Quaker instant oatmeal

Options
I don't eat it now bit I was going too start if it is healthy. Do any of you eat it and what are some good flavors?

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Ok in a pinch, but has added sugar & sodium.
    I make a large batch of steel cut oatmeal on Sundays and freeze it in individual portions. That way I can control what is put into it.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I prefer rolled oats to the instant, the have a bit more texture and are great in smoothies, bircher muesli (similar to overnight oats) or cooked up with apple and/or banana and cinnamon and maybe some nuts as porridge.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Those "good flavors" is exactly what makes instant oatmeal less healthy :s Use ordinary oatmeal, cook it with water/milk, and add your own flavorings - it's cheaper and you have more control.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats are vastly superior to the instant oats.
    You can make refridgerator oatmeal the night before and add anything like yogurt, sliced almonds, or bacon the next morning.
    http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2014/09/overnight-refrigerator-oatmeal-yogurt.html
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Apple cinnamon. Packets are easy, but so is making it from scratch. I find the packets to be too sweet for me; I like to chop up an apple while my oats cook, then mix it all in.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I like maple and brown sugar or apples and cinnamon.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If you like it, eat it and log it.

Instant oatmeal isn't going to make or break anything. It's neither inherently 'healthy' of 'unhealthy' nor is consuming it within your calorie and macronutritional goals going to make you 'healthy' or 'unhealthy'.

View your diet in overall context, not as individual foods.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I eat it when I work during the week. Cinnamon and Spice is my favorite. I go for the lower sugar ones. I don't have to think about portion size and it is easy to make at work.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I like the fruits and cream flavors. I make it with 1/4 cup of 1% milk for 158 calories. If I make old fashioned oats, I use so much sugar and milk for taste that the calories are no longer worth spending. I usually have a bowl around 2pm as my first food of the day. Keeps me full until dinner.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just get the plain one, and I add things like protein powder or peanut butter or berries.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can also cook the old fashion oats in the microwave (3 minutes give me the texture I like). If you want extra flavor in it, try adding a banana before cooking it in the microwave.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For a quick breakfast, I like a packet of the plain kind cooked with a chopped up banana and a tablespoon of chunky peanutbutter, topped with a little milk. On the weekends, I'll make steel-cut oats with chopped apple, walnuts, and chia seeds, topped with milk and (real) maple syrup and sometimes a little cinnamon.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for lower sugar varieties. These still taste good without the crazy high sugar content.

For texture, nothing beats steel cut oats. For a 5 minute version, look for instant steel cut oats. I like adding PB2 and maple syrup.
  • dcoitino77
    dcoitino77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are the best non flavored. The flavored ones are high in sugar. To sweeten it up cut some banana slices and mix it up
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been eating the "weight control" instant oatmeal. 160 calories, 6 grams fiber, 7 grams protein, and only 1 gram of sugar. That's all I've had for breakfast the past three weeks and it keeps me full and I've lost weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't fill me up at all because it's basically pure carbs. Now I buy plain oats and add my own nuts and protein powder.
  • canadianbugga
    canadianbugga Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time. I will quite often have one for a snack at work. I get the plain ones and mix it with fruit, peanut butter and bananas, and/or a bit of yogurt.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    bdorri00 wrote: »
    I've been eating the "weight control" instant oatmeal. 160 calories, 6 grams fiber, 7 grams protein, and only 1 gram of sugar. That's all I've had for breakfast the past three weeks and it keeps me full and I've lost weight.

I tried this^

It had a strange aftertaste (to me). This has fake sugar, but I'm okay with that.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal packets are processed with tons of added sugar. If that's a concern for you, just go with the big container of Quaker instant oats.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like the maple and brown sugar. It has a bit more sodium than I would like for a single packet but it can be a great, quick snack. I also like Nature's Path Organics instant oatmeal which tends to have a little more fiber and protein as well as less sugar and salt. It depends on what I find at the store in gluten free when I go shopping.