Would you take a vacation without your S.O.?

Options
SugarBabyGirl
SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
Have you ever taken a vacation without your significant other, or have you been left at home while they go away? If so, what sort of parameters do you set as far as budget and duration?

Replies

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yes. My husband used to take my son on ski trips and I would stay home. I will sometimes go to visit a girlfriend or meet her in Vegas without him and sometimes he'll go visit friends without me. Not more than a few days, a week at most. Sometimes you just don't want to do the same stuff. We're both cool with it.
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All the time, anywhere from a few days to a little over a week. I've done girl's weekends and trips to visit family. My SO hates the beach, so I go to my bro's Cape house without him every year, and in a few weeks I am going to a beach resort in the Dominican Republic without him. I also did London/Paris, Greece, and a week-long cruise without him. His trips without me include Comic Con, a few days in Cooperstown, a cross-country tour of the ballparks, Toronto, and visiting his best friend. It's just not a big deal.

Budget is a more difficult question, as it depends on whether you handle your finances together and what your financial situation is. It's also a difficult question since I don't know what type of trip you are I can only speak to my own habits - - I usually spend what I want and stay in nice hotels, but I'm not extravagant otherwise. No matter what, do some research, consider your travel style & habits and remember to discuss your additional expenses - a week on a beach sipping cocktails and a week visiting sights and shopping in Paris may require very different budgets.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    That's why it's considered a vacation B) and that's probably why I'm single.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    I'd go wherever @JessicaJS23 wanted...
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    My husband goes away to a board game convention once a year. He keeps trying to put together a guys trip to Vegas. Budget is whatever he feels reasonable to spend
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah. :D

Budget...low to moderate.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My wife an I enjoy one or two longer vacations together each year. She also takes one with her sisters. Last year they went to Germany. The year before that they went to New York. I think they are going to the Pacific Coast this year in April. Most years I take a Motorcycle trip with my buddies.

As far as budget goes, I don't know what she spends. I usually pay for our joint vacations and my Motorcycle runs with the guys. We've worked hard, saved and been fortunate enough that free time is harder to come by than money.
  • CardiganandFlannel
    CardiganandFlannel Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever. Neither has she.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    After 20+ years of marriage, it's not really a vacation if we go together (since we're always together). I'll be going to my 30 year reunion down in New Orleans this October and she's not going. I'm taking the kids, so it's kind of a vacation for both of us.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    We haven't yet and I can't imagine. Our favorite thing to do is travel so we try to as often as possible. In the 4 years we've been together we've gone to Mexico 6 times plus Florida and 3 other Caribbean islands. All of our holiday and birthday gifts go towards vacations.
  • ElainePEI
    ElainePEI Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    After many ruined vacations with ex-husband, would rather go with friends. But, it really depends on if your partner is your best friend. Would change your perspective. On that note, I need a vacation.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    My husband goes away to a board game convention once a year. He keeps trying to put together a guys trip to Vegas. Budget is whatever he feels reasonable to spend
    I want a guys trip to vegas......my boys are wack and complain about money......hotels are nothing there.

he needs some boys to go with his keep bailing...want me to hook you up? He only stays at nice places cause he once stayed at Circus Circus and will never again.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Being away from D is a vacation
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

So THIS!! ^^^^

• JessicaJS23
    Options

So THIS!! ^^^^

Jersey girl smarts!! B)
  • Shells918
    Options
    ellbarnes wrote: »
    After many ruined vacations with ex-husband, would rather go with friends. But, it really depends on if your partner is your best friend. Would change your perspective. On that note, I need a vacation.

Totally identify with that. My ex and I had very different ideas of what vacation meant and fought on every one including our honeymoon. That's why the new husband and I are so compatible about vacations. It was very important that we liked the same types of trips.
  • Shells918
    Options

So THIS!! ^^^^

Jersey girl smarts!! B)

Who's from Jersey? I'm from Jersey
  • JessicaJS23
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

So THIS!! ^^^^

Jersey girl smarts!! B)

Who's from Jersey? I'm from Jersey

Raises Hand and points at Tracey haha.

• constancenj
    constancenj Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I went to Denmark and Germany without mine.... and truthfully I'd do it again! He's a lazy bum, so I'd rather go with friends who would actually find fun things to do.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes. We take separate vacations at times. I don't want to spend my entire vacation camping, or tromping through a jungle infested with venomous snakes I've never even heard of. Sometimes staying home is the best vacation there is.