Paleo diet: honest debate

robs_ready
robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
I've been reading a lot about the paleo diet recently, for a number of reasons, I wish to eliminate certain food types from my diet.

From what I've read, paleo diet restricts grains and only meat can be consumed if it's fed it's natural diet.

The diet advocates lots of fruit and vegetables, limited dairy (preferable none but that's not going to happen), nuts etc...

Some concerns are raised about lacking particular minerals, and that it's a restrictive diet.

I'd be happy to hear any comments on the diet, as I plan to begin shortly.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    What appeals to you about this plan?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    What are your objectives?
    Do you think you can sustain it?
    Why do you prefer it to other Ways of Eating?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I don't like diets that restrict for basically no reason. This is one of those diets.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I don't like diets that restrict for basically no reason. This is one of those diets.

Agreed.

Why not eat pizza, French fries, and waffles while being in a calorie deficit?
  • robs_ready
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the responses guys, it's quite complicated actually.

Im doing it for a number of reasons If I'm being honest;

1.Optimal physical health, clean eating.
    2.To have better skin
    3.To feel less tired associated with insulin spikes or food group intolerance.
    4.To aid with left over symptoms of adhd as a child, inattentiveness and sleep problems.
    5.To curb appetite

May all sound a bit too much, but I want to go wirh a diet which advocates better eating and doesn't cut out meat (I can't live without meat)

It's not that I'm anti grain, I'm just trying to determine whether it agrees with me or not.

• robs_ready

I understand, it's more of an experiment if I'm being honest.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I don't know. I wouldn't do it personally. Too many dumb rules. My life is hard enough without having to figure out what the cow I'm eating was eating.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

About covers it...
  • robs_ready
    Cool, any paleo dieters out there with any success on the diet?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    robs_ready wrote: »

2.To have better skin
    4.To aid with left over symptoms of adhd as a child, inattentiveness and sleep problems.
    5.To curb appetite

May all sound a bit too much, but I want to go wirh a diet which advocates better eating and doesn't cut out meat (I can't live without meat)

It's not that I'm anti grain, I'm just trying to determine whether it agrees with me or not.

Do you think cutting out pasta or the occasional apple pie will give you all of that?
    You could just eat a better overall diet. High in greens and fresh produce, with meat and dairy as you like.

It's called "eating better" it works well and doesn't require strict elimination, for example, of legumes, coffee or alcohol.

But certainly give it a try. Keep in mind the question - "Is this sustainable?"
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    'Clean eating' (whatever on earth that is) or a paleo™ diet is not required for optimal physical health.
    2.To have better skin
    A paleo™ diet is not required for you to have better skin.
    A paleo™ diet is not required to feel less tired due to insulin spikes (OH NOES INSULIN SPIKEZ) or food group intolerances.
    A paleo™ diet is not required to aid ADHD symptoms and sleep problems.
    5.To curb appetite
    A paleo™ diet is not required to curb appetite
    A paleo™ diet is not required for 'better' eating.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

2.To have better skin
    5.To curb appetite

Even assuming the diet accurately describes paleo man, do you believe they had less of the five issues you listed? There is evidence that ADHD might have been more common in Paleolithic man, if anything. Having a natural tendency not to sleep soundly, to be constantly moving and looking, to react very quickly to changes in the enviroment - do those sound like traits evolution would be removing from humans during an era of commonly struggling between being the predator and being the prey?
  • robs_ready

2.To have better skin
    5.To curb appetite

Do you think cutting out pasta or the occasional apple pie will give you all of that?
    You could just eat a better overall diet. High in greens and fresh produce, with meat and dairy as you like.

It's called "eating better" it works well and doesn't require strict elimination, for example, of legumes, coffee or alcohol.

Not a coffee drinker anymore but tea is always nice (I'm British) don't really eat legumes and alcohol turns me into an *kitten*. So I guess it's not that bad after all?

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    As for the actual evidence it mimics ancestoral human diets... They advocate eating meat which hunting and scavenging is only appeared in the last two million years, and became common maybe 500K to 1 million years ago, yet say we haven't had time to adapt to eating grains, even though evidence of sedges are found in ancestoral bone fragments dating to 4 million years ago.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    I've been reading a lot about the paleo diet recently, for a number of reasons, I wish to eliminate certain food types from my diet.

From what I've read, paleo diet restricts grains and only meat can be consumed if it's fed it's natural diet.

The diet advocates lots of fruit and vegetables, limited dairy (preferable none but that's not going to happen), nuts etc...

Some concerns are raised about lacking particular minerals, and that it's a restrictive diet.

I'd be happy to hear any comments on the diet, as I plan to begin shortly.

I did a 3ish month experiment with it, back in the day. For me personally it was a disaster. I ended up having some nasty digestive issues, bad breath, lethargy etc. And my grocery bill was INSANE. I didn't notice any positive differences either-no real weight loss etc. I'm glad I tried it, just for the personal data, but I'd never try it again.
  • robs_ready
    cityruss wrote: »
    'Clean eating' (whatever on earth that is) or a paleo™ diet is not required for optimal physical health.
    2.To have better skin
    A paleo™ diet is not required for you to have better skin.
    A paleo™ diet is not required to feel less tired due to insulin spikes (OH NOES INSULIN SPIKEZ) or food group intolerances.
    A paleo™ diet is not required to aid ADHD symptoms and sleep problems.
    5.To curb appetite
    A paleo™ diet is not required to curb appetite
    A paleo™ diet is not required for 'better' eating.

Who said it was?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    In for an honest discussion about pseudoscience
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    I tried it. It was a pain to be restrictive with no real results to justify the extra work or meal planning. By all means go ahead and try it for yourself. If you like it go with it it, if not try something new. I just look to hit my macros now. No special restrictions.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member

2.To have better skin
    5.To curb appetite

Not a coffee drinker anymore but tea is always nice (I'm British) don't really eat legumes and alcohol turns me into an *kitten*. So I guess it's not that bad after all?

Paleo British Tea?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I hated it and I was miserable.