Need advice on diet and exercise

Options
I've been on Myfitnesspal for about six months now and have lost around 16 lbs. very slowly. I feel like I'm at a plateau and want to boost or kickstart my whole routine. I know I haven't eaten the best that I could however, I am most always under my calorie goal. I work out at least 4 times a week, oing the same videos. I'm thinking I need to do something different with the diet and increase the exercise. Just not sure.....

Replies

• bmoore4u
    bmoore4u Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Andrea! I am a beach body coach. I'm sure you've heard of P90X, turbo jam etc. I would love to help you achieve your goals!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Why not try eating the "best you can" and see if that helps? All the fast food & prepackaged stuff contain lots of sodium and have little nutritional value. Give your body some good, clean fuel and make it work for you! Also, always coming under your calorie goal isn't a good thing. Eat the calories that MFP recommends and some/most of your exercise calories. And yes, changing up your workouts will also help!
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    Jillians shred, banish fat, and her new one ripped in 30! Also billy blanks tae bo & Zumba! I have noticed that doing a lot of different workouts and not the same ones over and over definitely helps because your working all different areas! Also, maybe watching the carb intake a bit more. I try to stay under 150, of course that doesn't always happen but I don't lose weight if I don't keep an eye on that for sure.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jamie... try to eat whole, unprocessed foods, and limit your sugar intake. And of course, switching up the workout routine helps! But I think it's best to focus on your diet to start :)
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing the same exercises then you definitely need to change them up. Your body gets used to the exercises and that's what causes you to plateau.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    80% of this battle is in the diet. You can workout EVERyday but if your diet is not so great...then your results will not be so great either. Even staying low in calories does not give you the best results. It's like taking a test...you can do so-so with your diet and get a score of 70%. tIt's a passing grade. However, if you get your diet right, then you can score a higher score...90-100%. It's all up to YOU and what YOU want to get out of it. You get out of it what you put into it. Good luck on your journey.
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you're not already, you should do weight training.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight steadily from Feb-April. Then in May I lost absolutely NO weight. In June I totally switched up my exercise routine and the weight started falling off of me again. You might want to try switching up your exercise routine. Try something that you haven't ever tried or did in a long time. Also be more strict with your diet, and try to eat back at least half of your burned calories. Good luck! :)
  • christinalayton
    Options
    You need to mix it up a little. Maybe do some outdoor activities. I lost a stone last year (have put it back on because I had to stop exercising for health reasons, doh!) but I found after 4 months I had lost half a stone and then my weight stopped dropping off. No matter how much i exercised, the last half stone wouldnt budge so I took up horse riding on the weekends for a bit of fun! Which surprising burns quite a bit more calories then you might think! Also I was originally just going to the gym (on the bike, cross trainer and weights), I took up pilates and swimming alternating between gym and the new activities and I found another half stone completely drop off in no time at all! It pays to mix it up a little to keep your body guessing!

Anyway, keep persevering, no one said it would be any easy journey but I can tell you what it is well worth it in the end

Keep on smiling!:happy:
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP 3 months and have lost slowly as well, I have also lost inches. So you are not alone in this. :)

I do different exercises everyday just to change things up and I have just started doing Billy Blanks Tae Bo and love it,
    3 Months ago I could only do 5 mins and now I can do the entire workout :)

I do things like Leslie Sansone, Jillian Michaels, Tae Bo, I try to also go to the gym 2x a week but that hasn'e happened lately.
    Just try to change up your routine
  • Horuke
    Horuke Posts: 11
    Options
    For an exercise routine try high intensity interval training (HIIT) after reading some exercise science studies on it seems like a fantastic routine.

Basically it's a cardio plan where you alternate between light and extreme exercise, what I do is; light jog 2 min run all out 1 min and repeat for 15-20 min. From reading the papers on it, that 20 min provides the same benefit as 1 hr of steady state cardio, increases BMR for around 24hrs and helps well trained athletes out of their plateaus. It’s done pretty well for me too.

Weight lifting can also be done in a similar fashion if you do that too.

As for diet, vitamin supplements help, other studies have shown people who take vitamins lose more weight. Again for me I find cutting out carbs and increasing protein, fiber and fat keeps me on track and not starving all the time. Though I read an interesting study saying that carbs are not necessary for adults since our glucose needs can be covered by dietary ketosis, though I haven’t cut them out completely (I love French fries to much). Quality of food does matter too, again more studies, (What can I say; I’m an exercise science geek)

Also, all these studies can be found free on the web if you’re curious, or if you think I’m BSing.
  • jrami24
    jrami24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you need to do weights, period.
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definitely going to change it up. Diet and exercise!!
  • Taznmb1
    Taznmb1 Posts: 15
    Options
    3.5 months 58 lbs and the only thing I have done is focus on eating whole foods half the plate veggies. Breakfast should be your largest meal of the day. By large I do not mean 300 calories it needs to be 400+ in the 500. this will kickstart your body and help to not be hungry at each snack and meal. I said snack yes you should eat every 2 to 3 hours. This is to keep the body working at its peak. Very your exercise. Try something new. Fight fit classes, spinning, any martial art, zumba, etc you might find something you never thought you would like.