Dietician macros seem off

Options
Stats: 5'4 124 lbs, female

I recently went to a dietician who told me I should increase my calories from 1,200 to 1,500 with the amount of exercise I am doing (30-35 min of intense cardio, 40 mins strength training 6x week). That seemed to make sense to me. Then she told me I should be eating 60% carbs (225g), 15% protein(56g) and 25% fat (42g).

This seems like a lot of carbs and a very low amount of protein to me. I am trying to lose stomach fat -the most stubborn place for me :( - and get a little tone. Are these macro amounts correct for that goal? She didn't seem to think I needed to lose any weight or tone up, as I am within 4 lbs of being the best weight for my height but I disagree.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Did you ask why the protein is so low?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is far too little protein for strength training.
  • morganpalmer9
    morganpalmer9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

She said I fell between a moderately active adult who should eat .36 of protein per lb and a recreational exerciser who eats .5 to .7 and recommended I eat .4 grams of protein per pound. I'm not trying to get jacked or anything, just would like to look trim
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So you paid someone to help you who is trained in diet.

Those macros she gave you are U.S. dietary recommendations. It's also very close to what Myfitnesspal uses for macro defaults.

You're going to do what you want. Personally I'd use the set numbers. Not everyone needs a high protein amount.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Eating protein doesn't make you get jacked. If only it were that easy! Recommendations for protein vary, but I think more like 0.8g per pound is better to maintain muscle.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree it is too little.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 0.8g per lb of body weight, right about 100g a day for you
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

She said I fell between a moderately active adult who should eat .36 of protein per lb and a recreational exerciser who eats .5 to .7 and recommended I eat .4 grams of protein per pound. I'm not trying to get jacked or anything, just would like to look trim

What exercise are you doing?
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm a Dietitian- I agree that her protein goal is too low for strength training/muscle preservation during weight loss. Go for an average of 20-25% protein. (I calculated you at ~85 g protein daily.) 1500 kcal makes sense for weight loss with your activity level. I agree with her that you do not need to lose weight for health reasons. Your goals, however, are yours alone, and as long as you're meeting them in a healthy way, no problem.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options

Then you come on here and ask random strangers to second-guess the Registered Dietician and we random strangers don't have the benefit of your entire history, etc?

Those macros she gave you are U.S. dietary recommendations. It's also very close to what Myfitnesspal uses for macro defaults.

You're going to do what you want. Personally I'd use the set numbers. Not everyone needs a high protein amount.

never said I was blindly going to change my diet plan based on commenters. Just wanted to see what others protein intakes were, but thanks
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm a Dietitian- I agree that her protein goal is too low for strength training/muscle preservation during weight loss. Go for an average of 20-25% protein. (I calculated you at ~85 g protein daily.) 1500 kcal makes sense for weight loss with your activity level. I agree with her that you do not need to lose weight for health reasons. Your goals, however, are yours alone, and as long as you're meeting them in a healthy way, no problem.

seconded!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've seen the 60/20/20 float around a lot not 60/15/25 especially with doing strength training. I know when I went to my dietician that she upped my carbs way higher than I ever thought I'd get them (and rarely did), and I was forever over in protein.
    If you feel it's inaccurate or just plain not right, go and speak to another dietician and get a second opinion. They're the professionals and should have a better grasp on your physical condition that we can.
  • PennyJB63
    PennyJB63 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello! My dietician is also a body builder who runs and owns his own gym. He would have felt that the protein was too low as well. I agree the calories are spot on but would adjust just a bit for more protein and less carbs if it was me. He and I have worked for 6 months tweaking my diets and macros and what he has taught me has worked very well for me personally. It does not fit perfectly with MFP because it is an individual plan for me and directly related to what I want to do and how active I am, with what type of training. I was very nervous to leave 1200 calories behind like MFP suggested and move to his 1500 but I did. He slowly increased my protein so she may be looking to start lower but build up over time. I was lucky I could reach out to him after our meeting and ask random questions like this and raise any concerns I had but I had to trust his expertise or it would not work. Can you call her ask if she would be okay with a slight adjustment to your protein and carbs or ask if she has a plan for the future that would adjust for them. Sometimes important details they need are not given at the meeting and you think of them after. As for the person who was a jerk and said oh so you pay and then ask us questions. I am pretty sure we are all trying to find what works for us. This is the place of a hundred experts who have experience a dietician would envy. Ease up after all this is an open forum and putting someone down is not helping anything. In short stop being a jerk!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    PennyJB63 wrote: »
    Hello! My dietician is also a body builder who runs and owns his own gym. He would have felt that the protein was too low as well. I agree the calories are spot on but would adjust just a bit for more protein and less carbs if it was me. He and I have worked for 6 months tweaking my diets and macros and what he has taught me has worked very well for me personally. It does not fit perfectly with MFP because it is an individual plan for me and directly related to what I want to do and how active I am, with what type of training. I was very nervous to leave 1200 calories behind like MFP suggested and move to his 1500 but I did. He slowly increased my protein so she may be looking to start lower but build up over time. I was lucky I could reach out to him after our meeting and ask random questions like this and raise any concerns I had but I had to trust his expertise or it would not work. Can you call her ask if she would be okay with a slight adjustment to your protein and carbs or ask if she has a plan for the future that would adjust for them. Sometimes important details they need are not given at the meeting and you think of them after. As for the person who was a jerk and said oh so you pay and then ask us questions. I am pretty sure we are all trying to find what works for us. This is the place of a hundred experts who have experience a dietician would envy. Ease up after all this is an open forum and putting someone down is not helping anything. In short stop being a jerk!

Name calling really isn't necessary.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    TBH you'll get different answers from different RDs based on his/her experience and particular area of expertise. We are taught certain things in school (15% of kcal from protein is optimal) and then go on to learn that these "perfect" levels are actually highly variable. You will still see good results from a 60/15/25 with calorie restriction. The most updated research supports that you will see the greatest benefit from increasing the protein in weight loss and strength training.

I'm a dialysis RD with a great deal of personal experience in weight loss/muscle gain, and I would likely concede to a sports RD if he/she has a different answer.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I run on the treadmill for 30-35 6x a week, and try to do HIIT. Then I do 40ish minutes of strength training and it depends on the day what I specifically do, but I will either do arms and abs one day and then legs the next.
  • AJ_G
    Options

U.S. dietary recommendations are just enough protein to prevent muscle atrophy lol. It's a minimum, not anywhere near the optimal protein intake for maximum muscle mass retention during weight loss.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I run on the treadmill for 30-35 6x a week, and try to do HIIT. Then I do 40ish minutes of strength training and it depends on the day what I specifically do, but I will either do arms and abs one day and then legs the next.

You're missing two of your biggest muscle groups: Chest and Back
  • morganpalmer9
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

U.S. dietary recommendations are just enough protein to prevent muscle atrophy lol. It's a minimum, not anywhere near the optimal protein intake for maximum muscle mass retention during weight loss.

so what % is ideal?
  • AJ_G
    Options
    It's not a percentage. To maximize the potential for muscle protein synthesis, you should consume 0.82 grams of protein per lb of body weight.

If you'd like to understand why, read up: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/