Paleo diet: honest debate

Options

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    As for the actual evidence it mimics ancestoral human diets... They advocate eating meat which hunting and scavenging is only appeared in the last two million years, and became common maybe 500K to 1 million years ago, yet say we haven't had time to adapt to eating grains, even though evidence of sedges are found in ancestoral bone fragments dating to 4 million years ago.

I'm quite aware that a large portion of the population can eat grains and I'm not suggesting food groups are 'evil' or intolerable due to evolutionary reasons.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    In for an honest discussion about pseudoscience

Well that's your opinion out the way I guess
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Never mind the debatable point of whether or not paleo truly represents what all, or most, of our distant ancestors ate. A diet that consists mostly of vegetables, fruit, high quality meat and nuts is not overly restrictive and can be extremely healthy, without the kind of planning, and supplement use, that you'd need for going vegan, for example. If you eat organ meats and marrow, the diet would be even better.

What minerals are in grains that you can't get in the foods on your paleo plan?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys, it's quite complicated actually.

Im doing it for a number of reasons If I'm being honest;

1.Optimal physical health, clean eating.
    2.To have better skin
    3.To feel less tired associated with insulin spikes or food group intolerance.
    4.To aid with left over symptoms of adhd as a child, inattentiveness and sleep problems.
    5.To curb appetite

May all sound a bit too much, but I want to go wirh a diet which advocates better eating and doesn't cut out meat (I can't live without meat)

It's not that I'm anti grain, I'm just trying to determine whether it agrees with me or not.

Do you think cutting out pasta or the occasional apple pie will give you all of that?
    You could just eat a better overall diet. High in greens and fresh produce, with meat and dairy as you like.

It's called "eating better" it works well and doesn't require strict elimination, for example, of legumes, coffee or alcohol.

Not a coffee drinker anymore but tea is always nice (I'm British) don't really eat legumes and alcohol turns me into an *kitten*. So I guess it's not that bad after all?

Paleo British Tea?

Dont knock it till you try it it's good stuff!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I hated it and I was miserable.

Miserable as a result of being too restrictive, could you be a bit more specific?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I tried it. It was a pain to be restrictive with no real results to justify the extra work or meal planning. By all means go ahead and try it for yourself. If you like it go with it it, if not try something new. I just look to hit my macros now. No special restrictions.

Thanks, I agree it's more of an experiment I plan to introduce foods back in, if I feel any positive impact of the diet. I'm not looking at it as a long term commitment.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough, but I plan to start as basic as possible and build up.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Never mind the debatable point of whether or not paleo truly represents what all, or most, of our distant ancestors ate. A diet that consists mostly of vegetables, fruit, high quality meat and nuts is not overly restrictive and can be extremely healthy, without the kind of planning, and supplement use, that you'd need for going vegan, for example. If you eat organ meats and marrow, the diet would be even better.

What minerals are in grains that you can't get in the foods on your paleo plan?

It was more to do with milk (the mineral concern). But calcium can be acquired from other sources.

Maybe paleo is the wrong word, I just think the diet mimics what I'm trying to achieve.
  • PricillaKorea
    PricillaKorea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am the polar opposite. I mostly follow a vegan lifestyle. I never binge or crave anything. I eat so much grain and pastas and rice and I still lose weight. From what I understand the pales diet restricts these things. I love my high carb low fat diet! My acne has cleared up and I have more muscle toning. I understand that this transition is difficult for many people, but meat already freaked me out, I get nauseous when I smell eggs and I am lactose intolerant. The hclf vegan lifestyle was made for me!
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I am the polar opposite. I mostly follow a vegan lifestyle. I never binge or crave anything. I eat so much grain and pastas and rice and I still lose weight. From what I understand the pales diet restricts these things. I love my high carb low fat diet! My acne has cleared up and I have more muscle toning. I understand that this transition is difficult for many people, but meat already freaked me out, I get nauseous when I smell eggs and I am lactose intolerant. The hclf vegan lifestyle was made for me!

I completely respect your view but you're talking to a man that couldn't even go vegetarian let alone vegan. I guess we both have the common denominator which is fruit and veg, both known to be good for us!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have been doing different degrees of Paleo eating for about 6 years. I have gone Whole 30 strict before and I have done 80/20 and here is my take:

Positive Aspects:
    -I started eating way more fruits and vegetables
    -I eat better quality meats
    -I became a better cook
    - I tried vegetables that I had never tried before
    - I lost 2 dress sizes

Negative Aspects
    - It is really hard to be that restrictive all the time
    - Social eating becomes really hard (things like resturaunts, family gatherings, and potlucks)

You can get all your vitamins and minerals eating Paleo. In some cases, you may need to entertain eating some things you have probably never eaten before (like organ meats, canned fish with the bones, and black strap molasses).

Right now I am not really eating Paleo. I eat oatmeal, quinoa, and rice pretty regularly. I was eating dairy from cows milk before my son's doctor asked me to cut dairy out of my diet. I eat bread a couple times per week.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I don't like diets that restrict for basically no reason. This is one of those diets.

I understand, it's more of an experiment if I'm being honest.

You might look into Whole30.com and try that for 30 days and see how you do, if you are interested in the experiment. Once you get past the 30 days, you can introduce some foods back into your diet (like some dairy). If you like it and feel better at the end of the 30 days, Paleo might be something that you respond to. If you feel like tearing your hair out and punching people in the throat by the end of the 30 days, it may not so much be for you. Another good resource for the science behind Paleo (and the reason behind eliminating certain foods) is paleoleap.com

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't follow paleo because I still include cheese, heavy whipping cream and butter in my diet. I do understand cutting out dairy to see if it is a problem. I did it for a year or so and found I was able to tolerate dairy with almost no lactose.

Otherwise I eat a paleo style diet with a focus on low carbs. Mainly meat with some nuts, veggies amd fruit like avocado thrown in. I never eat grains or added sugars, and I feel great eating that way.

Give it a try. My guess is that you could give it three months and that would give you a good idea if it is going to help. It won't hurt to try.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did it and liked it well enough and didn't find it difficult (but I like to cook and don't like rice that much and am indifferent to most bread and other grains -- I like oatmeal but didn't actively miss it). I ultimately would have missed pasta and pizza and naan and injera, but at the time I did it I was doing a low cal diet and didn't think I could have those anyway (I was wrong).

On the other hand, I stopped doing it because I missed dairy, was annoyed by the inconvenience (when you can't even grab a quick and healthy lentil soup or some Cuban black beans!), and did not feel any different. (I'd not felt bad before, but was curious if giving up grains, etc., would have some magic effect like some claimed. No, it did not.) And the main reason I gave it up is because I thought I could eat in a healthier way without doing it -- most of the things I like (like the sourcing of meat, lots of vegetables, non carb-heavy breakfast) were things I would do anyway, and some of the things I was cutting out were things I thought I'd be better off eating more of (like legumes). I also think I was eating too much meat for my comfort, but that was a crutch while losing weight so I continued to eat more than I'm totally comfortable with until very recently.

I also think the rationale usually given for the diet (how our ancestors ate) was silly, but that's not really what turned me off, as I knew that going in.

Oh, and yeah I lost weight, but I was on a calorie deficit and continued losing as fast when I went off it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Sounds like you have poor nutritional information and some food aversions.
    Eating vegan does not "tone".

And fat is useful for life - please don't remove it too much. Your skin, hair, brain and hormonal balance depend on a minimal fat level.
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I began my paleo lifestyle change after doing a whole 30. I truly had issues with food and this was a good way for me to begin. After a whole 30 you can add in any restricted food and see how your body, mood, etc respond after incorporating it again. I have chosen to stay paleo. For me, I feel so much better. I eat a lot more veggies, and my body is no longer bloated, I can sleep now (no insomnia) and I've broken any sugar addiction. It's not really a diet verses a lifestyle change. I love the freedom of not counting calories. My body has learned when it's full and I listen and respond to it better. I have counted calories while being paleo and am about right on track to where I should be, and I'm eating REAL food. I don't miss pizza, cakes, etc... I still eat white rice on occasion, like sushi. I highly recommend reading It Starts With Food to really see how our bodies respond scientifically to foods, etc.

• caeliumspecto
    caeliumspecto Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cool, any paleo dieters out there with any success on the diet?

Yes. For me, eating at CICO was awful because I'm hypoglycemic. So low-carb, high-fat paleo worked much better for me. I wasn't restricting for "no reason" as others have said. I even saw a lot of plus ups others have neglected. I gain muscle much faster than I did before, and so my body composition has improved even beyond weight loss.

Because I eat more nutrient dense foods, my hair and nails are also stronger than on a diet with grains.

But seriously, everyone's bodies are different. Do what works for you, and ditch what doesn't. Do your experiment.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I hated it and I was miserable.

Miserable as a result of being too restrictive, could you be a bit more specific?

I missed everything that was good to eat. I do love meat and vegetables, but I massively missed bread and beer or anything with grains.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about the paleo diet recently, for a number of reasons, I wish to eliminate certain food types from my diet.

From what I've read, paleo diet restricts grains and only meat can be consumed if it's fed it's natural diet.

The diet advocates lots of fruit and vegetables, limited dairy (preferable none but that's not going to happen), nuts etc...

Some concerns are raised about lacking particular minerals, and that it's a restrictive diet.

I'd be happy to hear any comments on the diet, as I plan to begin shortly.

To get back to the topic....
    Things I like about Paleo:
    Lots of veggies and protein, which are very filling, very nutritious, and should probably be the source of most of the calories everyone eats in a day.

Restricting trans fats and fruit juices. Trans fats are really bad for you. Juicing takes the fiber out of the fruit. Fiber is important in slowing digestion and preventing insulin spikes, and also is very filling and helps prevent hunger pangs. I'll have a little juice now and then, but it's much better to eat whole fruit.

Things I don't like about Paleo:
    High fat. Fat is not filling. I can eat 1000 calories worth of Diamond Smokehouse almonds almost by accident. Fat should be low to moderate. Some is required to keep you healthy, and 20% of calories is about as low as you should go, but if you're trying to lose weight it's best to keep it at 20-25% of calories and eat more of other foods that are more filling. Saturated fats are good in moderation, but some Paleo dieters eat way too much. Also, Olive oil is fine for cooking, contrary to Paleo Doctrine.

Not counting calories. You have no idea whether you're moving toward or away from your weight goals on a meal to meal basis, if you're not at least counting calories. Ideally you're counting carbs, fat, protein, and maybe fiber, to make sure you're at least hitting your minimum targets for each. MFP makes that easy. Thanks, MFP!!!

Restricting fruits, dairy, legumes and pickles for no reason at all. Nonfat dairy is a fantastic source of protein. Fruits, legumes, and pickles are loaded with healthy carbs and fiber. Plus fruits are great portable snacks and fantastic pre-workout fuel.

Lots of pseudoscience about poly fats, historical diets, and the "evils" of carb-heavy diets. Many ancient peoples (not all) ate lots of carbs. They pretty much ate whatever they could find in their environment. Carbs fuel exercise. Low carb is ok for losing weight if you're not very active, but in my humble opinion, low-carb exercise sucks balls and most people perform far, far better in the gym with a good amount of carbs in their system. The Paleo guidelines say "Don't over-exercise." That's crap. Exercise as much as you want, and eat enough carbs to fuel your exercise properly.

Last, and possibly most important, if you're tracking your macros, you can generally eat any food that you want, at least in small quantities.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't follow paleo because I still include cheese, heavy whipping cream and butter in my diet. I do understand cutting out dairy to see if it is a problem. I did it for a year or so and found I was able to tolerate dairy with almost no lactose.

Otherwise I eat a paleo style diet with a focus on low carbs. Mainly meat with some nuts, veggies amd fruit like avocado thrown in. I never eat grains or added sugars, and I feel great eating that way.

Give it a try. My guess is that you could give it three months and that would give you a good idea if it is going to help. It won't hurt to try.

Nvmomketo and I eat the same way. I never followed a "diet" but limiting all the over-processed pseudofood and excess calories has had great benefits over the past several years. Go for it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys, it's quite complicated actually.

Im doing it for a number of reasons If I'm being honest;

1.Optimal physical health, clean eating.
    2.To have better skin
    3.To feel less tired associated with insulin spikes or food group intolerance.
    4.To aid with left over symptoms of adhd as a child, inattentiveness and sleep problems.
    5.To curb appetite

May all sound a bit too much, but I want to go wirh a diet which advocates better eating and doesn't cut out meat (I can't live without meat)

It's not that I'm anti grain, I'm just trying to determine whether it agrees with me or not.

1. Optimal physical health is achieved by a good nutrient balance, physical activity, and managing any medical issues you have. You can have a bad nutrient balance on Paleo as well as on on any other diet. Paleo may help you get there, but you would need to be smart about the foods you eat. The exact same thing can be achieved with any other diet if you are smart about the foods you eat, so Paleo has no advantage there.

2. Skin is more about genetics, hormones, and again, nutrient balance. None of which is specific to Paleo.

3. Are you self-diagnosing? What if your tiredness is caused by an underlying issue? Have you tested your blood sugar after an insulin spike to know for sure that you are hypoglycemic? The only medical issues I know which have an insulin-fatigue relationship are diabetes and chronic fatigue syndrome, both of which need medical attention beyond going on a random diet. There might be other issues I'm not aware of, but I believe medical attention is the first stop for any medical issue.

There is no such thing as "food group intolerances" unless you have severe lactose intolerance, in which case you are intolerant to the whole "dairy" food group. People are intolerant to certain substances in certain foods, not to food groups. Dairy is a special case simply because that substance is present in all dairy products in different concentrations. This is simply not the case for most other food groups. A gluten intolerant person, for example, may need to eliminate wheat, barley..etc, but other grains would still be okay. Again, don't self-diagnose. If you suspect a food allergy or intolerance, you need to get that checked and confirmed.

4. There is no evidence Paleo aids with any of these issues.

5. You may or may not curb your appetite. Or you may find yourself eating less at first because of the novelty of a new diet, but then calorie creep sets in. Many people are more than capable of overeating Paleo foods. Watching your calorie intake is the key to not overeat, and experimentation is the key to finding what foods fill you up better. What if one of these foods turns out to be something Paleo does not allow? Why would you want to arbitrarily limit it in that case?

With that said, it wouldn't hurt to try. Placebo is a powerful thing, and if you end up joining the Paleo cult, the effect is even stronger. You may actually solve all your perceived health issues in addition to finding the answer to life, the universe and everything.

comic-extra-strength-placebos-l.jpg

Joking aside. You may end up enjoying the diet and thriving on it (although I'm not sure I could say the same for you wallet). So why not try it and see for yourself.