Sick of so much guilt and shame surrounding food

Options
I struggle a lot with moderation. I feel like I swing from being really strict and committed to just binging and physically eating as much as I can. I feel like there is no inbetween. Whenever I go over goal or binge I just feel so guilty and ashamed and disgusted with myself.

I feel like I'm always either obsessing about getting down to my goal weight or obsessing about how gross I feel after overeating.

I figure that guilt and shame etc. surrounding food must be pretty common. Just wondering how you guys avoid it/ deal with it?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Once you learn to love your body the way it is and for all is can do the rest gets easier. You may want to consider seeking a counselor to discuss these issues with and help find ways to redirect that thought pattern.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot older than you and I've been dealing with an ED for a really long time, not to mention a nasty case of BDD. I've only just begun to make peace with it. I tried every diet known to (wo)man and nothing worked because every diet from Atkins to Fuhrman to paleo puts a moral value on each food and they are all all-or-nothing. So, if I couldn't eat meat (Fuhrman) that's what I would crave even though I don't eat much meat. If I couldn't eat carbs (Atkins) all I wanted was doughnuts. And I never knew what the he!! to eat with the paleo and "clean eating" diet.

When I began on MFP, I was trying to stick to the Furhman diet. I read posts from people who've lost 100+ lbs eating ice cream, burgers, fried chicken and Oreo cookies, sometimes daily. That's when I decided to eat what I wanted in the amounts I could work into my plan. Once the judgement of "bad" food or "good" food was gone I noticed that I began to regulate myself without trying, eating a variety of foods. And if I want extra, I can have it, I just have to earn it by working out a little longer/harder!

Believe me, OP, there are people on this site that went through situations so similar you'd swear they were telling your story!
  • LeahMiles1
    LeahMiles1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I did some research and found a book that has helped me soo much.

Hope, Help, and healing for eating disorders
    By Gregory L. Jantz

When I refer this book to people everyone's first response is "I don't have an eating disorder" and that's okay, this book is also for something called "disordered eating" and that includes binge eating and emotional eating.

I highly recommend this book. It has really opened my eyes and has given me more will power to control my eating habits
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think tons of ppl go through it. Young, old, all different ppl, mostly women that I know of.
    When you eat a lot... Forgiveness is key. Don't feel guilty because everyone is human and makes mistakes, tomorrow is always a new day and you can always start again.
    MFP I think is a good tool for tracking food and then you can see what works or what doesn't and then switch up what you need to.
    MFP helps me to plan what I'm going to eat so I'm not starving but I also feel like I'm eating enough and satisfied and I can be aware of the calories I'm eating.
    It's a process... But I totally get it.
    Frustrating sometimes!
  • caileag26
    caileag26 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have issues with binges also. I've been working a lot on my emotional issues and the binges are less frequent, but old habits.... I learned to binge within my goals. Not the best solution, but it takes a long time to sort out all the psychological baggage we carry around. Basically, I make sure I always have fresh veggies around so when I can't shake the urge, I make a HUGE salad with some tuna or boiled eggs, or I crunch on carrots, or make a big bowl of popcorn with Cajun spice or cinnamon and Splenda on it. The biggest change for me was learning that what I eat and how much I weigh does not define who I am. It is ok to eat and enjoy food. It is ok to splurge occasionally. You're studying psychology? Pick up a self-esteem workbook and some affirmations. You can get them free online. Mirror exercises are very difficult at first but I have found them to be profoundly helpful. I used these tools for years with patients in women's trauma and for adolescents but never actually did them myself until a few months ago. Everything isn't perfect. I'm still learning, but I feel like I have changed so much for the better. Counseling is not a bad idea at all. Universities usually have counseling services for students. I believe the best way to successfully treat a problem is to find and address the root cause. You are young, brilliant, and beautiful! You can do this.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    LeahMiles1 wrote: »
    I have the same problem so I did some research and found a book that has helped me soo much.

By Gregory L. Jantz

When I refer this book to people everyone's first response is "I don't have an eating disorder" and that's okay, this book is also for something called "disordered eating" and that includes binge eating and emotional eating.

I highly recommend this book. It has really opened my eyes and has given me more will power to control my eating habits

I would also recommend Kathryn Hansen’s book, "Brain over Binge" (2011). It is excellent and provides a lot of food for thoughts (bad pun intended). It helped me A LOT.
  • LeahMiles1
    LeahMiles1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LeahMiles1 wrote: »

By Gregory L. Jantz

I would also recommend Kathryn Hansen’s book, "Brain over Binge" (2011). It is excellent and provides a lot of food for thoughts (bad pun intended). It helped me A LOT.

Thank you, I will definitely read it!