Working out causing ACNE!!!!!???

Options
Ahh! The dreaded acne!! I've decided to start working out to lose some weight and get in shape and about 2 weeks into my new workout life style, it's causing me bad acne breakouts! It's so embarrassing and makes me feel so self conscious :(. I wash my face with facial gel cleansers (garnier or simple) right after I workout and it still doesn't help with acne prevention. Anyone else out there have the same problem?? Not to mention I'm 19 years old so of course I'm more acne prone this young. Any one know any good remedies or cleanser/acne wash brands to use??

Replies

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use a gentle face wipe to clean my face after a work out. I use a cream cleanser in the morning and oil cleanser in the evening. If I start breaking out I will wash my face only once a day (with the oil cleanser; skipping the morning). I will spot treat with a product containing salicylic acid. I moisturize twice a day.

All of this is because I am more likely to break out when my skin is stripped from over-cleansing. Acne products (other than spot treatment) are just too harsh for my skin and make it worse.

This is what works for me. Every one is different though so you might need to experiment a bit.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Do you wash your face before you work out? Get some Olay wipes or some generic ones to swipe off any dirt or make up before your work out, then wash and use a salicylic wipe (like Clearasil or Oxy or whatever) right after. Don't forget to moisturize!!! When I was younger, I always thought that moisturizer would cause oil build up or breakouts, but dry skin makes you produce more oil which causes the breakouts.

Girl, I'm 30 and I still break out. Not as much as I used to, but still. Just wash before and after, find a good salicylic treatment that doesn't irritate your skin, and moisturize with something that has SPF.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Don't let it embarrass you. We all get pimples. I am 30 and break out all the time. You are probably the only one that notices. It amuses me when I have volcanos all over my cheeks and forehead and people compliment me on my skin.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    Do you wash your face before you work out? Get some Olay wipes or some generic ones to swipe off any dirt or make up before your work out, then wash and use a salicylic wipe (like Clearasil or Oxy or whatever) right after. Don't forget to moisturize!!! When I was younger, I always thought that moisturizer would cause oil build up or breakouts, but dry skin makes you produce more oil which causes the breakouts.

Girl, I'm 30 and I still break out. Not as much as I used to, but still. Just wash before and after, find a good salicylic treatment that doesn't irritate your skin, and moisturize with something that has SPF.

This! If you sweat a lot then wash your face before AND after a workout and whatever you do do NOT touch your face unless you are washing it or applying product. Even if your skin is clean before a workout if you touch it after touching the dirty equipment you're just transferring germs.
  • avj_78
    avj_78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dairy is a major cause of my acne. Before MFP, I was dairy free and had almost no breakouts and glowing skin. Began MFP and adjusted my diet for more protien and low calorie foods such as yogurt and cottage cheese and I've broken out terribly. Now that I've adjusted to eating less calories, I'm going to quit dairy again.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking whey protein powder by any chance??

Clinique has a great "7 day scrub" that u can use everyday but really clears up acne.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wash your face before you work out, if you use gym equipment hit it with alcohol wipes before you touch it, make sure any towel or headband you are using is cleaned regularly, don't touch your face unless you are cleaning it or applying product.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My face actually cleared up when I started working out. It got even better when I gave up soda. Oh, it did get worst for about 2-3 weeks before it cleared up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I find if I don't drink enough water this can happen but eh.

btw I am 43 and still breakout sometimes...can't be helped...atm have 2.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I never broke out until I got into my 30s- probably a hormonal thing. Anyway, I'm a salty sweater which means after any run over 3-4 miles I usually have a thin layer of salt covering my face (it's gritty and gross and sometimes you can see it). I use a prescription treatment for the hormonal part of the acne and it keeps it at bay unless I'm doing lots of long runs then I have to be sure to wash my face asap when I'm done with a workout. The to-go face wipes are easy to bring along and are good in a pinch. I also use a retinol moisturizer and sunscreen (non-comedogenic).
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm generally lucky skin wise as I don't break out often, but have you considered just rinsing with water after a work out? You might be drying your skin out if you wash it with chemicals and soaps too much.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I think it's the oil and sweat from working out that causes your breakouts. if so, then you should wash your face at least two times a day, maybe even three if it's really bad. I wish I could say acne goes away, but it doesn't. I have adult acne and thought I would clear up once I got out of being a teenager.