Any swimmers out there?

Options
13»

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Browse the Swimsmooth website, it has some great info and videos for technique but check out also the CSS - 'critical swim speed' section. This is advice on what pace to swim at to improve your endurance and thus also your speed, it's different to just trying to swim as fast as you can each time and I genuinely think it made a difference to my swim times working at this lower intensity. Good luck on your swimming journey :)

Thank you! I will check it out!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I swim 4 miles a day minimum. 5 to 7 days a week. I only have time for 4 miles in the morning so some days I go back for a second swim after work. Yesterday I did a total of 220 laps, 10KM.
    A 90 second youtube video on the catchup drill cut my stroke count from 24/5 down to 18/19 per length.
    The only 'advice' I ever give is where ever you are at this week, try and ad 1 more lap next week.
    Check out the Swimmers group too.
  • annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's been quite a while since I've swam, but when I did, I swam competitively for 8 or so years and then was a lifeguard for a couple years after that.
    It's GREAT exercise but you do have to build your endurance just like running or any other exercise. My personal favorite was the Butterfly since it requires you to use so much of your body to make the rhythm correct. Once you get the rhythm down then it is really fun! You just glide through the water. I've seen plenty of competitive swimmers choose Butterfly over the traditional Freestyle and win their heat!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Swimming is VERY technique driven. If you have a bad stroke you get tired extremely fast. Trust me I know, my stroke is awful. Lessons will go a long way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »
    I have an awesome pond in my backyard that I can use for swimming, IF I can get over my fear of the fish and whatever else may be lurking in the water. foi29w951yv1.jpg

The fish are more afraid of you :)
  • nm212
    Options
    annherrin wrote: »
    It's been quite a while since I've swam, but when I did, I swam competitively for 8 or so years and then was a lifeguard for a couple years after that.
    It's GREAT exercise but you do have to build your endurance just like running or any other exercise. My personal favorite was the Butterfly since it requires you to use so much of your body to make the rhythm correct. Once you get the rhythm down then it is really fun! You just glide through the water. I've seen plenty of competitive swimmers choose Butterfly over the traditional Freestyle and win their heat!

Wow. I will have to try it! I'm still trying to get my freestyle down. :)
  • nm212
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I swim 4 miles a day minimum. 5 to 7 days a week. I only have time for 4 miles in the morning so some days I go back for a second swim after work. Yesterday I did a total of 220 laps, 10KM.
    A 90 second youtube video on the catchup drill cut my stroke count from 24/5 down to 18/19 per length.
    The only 'advice' I ever give is where ever you are at this week, try and ad 1 more lap next week.
    Check out the Swimmers group too.

Awesome. Dumb question, but how many laps are in a mile? I did 12 laps yesterday freestyle and 6 laps breaststroke or backstroke. It took me 30 min. No idea about miles though... I have to break up the freestyle cause I get tired.
  • nm212
    Options
    Ya, in general. A length would be one length of the pool, and that can vary, but I think the standard is 25 meters. I don't remember what that is in yards/feet. As long as you're adding distance, or decreasing time, you will definitely lose weight, so don't get too caught up in the actual distances just yet, focus on how you feel, controlled breathing, and oh ya, not drowning. ;)

haha thanks :)