Fitbits.. is it worth the hype?

Options

Replies

• RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love gadgets and data so my flex really motivates me to move more. I sometimes compare the fitbit data to other sites/pedometers and mine seems to be fairly accurate.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I find my flex to be accurate, its fun seeing the data.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Charge HR since July; it brought me from 139 to 109 pounds.
    • No device is 100% accurate; this is statistically improbable. However, those stating that their Fitbit was "wildly" off, I question the validity of their statements. The reason is due to the fact that some people get crazy HR readings or step counts because they are not wearing the device properly. If you're wearing it too loose, too tight, or in the wrong spot, your margin of error will be higher.
    • Based on comments I've read both on MFP and Fitbit, it seems like Fitbit overestimates TDEE for obese people and underestimates TDEE for fit people. I take this with a grain of salt because this boils down to how accurate people are about their food intake. I'm sort of experiencing this right now, as I am currently bulking and I eat 250 calories more than Fitbit says I can, but I'm not gaining half a pound per week as I've hoped. I've been maintaining for the most part. However, when I eat out, I tend to overestimate the calories in my food.
    • It helped immensely when I was losing weight because it let me really absorb the fact that I could eat more food. It was hard for me to get that I'm not sedentary, as I was originally in the mindset that I was overweight and lazy. I was one of those 1200 calorie people before I saw the light. I earn 700 to 1000 extra calories per day on average.
    • It's definitely not a "fad". Pedometers have been around for a very long time. As technology advances, so will methods of step counting. Is a Fitbit necessary? No. Do I love mine? Certainly. I love numbers, data, and analyzing information, so I have a blast with my Fitbit. Does it have to be a Fitbit? No. I would love to try a Garmin device, honestly. Was it worth the money? For me it was. I have the disposable income and I decided to use part of it for my Charge HR.

What you get out of your Fitbit depends on who you are, what your interests are, and how honest you are about your food intake and activities. You'll either love it, hate it, or have mixed feelings about it. They definitely are not the holy grail of weight loss, health, or fitness, but I'm glad I bought one and I wouldn't change my decision for anything.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have the One and I love it. I turned off the calorie estimate on the app because I think it's nonsense (it still syncs with MFP and I usually figure I can eat about half the calories back and that's working just fine for me). I don't think the idea with the fitbit is to trust the accuracy of the steps or calories a whole lot - they're estimates only. I find mine to be pretty accurate, step-wise, although there have been a few odd experiences. My husband has the Surge, with all the bells and whistles, but just generally speaking, I think the step count on his is much less accurate than mine - just a guess, but I think the wrist-worn trackers are more prone to "extra" steps.

But as a general picture of your activity level and a motivator to do a little more? It's really helpful, at least for me. There's days I *think* I was pretty active and I look down and I'm still 3,000 steps away from my goal. It's a good reminder to take the dogs out for a walk or something. And the social, "challenge" aspect is huge, for some people. My husband and I and most of our best friends all have fitbits, and we set up daily or weekly challenges pretty regularly. You'd better believe I'm moving a whole lot more than I was before I bought this thing.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if it IS a "fad"? It's a pretty good one, as fads go. In the last few years, I see a HUGE increase in the people just out walking - walking around downtown on their lunch breaks, walking their dogs in the evening, walking with their spouses. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator. I do think that this "step tracker" movement is a having a positive impact.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Oh, and if it IS a "fad"? It's a pretty good one, as fads go. In the last few years, I see a HUGE increase in the people just out walking - walking around downtown on their lunch breaks, walking their dogs in the evening, walking with their spouses. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator. I do think that this "step tracker" movement is a having a positive impact.

I agree and I think it is opening eyes too at how much people "sit".

My sister got one and was surprised at the difference in her apple watch calorie burn to the machines she uses...I told her a year ago her machines weren't accurate...now she believes me.

A friend got a tracker on Valentines day and was totally surprise she barely got 2k steps in a day...she now watches and makes herself get purposeful steps.

I personally like mine for the sleep tracking, silent alarm (buzz on my wrist to wake me when I am in light sleep in the morning to wake me "around" my wake time) the buzz on my wrist to remind me to move etc.

I love it syncs with MFP and mapmyfitness as well.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Buying a fitbit was the best investment I've made since trying to lose weight. It obviously doesn't do the work for you, but it is a great motivator. I have it synced with MFP, so it adds my exercise calories for me. Set and forget :smiley:

I agree, as long as you think of it as a tool that needs to be interpreted then you'd probably benefit. Mine seems quite accurate, it says I burn about 2800 calories a day just living my life, and that helps me feel confident in eating 1800-1900 calories a day because I know there's still a deficit and I don't feel deprived. If I had to use online TDEE estimates I'd be under eating and making myself miserable which is why I quit and gained back weight in the first place. The step count is accurate, I adjusted my stride length to my actual measured stride and have had no trouble since.

I do sometimes worry that maybe I don't burn as much as it says, but when I truly am consistent with both my steps AND logging appropriate portion sizes I see results. I havent seen what I want to see yet because I've still been over eating. But I'm confident I will make progress now that I'm dedicated and have made a commitment to my doctor.

Plus I'm having a big wedding next year, and while I don't subscribe to the 'sweating for the wedding' concept, I do want to at least re-lose what I have gained back by then. Totally reasonable 60lbs in 12mos. So it's time now to stop just having a plan and actually put it in place. Fitbit is absolutely helpful to me!
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    I have the charge HR and I can say that the heart rate monitor part is pretty useless for when you're actually exercising, it was reporting 135bpm this morning on the elliptical and then when I used the grip-HR monitor thing on the elliptical it posted me at 160bpm. As a step tracker it's cool though, and I like that it measures floors climbed, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I know I definitely haven't gone up 31 floors today, more like 6 so far. Other days it has been spot on.

Arent the HRM and calories burned functions on exercise equipment useless though?

That's the impression I get, too. I've been using a Fitbit for a little over a year, and it's great! Had a Charge for 8 months, then upgraded to a Charge HR, and now giving serious consideration to a Blaze. Such a great piece of motivational equipment! It gives a fantastic "dashboard" to your activity level throughout the day, and integrates seamlessly (for the most part) with MFP. Best piece of exercise equipment I've ever bought, next to my treadmill.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is a fad for some people, and does not do much for them.

However, I have had a fit bit for 3 years now. First a One, then the Force, Now the Charge HR. I will not be without one ever again. I was morbidly obese when I began on MFP 3/12/12. Now, because of MFP and my fit bit I am a normal weight and I get over 20,000 steps every, single, day. When I first got my fit bit, it was a struggle to get 10,000/day. No one will ever convince me that the motivation I have to move more is not enhanced by having a fit bit. I love it. I am 64 years old. Truly, I am in the best shape that I have been in in decades. For someone like me, who thought it was too late, it never is too late to become a healthier person.

Whatever works for each of us, (like Nike says), Just Do It. You will never be sorry you did.
  • jzancola
    jzancola Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you want out of it. If it's motivation it will help as long as you buy into it I E. If it tells you to move then move or else it becomes a watch.
    I had a HR Charge it was good to see my heart rate during activity and sleep. But doing things like riding a bike ? Forget it because it is very inaccurate.
    Customer service is great they replaced mine 2 times no questions asked.
    I have since got rid of it and got a Garmin Vivoactive because it suits my activities better and it's a smart watch also.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that my fitbit has been very integral in my losing 43 lbs. When I first got my flex I was only getting about 6k steps a day (I am a teacher and on my feet all day). I would have to walk in place before bed to get my 10k steps. Now, I get over 19k steps a day. It helped me to see how sedentary I was on my days off and gave me the motivation to get up and move.

As far as getting steps when riding in a car, we take 8 hours trips to Philly quite often and my fitbit never registers steps during the car ride. I only get steps riding in a car if I am flailing my arms around!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    I have the charge HR and I can say that the heart rate monitor part is pretty useless for when you're actually exercising, it was reporting 135bpm this morning on the elliptical and then when I used the grip-HR monitor thing on the elliptical it posted me at 160bpm. As a step tracker it's cool though, and I like that it measures floors climbed, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I know I definitely haven't gone up 31 floors today, more like 6 so far. Other days it has been spot on.

Arent the HRM and calories burned functions on exercise equipment useless though?

I have to wonder if those who get "inaccurate" heart rates are using this comparison as well. If you place your fitbit correctly (not on the narrowest part, up a few finger widths) then it's almost spot on. I was on the elliptical at my apartment this morning and my fitbit Charge HR displayed my heart rate as 155, and my machine was 165, and my actual heart rate as counted by my own hands with a timer was 154. So I tend to believe my monitor.
  • RedDiamond37
    RedDiamond37 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love my charge, it works great and is fairly accurate
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DaphneSW wrote: »
    My friend got a fitbit recently and it turns out the MFP calorie recommendation was causing her to severely undereat as fitbit was reflecting much higher calorie usage ..

What are people's thoughts on fitbit? After syncing to MFP have you been 'allowed' to eat more with the same calorie deficit? Are you still seeing results?

I'm considering buying one but they are reasonably pricey

Likely your friend's issue to begin with was not properly setting her activity level...people do this all the time...they're not honest with their activity level and just default to sedentary which is going to give one a pretty low calorie target. On top of that, they don't understand the whole "eat back" calories thing and why one would do that. In this case, a fitbit might be worth it because it gives people a realistic picture of what they're really burning.

For myself, I find it pretty easy to be honest with any one of these calculators...I know and understand that I burn a lot of calories just being alive and more in my day to day...I'm not "scared" to properly set my activity level accordingly and then watch to see what's going on and make adjustments as necessary. For myself, a fitbit would be a total waste of money and completely unnecessary.

i agree with this and perhaps you're right about assuming a sedentary lifestyle
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I had the garmin version of a fitbit and loved it. It didn't motivate me to move more but I liked the data it gave me about my sleep, steps, calorie burns etc. The best thing about it was I could view messages from my phone on it and start/stop music etc.

If I didn't lost it on a boozy night out, I would probably still be wearing it, but the want for the data isn't greater than the cost of replacing it.

If someone was considering one, I would recommend investing in a cheap pedometer first and see if it motivates them enough.
  • brockb1981
    brockb1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If your getting one make sure it's got the hr moniter if not it's not as accurate. 28th the charge hr it measures hr during workouts witch makes it accurate. Mine doesn't pick up many driving steps at all. The best part is u can set it before workouts and it will track it. WELL WORTH IT EVEN FOR THE MOTOVATION
  • brockb1981
    brockb1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And I've used it and checked with a actual hr machine and it's pretty close
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    brockb1981 wrote: »
    If your getting one make sure it's got the hr moniter if not it's not as accurate. 28th the charge hr it measures hr during workouts witch makes it accurate. Mine doesn't pick up many driving steps at all. The best part is u can set it before workouts and it will track it. WELL WORTH IT EVEN FOR THE MOTOVATION

Ha I'm the opposite. I'll never get HR Monitor fitbit because of Accuracy Issues. They're only good for steady state cardio and no good for things like hiit and weight lifting. Plus the only exercise I do is walking, so it'd be a waste of time for me.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    remember when people said Facebook was a fad?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have a Misfit Shine that was only $50. It might sync with MFP but I haven't done that yet if it does. It's very accurate with steps, sleep, and activity. I really like it. Once in awhile I wish it would sync with MFP but not enough for me to sit down and figure it out. :-) You might look at cheaper options to start out. Like I said, I love my Misfit and I love that I don't have to charge it (it uses a battery that so far has gone months without even coming off of "full").