Protein

Options
Anyone have ideas for high protein but low fat foods? Peanut butter has protein but also fat, eggs protein but cholesterol, Greek yogurt protein but sugar, etc. any other suggestions?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and 1% fat cottage cheese are a couple to go to.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is fine. Fat is good. It's an essential part of a balanced diet that plays a part in hormone regulation.

Eggs are fine. Dietary cholesterol is not a problem. The evidence shows that for the majority of the population dietary cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol levels neither does it increase the risk of heart disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19852882

Greek yogurt is fine. Sugar in Greek yogurt is not a problem when consumed in the correct context and dosage. Overconsumption of sugar, just like anything else, is the problem.

Anyway, to answer your question. Eat some chicken and drink some whey.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a protein bar? Next time you go to walmart or target, take a look. They are by the vitamins.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Almost any protein source is going to come with other stuff. If need your protein that isolated, they do sell stuff called whey protein isolate in health food stores and online.

Otherwise, what else has been said about most of the tag along macros, micros, and what not are correct. Sugar and fat tend to be problematic because of the calorie overconsumption that usually comes with them. If you're using MFP and tracking your protein, you already have calories controlled.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'll also throw out there are processed plant sources of protein that tend to just have fiber along for the ride, like seitan, textured vegetable protein, or low fat tofu.
    I suppose there is also fat free cheese - that tends to be low carb. I don't believe most people like the taste.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I recently discovered Chobani Greek Yogurt, which I buy in bulk at Costco. Comes in strawberry, peach, black cherry and blueberry flavors. Each package has 130 calories, 12 g of protein, 19 g of carbs and no fat. It tastes delicious and I use it every day and even eat extra if I need to top off my protein macro for the day.

Nevermind.... I just noticed you wrote greek yogurt. Sorry!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Anyone have ideas for high protein but low fat foods? Peanut butter has protein but also fat, eggs protein but cholesterol, Greek yogurt protein but sugar, etc. any other suggestions?

What's wrong with having a little fat?

Plain 0% greek yogurt has no fat and only the natural dairy sugar. What's wrong with that? 0% cottage cheese has much less sugar and no fat. Many fishes have not much fat and the fattier ones have fat that is actually affirmatively good for most people (as lacking in their diets). Other seafood (like shrimp) is high protein and quite low fat. Lean chicken (skinless breast), turkey (same), and lean cuts of pork and beef also don't have a whole lot of fat. (Pork chops and tenderloin are commonly low fat. Skirt steak, lean ground beef, and a variety of other cuts of beef same.) There's always game, too -- much of that will be lower fat.

For a plant-based source, soybean based products (like tofu, tempeh, edamame) have a good amount of protein and little to no fat. Beans and lentils also have a decent amount of protein with little fat.

You can also always do egg whites, but I personally think whole eggs are far more nutritious and superior all around, so don't.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a protein bar? Next time you go to walmart or target, take a look. They are by the vitamins.

Be care with the protein bars. They can be very misleading... Quest protein bars are high in protein and low in carbs and sugar.