Fitbits.. is it worth the hype?

Options
My friend got a fitbit recently and it turns out the MFP calorie recommendation was causing her to severely undereat as fitbit was reflecting much higher calorie usage ..

What are people's thoughts on fitbit? After syncing to MFP have you been 'allowed' to eat more with the same calorie deficit? Are you still seeing results?

I'm considering buying one but they are reasonably pricey

Replies

• Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bought an expensive Fitbit (200$+) and I was super dissapointed in the product.

It was wildly inaccurate and over estimated steps so easily. I even returned it for another model hoping it was defective but they all seem to be that way. I took the bus for 10 minutes and the fit bit counted it like I was running.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It stops me from sitting down to much. I don't eat back the calories unless I have been to the gym. I also like using it as a watch. I do like the heart rate bit too.
  • Hjaye7512
    Hjaye7512 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just returned my charge I had it during WW for about 3 months and the steps weren't super accurate, but the challenges can keep you motivated to get your steps in daily so if you need moving motivation it's great
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I bought an expensive Fitbit (200$+) and I was super dissapointed in the product.

It was wildly inaccurate and over estimated steps so easily. I even returned it for another model hoping it was defective but they all seem to be that way. I took the bus for 10 minutes and the fit bit counted it like I was running.

You can log the bus ride (or any bumpy ride that makes it count steps) on fitbit website and it will subtract the calories out for it. You have to do it like exercise and log the start and end time.

I have the Charge without the HR and I was surprised because I actually think it under counts my steps by a lot. Forces me to be even more active.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip and since it's getting super old and the clip is deteriorating I'm getting a One soon. I've found it very accurate and prefer to look at the calorie burn on Fitbit rather than MFP. Even with them linked MFP gives me an extra 200 or so to eat. That's an issue with their connections though, or maybe something in my settings, not Fitbit itself.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My fitbit seems pretty accurate. It does get confused when I do the weekly shopping and sometimes picks it up as cycling. I havent had issues in the car though. We did a 3000km trip recently and it was accurate in recording i did very few steps for the 3 days we were driving.

I found that I was more active during the week than I would have guessed but also that weekends could fluctuate greatly. I can do as little as 3000 steps or as high as 20,000 steps on the weekend.

I have a HR monitor one and it also helps me understand my tiredness. My resting hear rate can vary greatly, if I feel really tired for no apparent reason I will usually find that my resting hearrate was under 50 overnight or closer to 60 if I am feeling really good. Actually the HR monitor was what helped me get diagnosed with a thyroid condition.
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this as I've been thinking about buying one. I'm logging my steps on my phone but I don't always have my phone with me so I'm being shortchanged in steps. My polar hrm doesn't have a pedometer built in! I suppose it's prob better to underestimate on my phone rather than over estimate!
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit...I realize it's not entirely accurate (underestimates steps, overestimates calories), but it's definitely super motivating for me...I set my activity on MFP to sedentary and eat back about 50% of the calories fitbit thinks I've earned.

BUT, since re-starting using my fitbit (took a few months off heh whoops) I haven't really lost weight-- just inches. But I prefer the inches.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit, it has definitely motivated me to walk more and be more aware of how much I move.
    I also eat back most of my additional calories, and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight.

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love my zip, I got it when it was on offer and haven't looked back.
    I've upped my steps considerably since I got it. I take part in weekly and daily challenges to keep motivated and as a bonus I get extra cals to eat on mfp depending on how active I am.
    I've lost weight and inches consistently combined with the calorie defict and has definitely become part of my life
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit surge. Not completely thrilled with it, but it gives me a good idea of how active I am during the day. Today, for instance, I used it to record a walk. The gps gave me the distance and the heart monitor gave me how hard I was working. It also recorded how long I was walking. I used MapMyFitness to calculate the calories. MapMyFitness is linked to MFP, so it transfer the info over.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Buying a fitbit was the best investment I've made since trying to lose weight. It obviously doesn't do the work for you, but it is a great motivator. I have it synced with MFP, so it adds my exercise calories for me. Set and forget :smiley:
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit flex but would like a charge HR. I have it synced with MFP and it works great. I did readjust my step stride from what it estimated it to be as my steps are shorter than it said. It means when calculating distance I have to do more steps than someone with a longer stride.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You can buy one if you want. To me it will always be a glorified pedometer and I am not willing shell out $100+ for one. You can get the same result by eating within a moderate deficit and exercising.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got the One and it was relatively inaccurate (seemed to underestimate my calories by quite a bit) and gave numbers that made no sense whatsoever (like some days I'd burn more calories with less steps and less active minutes... WTH?). I stopped using it after a few months (it was Summer and I just didn't have anywhere to clip the thing on). Haven't really missed it...

I think it's useful to give you an estimate of how active you are, but ideally, I'd borrow one for a day to figure that out... lol.

But in the end... track your food properly, see how much you lose (or don't lose) for a few months, then adjust... that will be more accurate in the end.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I like my activity tracker (not a fitbit hate those things and yes i have one)

Keeps me motivated to move more if nothing else.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I like my Fibit because it keeps me motivated. I don't think they're overhyped, they're not much different than other activity trackers. It's a tool and what you do with it matters.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR and I love it. Historically, it's always been very accurate with my steps, but recently I noticed that it was only counting about every 6/7 steps per 10 that I take. When you do the math and realize that that could be over 3,000 steps some days, it's a problem. I actually contacted FitBit and they are sending me a new one for free.

I like the accountability of it. And I love doing the challenges with my friends. I don't sync the steps with MFP, but I sync MFP with my FB for the food entries. I generally stick with my calorie allowance from MFP but will occasionally peek at my FB if I've had a very active day and want to eat a bit more.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and love it. I find it well worth the money. The longer you wear it the more accurate it becomes. You need to measure your stride and input that in the tracker's settings to get an accurate step count. Additionally, it keeps me motivated to keep moving. I used to be fairly sedentary averaging 5,000 to 7,000 steps per day. I'm now up to 20,000 steps per day. I used to have sleep issues so I track my sleep with it and have found it to be fairly accurate. No tracker is going to be 100% accurate, they are all guesstimates at best, but I've found that even with a margin for error it's great at keeping me focused, self-aware, and counting calories in/out.

The only downside to many of the trackers is keeping them charged and several times the data transfer gets screwed up because of issues mainly with MFP since MFP has become so glitchy. This happens especially around the first of the year with so many new trackers getting synced to MFP; MFP can't handle the load and when MFP updates. Thankfully, that's usually a temporary problem.
  • watcher1600
    watcher1600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit chargehr and it is inaccurate on a windy day it said i climed 57 steps when i only walked 20 min on a flat surface, it overestimates calories burned and overestimates steps by 5000.

Checkout the fitbit forumsthere are posts about the inaccuracies of this tracker.