Bicep Injury

Options
I haven't been able to fully extend my right arm since the end of December and after an xray, ultrasound and physio assessment it was determined that I've manages to tear (but not completely rupture) my bicep tendon. This has caused my bicep muscle to seize up, resulting in the inability to fully extend my arm at the elbow. It's quite uncomfortable, and sometimes results in a lot of pain. Needless to say, I haven't been able to do any exercise for my upper body in 3 months.

I'm wondering if anyone else has suffered from a similar injury? I began physio last week because it took doctors that long to identify the problem, but man am I frustrated :(

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I tore my bicep muscle a couple of years ago, but yours sounds more severe. Did yours tear at the elbow? It hurt SO bad when it happened, but after a cortisone shot or two and some time off from lifting weights, I was good to go. The cool thing is that because it will never be normal, my right bicep has a hump that makes it look really jacked! :D
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Is it the tendon at the elbow or one of them at the shoulder?

I've had surgical repair of the long head of the bicep tendon (at the shoulder)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can get a botox injection to relax the muscle?
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I completely tore the bicep tendon at my elbow. I ended up having surgery on it to repair it. I was in a brace for about 7-8 weeks. it took a good 6 months to feel normal most of the time and about a year to fell normal 100% of the time. However my physical therapists had me doing strength training exercises with it about a month after the surgery. Granted the weight started out at 1-2 lbs. and slowly went up over the course of a year. I found there are a lot of general/family doctors don't know much about a tear in the bicep tendon at the elbow because it is an uncommon injury. The first doctor I went to for mine just said that he wanted to see how things progressed, since other muscles in the arm can start to compensate for it. I insisted he refer me to an Orthopedic doctor. That doctor looked at my MRI and called me immediately to schedule surgery.
    I would definitely recommend seeing an Orthopedic Doctor if you haven't, and if you have I would get a second opinion. Have them do an MRI on it. Tendons don't show up in x-rays. A MRI would show it clearly and then an orthopedic can give you a proper assessment and determine the best course of action.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    rea1980 wrote: »
    I completely tore the bicep tendon at my elbow. I ended up having surgery on it to repair it. I was in a brace for about 7-8 weeks. it took a good 6 months to feel normal most of the time and about a year to fell normal 100% of the time. However my physical therapists had me doing strength training exercises with it about a month after the surgery. Granted the weight started out at 1-2 lbs. and slowly went up over the course of a year. I found there are a lot of general/family doctors don't know much about a tear in the bicep tendon at the elbow because it is an uncommon injury. The first doctor I went to for mine just said that he wanted to see how things progressed, since other muscles in the arm can start to compensate for it. I insisted he refer me to an Orthopedic doctor. That doctor looked at my MRI and called me immediately to schedule surgery.
    I would definitely recommend seeing an Orthopedic Doctor if you haven't, and if you have I would get a second opinion. Have them do an MRI on it. Tendons don't show up in x-rays. A MRI would show it clearly and then an orthopedic can give you a proper assessment and determine the best course of action.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. My family doctor had set up an appointment with me to see an Orthopedic Sugeon but not until AUGUST 31ST!! I was stunned when I received confirmation for the appointment. That's the Canadian healthcare system for you...

I decided enough is enough and went to emerg today. They insisted on taking another xray of my elbow, which was normal. They gave me some painkillers and booked me an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon this coming Tuesday. So thanks again, because your response is what pushed me to get into the hospital and make that appointment happen.