what did you eat to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• deannaelaine1993
    deannaelaine1993 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    So you burned about 1000 calories? If so how??? Lol i workput for half an hour n only burn 110. Calories so if i burn what i eat i have to do this 10 times

Zumba! You can do classes or get videos for at home. The one I had burned a little over 600 in an hour
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    What did you eat to lose weight? I never stick to a diet longer than a week because I always run out of things to eat for lunch and dinner.

Ate less than I burned. Works every time. B)
    So you burned about 1000 calories? If so how??? Lol i workput for half an hour n only burn 110. Calories so if i burn what i eat i have to do this 10 times

Only if you want to. I would just leave 110 calories available at the end of the day(meaning have a 110 calorie deficit). For me, as long as I have calories left at the end of the day and I can close my diary under my goal, I'm happy. Even if it is only 30 calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Your body is burning calories all day long just keeping you alive. With everyday activity added to that, most people burn well more than 1000 calories a day even before exercise.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What did you eat to lose weight? I never stick to a diet longer than a week because I always run out of things to eat for lunch and dinner.

Ate less than I burned. Works every time. B)

At my current height/weight/age - I have my calorie counter at MFP set to 1520 calories a day (sedentary setting) with the goal of losing 1 pound per week. I have about 2 - 3 weeks to go (2-3 more pounds) before I rotate over into maintenance. I always then add my exercise calorie burn "guesstimation" for the day from whatever "gizmo" I use to measure my exercise (iPhone App, HR chest strap, power meter on the bike, etc.) for the day, but when losing weight I do not eat back all of the exercise calories. The calories in vs. calories out model (CICO) is what works for me and I use it for losing, maintaining, and gaining weight.

So to sum it up - I eat fewer calories (calories in) vs. those I burn (calories out). That's the only known method to lose weight. You have to eat less than your body needs which is called a calorie deficit.

Works every time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Setting a reasonable calorie goal (to lose 1 pound a week). Weighing and logging my food. Staying within my calories. Exercising at least 6x a week.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

For lunch I tend to make a sandwich with low-cal bread, baby carrots, string cheese or a hard boiled egg, and an ounce of nuts.

Dinner tends to be some kind of meat with as many veggies as I can manage on the side. It varies depending on what's on sale/seasonal. And I try to save room for a little ice cream after.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you burn includes calories the body uses just existing. You don't need to exercise off 1000 calories in that's how many you've eaten today because the body also requires calories to function (a baseline of 1200 for women and 1500 for men but it's a bit more complex than that). Most people find it hard to burn 1000 calories during workouts.

Enter your stats into MFP, pick a reasonable goal and eat that plus a little of your exercise calories (I happen to eat all of mine but experience shows me my burns are accurate).

I eat whatever I want but with an emphasis on lean protein and plenty of veg to keep me full and satisfied.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    lol - yeah just ate normal.

You know "normal" is the same for all of us.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Have you has a chance to read through some of the stickied threads yet? They're great:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101

I tried to make a list of all the foods you can eat while dieting, once. It didn't go well, but maybe you can see why this is such a big question: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10190957/help-what-can-i-eat/p1
  • gilbyfc
    gilbyfc Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    breakfast - eggbeaters
    lunch - turkey burger and veggies
    dinner - normal dinner but smaller portions

Pack your lunches for the week.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    So you'll eat pizza, hamburgers, fries, cake, chocolate, etc as long as you fit it in your calories?
    Whatever I would normally eat...just less of it. Plus some foods that fill me up fast.

+1 It's that simple.

Yes. Not all the time. Not in the large portions I used to consume. For example, I used to eat a Big Mac, large fries, and Coke. Now I will get a Mcdouble only, Diet Coke, and a side salad with low cal dressing (or eat it at home with a pile of roasted veggies).

Old way=1,000+ calories
    New way= about 400-500 cal
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So you'll eat pizza, hamburgers, fries, cake, chocolate, etc as long as you fit it in your calories?

Sure. A life without pizza is a life I don't want to live. Restrictive diets where you cut out types of food completely would NEVER work for me. SIL always trying to get me to try Atkins. What so I can never eat a piece of bread again? Yeah, right. She's lost and gained the same 30lbs over again for 2 years doing that, no thanks.

BUT, I have to limit the pizza, only because 2 or 3 slices of pizza is a big chunk of my daily calorie goal. SO if I want pizza for dinner I need to eat not that much the rest of the day, or "bank" calories over several days.

I've pretty much given up fries because to me, they're not worth the calories I have to spend on them. I could get 2 hamburgers instead of a hamburger and fries for the same calories, and that would be much more satisfying and filling for me. YMMV of course.

These are the tradeoffs you learn to make when you get used to logging and tracking. You'll figure it out as you go, we all did :)
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I was just on another thread saying that I do occasionally still eat fast food like Burger King but instead of the usual 760 calories Whopper w/cheese I get a whopper no cheese no mayo and now that's 400 no side and a diet soda. And you truly don't have to burn 1000 cal a day. losing weight is all about CI/CO I exercise to give me a bigger deficit so I can eat more or when I've eaten over maintenance.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Whatever I would normally eat...just less of it. Plus some foods that fill me up fast.

+1 It's that simple.

Yes. Not all the time. Not in the large portions I used to consume. For example, I used to eat a Big Mac, large fries, and Coke. Now I will get a Mcdouble only, Diet Coke, and a side salad with low cal dressing (or eat it at home with a pile of roasted veggies).

Old way=1,000+ calories
    New way= about 400-500 cal

Exactly. Instead of having 2 slices of pizza, breadsticks, soda, and dessert. Now I'll have a slice of pizza and maybe a bite or two of a breadstick or dessert (not both), and water.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

+1 It's that simple.

Absolutely. more so the first 3 as I don't have a sweet tooth. But I generally don't eat pizza/burgers/fries via restaurants/fast food. I make them at home where I can control portion size, ingredients (for lower fat/calorie options) and cooking methods (grilling burgers, baking fries). Very easy to put them into your limits when you have more control. And usually tastes better too.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This is why I like the recipe maker on this site - often I'll say "you know, this week I'm really craving pasta. I know that for a lot of diets they say don't eat pasta, so let me get a recipe and put it in the recipe tracker and see the calorie count." Then I can look at the ingredients and recognize that if I replace something like cream cheese with a lower calorie version, or bacon with my bacon molasses seasoning, or halve the cheese, and eat in the proper proportions, I can make pasta work easily.

I do generally look for things that aren't as calorie-dense, because otherwise I would be so hungry all day (and I really have to have that boredom-killer of munching at work), but it's totally doable on normal food.
  • michaeyayyyy
    michaeyayyyy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just stay in 1,500 to 1,700 per day
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

+1 It's that simple.

You bet!

I had burgers on Tuesday. I'm having pizza tonight. I have sweet potato fries maybe once a month...i just don't like fries that much. I eat chocolate daily, multiple times a day. I don't really like cake? But I have had it, if it's a nice rich fudgey cake.

I also eat heaps of broccoli, green beans, lean fishes and meats as well, because I do best when I feel physically full in my stomach (ie: lots of lean protein and fiber). But I haven't STOPPED eating anything.

Your question about how to "eat what you burn" caught my eye though. Your body is burning calories all day. You can lie like a vegetable, in bed, and hardly blink, and you will burn calories. You know what calories are? Heat energy. You know how your body is warm? Ta da! OMG we're amazing little machines. Your heart is pumping, your lungs are expanding and contracting, your cells are reproducing, your kidney and liver are working away to cleanse your body of what it doesn't like, your intestines are undulating, your brain is firing away...pew! pew! pew! The number of calories it takes to do all of this is called your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate. Anything above that is part of your TDEE, or Today Daily Energy Expenditure (which is your BMR + calories burned from every activity you do). Now, MFP will calculate this for you when you set your goals! Enter your stats (weight/height/activity level, etc) and it will let you know how many calories you can eat it in a day.

If you're curious, you can also just find your BMR here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Or calculate your TDEE here: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

(I welcome suggestions for other calculating sites from other MFP-ers :)

@veliia feel free to friend me and ask me more questions if you'd like!

I am 5'10", female, 31 years old, and 165 lbs (was 290 at my highest). My BMR is about 1550 calories per day.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I didn't do 'drastic' changes.
    Brown rice instead white rice. Only chicken and no ground beef. No cheeses since they are high in saturated fats and I'm watching my saturated fats, trying to stay 10g or under. I'm trying not to go out to eat as often either. If I do, I try to find something on the "lighter" side. I have only drank water for a week, besides the one cup (8oz) of diet orange soda I had on Easter because they had no water bottles at their house. No snacking almost endlessly.

I mean, I won't lie. I definitely want to have a nice slice of cheese pizza, and I can make it fit in my calorie goal, but I want to maintain the saturated fats as a second goal. First week I lost 5 pounds, so I'm sticking to it.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everything and everything I ate before except I didn't eat mindlessly as I used to. Serving size wins the prize each time. It is about life change not a diet - lil by lil you will learn how to supplement for higher nutrition foods