13»

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Out of sight.

Freeze.

Give away.

Or, just remember your goals and stop eating it. :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my kids' candy, it belongs to them. Then again they got all their candy from the Easter bunny, who quite smartly chose things I'm not very fond of, and rounded out their baskets with bubbles, chalk, and stuffed animals ;). They got a reasonable amount of candy, so I'm not worried about policing their intake. That said, since your kids got too much I would sit down with them and have them select their favorite items to keep, in reasonable quantity, and either throw the rest out (better in the garbage can than on your hips - it's not doing anyone any good in either location) or pawn it off at work or through some other venue (the VA is a great idea!). As for avoiding eating any of their remaining candy - get yourself some really good quality dark chocolate and have a square or two a day when the urge strikes. Just make sure to account for it in your intake.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would just throw it out. For me, I just forget about it in the freezer and it goes bad anyway.

In the future, just don't buy that much Easter candy. Most Easter candy is crap you can get year round anyway. Even Cadbury Cream Eggs you can find again in September/October as spooky Halloween eggs.

We buy candy year round and once you get used to having it around, it becomes 'meh'. Why binge on it when it is literally always going to be there? I know this is hard to believe, but candy can get old and boring, just like any other food if you have access to and eat it all the time.

For kids's Easter baskets, yeah, get them a little bit of candy, but also some other non-edible items that are fun and they need. Like I got my 10yo daughter her first hair dryer for Easter and she was over the moon excited about that. She didn't whine that she only got 4 pieces of candy (2 Cadbury Cream Eggs, a snack sized bag of Cadbury Eggs, and a 100g Dove chocolate bar).
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I employ a strategy of being really picky. I got my child candy for Easter that I don't like or aren't my favorite--butterfinger, kit-kat, etc. No peanut butter cups, because temptation. I do the same at Halloween.

I like very dark chocolate and I have a little bit every day. A little goes a long way. With that to look forward to, all that milk chocolate, which is much lower in quality in my opinion, isn't a problem.
  • skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have very little willpower.. I would have to not go near it or toss it. Out of sight out of mind.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    We could that putting the candy in a cupboard worked well to cut down on random munching without depriving everyone.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Cover it in asbestos.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Choose not to eat it.
    Step 2: Repeat step 1.

It's your kids' candy, so it's not yours anyway.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am with the people who said toss it. Trash can burns way more calories than I do.

I really want to practice moderation. In my opinion it is the most sane way to eat. I will not torture myself though. If there is something I will not be reasonable about, I remove it from my existence.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My wife had me put it upstairs in the laundry room because "she wasn't likely to go a flight of stairs for candy" but "the kids could still get to it."

Personally, when I want to stop eating something, I just stop eating it...

...and if I wanted a piece of candy, a flight of stairs would be not even a little deterrent.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Send it to me please!!! I'll eat it!!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    There are places around here that take certain kinds of candy as donations for chemo patients. If you have some hard candy, that may be an option, or donate some to shelters.