NYC and eating tips.....

Options
We're going to NYC july 1st to 6th to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. However it's going to be different than the way we use to travel. We normally look forward to trips because of food. We have little plans but to relax with each other. We're staying in time square (thanks to reward pts so we don't have to pay) however food choices.....McDonald's seems to be around every corner and lots of junk to eat. I want to be proud of myself and enjoy a trip without filling myself with junk. I don't mind a special treat to celebrate but I don't want to be sick from the crap we ate. (Seems to be the thing we do to ourself.) Need ideas for meals. I don't want to pack a ton of food but I'm thinking bringing some may be a good choice. (almonds, fruit strips, etc...) Anyone have thoughts? We're going to get cardio in by going for runs in central park and the gym at the hotel. The goal is to shut off the cell phones (all 3 personal and work) and just be together. I'm a huge planner but we don't have any plans set (maybe to sleep in and get cardio in).

Replies

• freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I travel, I try to go places to eat where I can't go when I'm at home (so that counts out MacDonalds). I tend to bring healthy snacks to keep me going during the day as we keep busy doing things (apples, almonds, or yogurt for breakfast if you have a mini fridge/bar fridge to keep some small things in). Snacks during the day may cut down on some cravings you have at meal time, and then when you go out you can opt for some more healthy choices - salads, etc.
  • jennafish7
    Options
    We just went on a trip in March to AZ and I actually maintained weight on it! How we did it was when we got there, stopped at a grocery store to buy a few things like healthy snacks and something good for breakfast each morning (oatmeal, fruits, a small milk, etc) it helps if your hotel room has a fridge and microwave.
    we took the healthy snacks with us in my purse and usualy weren't crazy hungry until early dinner. We had a good dinner, which we usually didn't finish, then took it back to the hotel room for maybe lunch the next day. All the walking and hiking we did helped in the fitness area.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Also, map out a market/grocery store close to your hotel, so you don't need to pack so many things, you can pick up some snacks there.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    I live in NYC and there are plenty of healthy options for you. Albeit pricey. You will find lots of markets within walking distance of Times Square.
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    I can't post too much right now but I live here in NY and would love to keep in touch about this. I am going to send you a friend request and reach out to you tomorrow when I have my day off. I know a lot of places in the city and can help put you in the right direction. I also do meal delivery services to people as a side job, if you are at all interested in that we can talk but most importantly just make a plan to split a lot of your food and treat yourself with something nutritious, unprocessed and tasty. Not processed crap.

I will be in touch :)
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    Shoot I just realized your dates are when I will also be out of town so I will not be able to do the meal delivery. Sorry about that but I can give you a butt load of great places to go.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    awesome! The market is a must. My husband travels a lot for his job so he stops at a walmart or target to stock up. I think we find a local market that would be great. We'll have a fridge in our room and microwave. We can store fruit and other good options. I know there are ways to stay on track I've never actually done it. In January I ran 42.4 miles at walt disney world and still came home 8lbs extra. I refuse to do that again!

Any ideas on romantic things to do that won't cost an arm and a leg. I know central park is a must for us. In 2009 we were there and didn't get a chance to spend much time there. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a picnic together. We've been together for 13 years and I've never gone on a picnic with him. It's our 10th anniversary and he'll be close to celebrating 11 yrs cancer free. Time to enjoy just the two of us! (love my 3 kids but need some us time)
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Strawberry fields for a picnic.