In my 40's it's so much harder!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You should check out californiagirl2012 on here. She is a great inspiration to me.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and for me it's harder than in my 30's but no less achievable. It just takes longer and developing a patient attitude was key. Log diligently every day, hit your numbers, and as you see the weight start coming off it builds it's own momentum.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The 60's are even worse! So, get it right in the 40's!
  • tlcs68
    tlcs68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes! I lost 50lbs about 7 years ago and now that I'm 47, I've hit a wall. It's so hard to take off now. Using MFP and counting calories this past week have given me hope, but it's still a struggle.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and this time around I'm finding it easier than ever before. Maybe cause as I'm getting older Ive learned to be more patient. Not to look for quick fixes and be dedicated. Sucking it up and buying a food scale a few months ago was the best decision I ever made because it is all about calories in/calories out. I was so used to my portions I didn't realized how grossly over estimated they were. I'm not in the gym 2-3hrs a day any more. I just eat the calories I'm allotted every day and try to get in as maybe steps a day as possible.
  • PhillyDDT
    PhillyDDT Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've dropped 35 in over a year and really didn't try as hard as I could have. Now I am putting in the extra effort and the results are coming. I feel it's been harder than when I lots 75 in my 30s. Got another 40 I want to lose by year's end.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    But just think. It's so much more worth it. When you are in your teens, 20s most everyone looks great. But when you are in your 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and you still look great? Then you really stand out above your peers! Power on!
  • JeffFit70
    JeffFit70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started at about 50 lbs heavier at 42. Just turned 46. Yes, there is less margin for error the older you get, but it is still compeltely doable.

Love seeing all the 40+ success stories.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 45 and it can be harder. However, I have better resources to make it happen. And I make it happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2LupsLlx1M
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lost weight and (more importantly) KEPT IT OFF for the first time in my life when I was 39. From the ages of 22 and 39 I roller-coastered anywhere between 150 and 235 pounds (I'm 5'9"). I'd say my average weight over those years was 205 pounds. When I was thin - I starved myself on 100 calories a day, I over-exercised, I ate cabbage soup, I did all kinds of crazy things. When I was fat - I ate and drank whatever I wanted with no attention to portions or total calories.

When I was 39, I decided that I didn't want to be fat and unfit at 40. So, I figured out my TDEE, made a modest calorie cut of 250 calories a day, and set out on a slow path to steady weight loss. All I did for exercise was plain old walking. It was the EASIEST thing I've ever done - even at 39 years old. The weight came off like clockwork. If I was honest with myself and accurate with my calorie counting, the 250/day cut allowed me to steadily lose .5 to 1 pound a week on average.

That was in 2011.

Now, five years later I still weigh right around 140-145 pounds - down from my start weight of 203. Losing weight was easy and maintaining has been pretty easy, too. I just had to commit and stay the course. I actually found losing weight to be easier at 39 than I did as a younger woman. I think it's mostly because I put all the crazy fads and 'dieting' aside and just focused on healthy food and portion control.

You can do it! Just make small changes and be patient.
  • robssexywife
    robssexywife Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    45 and struggling to stay motivated...when I do loose a lb. Or two it seems to take forever. I believe stress is a huge part of it. Any ideas?
    Due to financial problems I went back to work full time 2 yrs ago and have gained 35 lbs.
    Still have money stress( hubby is self employed and not steady income at all) plus work all day and a cute15, 5 and 6 yr old kiddos that are my second job when I get home!!
    People tell me if u r stressed you will never loose weight.....how can I get around this??
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    sweetyedie wrote: »
    Wait till you reach in your 60's.

You'll say your 40s were a piece of cake!
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and it is so much harder then when I was younger. At 19 I was trim and toned and it took no time or effort to get there or in my 20's. My 30's got a little harder. I lost 40 pounds in 11 mouths when I was 41 but I worked a full time and a part time job. The part time job I cleaned 3-4 hours a night 5x's a week. I ate the same but who wouldn't lose mopping, bending, walking and lifting and dumping crap that many hours at 5x's a week. I am not trying to workout like that now. I have changed my eating and started moving now but it's so slow and on top of that I have stalled. I guess a little bit more effort needs to be put forth as we get older. SW 243 CW 227 GW 155.
  • Hjaye7512
    Hjaye7512 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 as of December and it's so much harder agreed !!