Weighing food this morning

Options
Just passing this on when weighing meat weigh raw for accurate nutrient values. Rule of thumb you lose 25% of the weight when cooked. This can mess up macros.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Or use a 'cooked' entry.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So are you saying weigh it raw or cooked? Not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I weigh raw.
  • assetrecoverygroupllc1
    Options
    Weigh raw for accurate macros!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you're really in a pinch, cooked entries with weights are better than generic volume entries ("1 cup of broccoli" vs "150g broccoli, cooked boiled drained, without salt", "1 chicken breast" vs "100g chicken, breast meat only, cooked, broiled, skin removed", etc). Weighing everything raw is best, but it's not possible 100% of the time.

What I like to do is have a cook factor in place for foods that I often batch cook and portion out throughout the week. If I make cauliflower rice, I might have 2,000g of raw cauliflower, but after cooking it I only get 1,500g of cauliflower rice; I then create a recipe on MFP (like "Mimikins cauliflower rice -100g cooked"), input the ingredients (in this case, the 2,000g of raw cauliflower), and have the serving size be based off the weight of the dish (in this case, 15 servings). That way, I only have to weigh out the raw portion once and should have a relatively accurate cooked entry to use for that specific food based off how I prepare it.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Good information.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Weigh raw for accurate macros!

I can't I don't cook just for myself.

If you log it the way you cooked it ie baked chicken breast skinless/boneless you can get correct macros.