Can Anyone Look Like an Athlete?

Options
Can anyone who puts their mind to it get the body of their dreams? Or are some people genetically incapable of getting there? I've been doing Insanity and Hip Hop abs, after I finish this round I am on to Zumba and Brazil Butt Lift. I am 5'6" and a size six. I am not overweight but I want to push my body to the next level and go from healthy to "dayummm!!" with a leaner body head to toe. :o)

Will all my hard work pay off and get me to the body no one in my family has, or is there a limit to how thin and lean each person can get?

Thanks for any input everyone!

Replies

• skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    anyone can look like an athlete. but athletes look very different too. check out this link & the pictures here. I hung them in my room for inspiration.

http://www.stumptuous.com/why-dont-you-look-like-a-fitness-model

Look at the thumbnails. 5 different pages of athletes.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    YOU make the body that YOU want!! and with Beachbody, you are definitely on the right track, but yes, you are goin gto have to push past your current limits and keep going!

you can have the body you want!!! i promise :)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't think everyone can get there as athletes also have a lot more time (normally) to devote to working out. If you work full time doing something else it's very hard to fit in 3-5 hours of training (or more!) a day. That said, I've seen some amazing looking woman at my gym who work full time and look very sculpted and toned!! I think it also takes discipline and patience.

Good luck I hope you get there :D
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Robyn1733
    Robyn1733 Posts: 58
    Options
    huh, that is totally interesting to bring up and think about. I would assume you could whittle yourself down to whatever, but it all depends on your bone structure. That you cannot change. For my family, we have big hips. I would assume for myself, I can tone them down, but they will still stick out.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not an expert on this subject. I know some people that based on bone structure can't look like an athlete. I have a friend who has a barrel chest - no amount of exercise is going to change that. But looking at your pictures I think it's totally possible for you if that's what you want.

BTW - I think you look fabulous!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    There IS a limit but it really depends on what the "body of your dreams" is. For example: things like wrist size, abdominal belly shape/size, shoulder structure, and where/how my body stores fat would prevent me from achieving the identical physique as someone who had vastly different characteristics.

As a general question though, no, there isn't anything genetic that would keep someone from getting a "dayummm!!" physique. (Although for women, it's probably worth keeping in mind that many female athletes have irregular periods due to the below-healthy levels of bodyfat that they maintain.)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The honest answer is... not necessarily, but it depends on the goal. Look at swimmers in the Olympics for instance. A majority of them have a V-shape body, very slim, lean muscle, etc. But then look at the distance swimmers in the Olympics... usually not a whole lot of muscle tone and sometimes even a little fat around their midsections. Then look at world class marathon runners... pretty skinny folks w/ out a whole lot of a 'dream body' scenario going on.

As a former distance swimmer, the more in shape I get and the more weight I lose, the more I realize that I really do have a 'swimmers body'... long arms, wide shoulders, kinda lanky, not a whole lot of muscle (as hard as I may try). Just my opinion though...
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The only limits are the ones you give yourself :P
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think people under estimate genetics and what they allow you to accomplish.
    That said just because no one in your family has the body you want, doesn't mean you can't get there. It just may take a lot of work and strict eating. Or it may end up coming "fairly" easy.
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    anyone can look like an athlete. but athletes look very different too. check out this link & the pictures here. I hung them in my room for inspiration.

http://www.stumptuous.com/why-dont-you-look-like-a-fitness-model

Look at the thumbnails. 5 different pages of athletes.

That is so inspiring! Thank you! I guess it does depend on what kind of physique you're going for.
  • TranceGirl
    Options
    I am definitely not an expert on this subject. I know some people that based on bone structure can't look like an athlete. I have a friend who has a barrel chest - no amount of exercise is going to change that. But looking at your pictures I think it's totally possible for you if that's what you want.

BTW - I think you look fabulous!

Thank you! I can honestly say I am working my BUTT off!!! :D
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work nearly that hard to get the body of an athlete. You should also pick an athlete because you may notice that some have very different bodies.

And yes, genetics can keep you from getting there. I point you to NBA Basketball Players. Look at the differences in the bodies across different heritages and race.

Very few have the genetics to have an elite body or perform at an elite level.

Reasonable goals, Goal met, set another. Repeat until you hit your genetic limit. It should become obvious what that is.

Don't need to train 3-5 hours a day to get that body. Hour a week MAX!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That depends on which athlete you are talking about? Michael Phelps is an athlete. So is Vin Diesel. Oksana Baiul As well. Body builders, swimmers, base ball players, and sumo wrestlers are all athletes.

What direction do you want to take your body? Then, yes, it you can look like an athlete. However, knowing your body will help you keep a realistic goal as well.

... I will never look like Oksana Baiu, but my goal is to be a power lifter, maybe a body builder.
  • LieutenantJoker
    Options
    As much as I hate those Crossfitters, I think they struck upon something very crucial when one of their female members made the observation that most female "fitness models" aren't fit at all. They diet and probably do the elliptical too much, but they're not ATHLETIC.
  • TranceGirl
    Options
    You don't have to work nearly that hard to get the body of an athlete. You should also pick an athlete because you may notice that some have very different bodies.

And yes, genetics can keep you from getting there. I point you to NBA Basketball Players. Look at the differences in the bodies across different heritages and race.

Very few have the genetics to have an elite body or perform at an elite level.

Reasonable goals, Goal met, set another. Repeat until you hit your genetic limit. It should become obvious what that is.

Don't need to train 3-5 hours a day to get that body. Hour a week MAX!

Hey thanks for your input! I'd say my role models are Allison Stokke (pole vaulter) and Lindsey Vonn (Skier) . Here are links to pics I like of both of them.

Allison Stokke: http://www.bettertradessports.com/articles/allison-stokke-hottest-athlete-google-it

Lindsey Vonn: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/winter/lindsey-vonn/10_lindsey-vonn_30.html
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    They both look to have narrow hips. Do you? Don't know if you ever ski or snowboard but it is a killer workout.
  • TranceGirl
    Options
    They both look to have narrow hips. Do you? Don't know if you ever ski or snowboard but it is a killer workout.

Hmmm kinda? I don't have wide or narrow hips. I am definitely not V shape like swimmer. I'd say I'm pretty proportional. I've got a big behind for sure but that goes to the back and thankfully not too much on the side. LOL I'll give it all I got and see what happens. I definitely think there is always room for improvement.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Hmmm kinda? I don't have wide or narrow hips. I am definitely not V shape like swimmer. I'd say I'm pretty proportional. I've got a big behind for sure but that goes to the back and thankfully not too much on the side. LOL I'll give it all I got and see what happens. I definitely think there is always room for improvement.

Ha, I'm a dude and have a slight V-shape only because of really wide shoulders... and I have child bearing hips... go figure!