Nine days in - no weight loss!

Options
Any advice? I've been a faithful recorder of everything I've eaten for the past nine days (when I've started) and have been between 1000-1400 calories everyday. As well, I am walking, running and hot yoga-ing. Very frustrating!

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would open up your diary if you want helpful feedback. Usually when this happens to me I haven't been very accurate in my logging. Also you could be over estimating calories burned from exercise. Do you use an activity tracker/HR monitor?
  • daveyshadow
    daveyshadow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you need to lose and have you yo - yo dieted in the past? It may be you are not eating enough if you are exercising and your body has gone in to starvation mode or if you have dieted before your body may just be hanging on to the weight for a couple of weeks to see if you are going to stick with it. Either way stick with it and the results will come also use other measures such as how your clothes feel on and how you are feeling. I am dieting without weighing and the lack of stress from the scales is great. No worries about plateaus as I just concentrate on eating a well balanced low calorie diet and exercise well. I have dropped almost two clothes sizes since Christmas :)
  • FanaticAboutFitness21
    Options
    Are you working out a lot? How much water are you drinking?

I have been working out faithfully for almost 4 weeks now. I have seen absolutely no weight loss, in fact, I've seen gain at this point. However, I'm not worried because I am pretty sure the reason is because:

1. I didn't start counting calories until last week.
    2. I am lifting weights 4 times a week, as well as doing cardio daily and yoga daily.

I'm pretty sure that because I started out with no muscle at all that I won't see losses yet because right now my body is building muscle. I may be losing fat and building muscle at the same time. I'm not a trained professional, so don't take my word for it, but maybe look into it. This happens to me every time I start over and decide to build muscle at the same time as watching my calories. One time I started over and just watched what I ate closely and worked out maybe twice a week, and I saw loses right away, because I really wasn't trying in my workouts and wasn't building a whole bunch of muscle. You can do it that way if you want, but I remember being hungry every minute of it. Up to you.

Every time I decide to get back into working out and eating healthy, I noticed that the times I relied on the scale for my happiness, I gave up within a week because I didn't see losses immediately. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing (make sure you calculated your Base met rate and are consuming the right amount of calories), but I would hide the scale for the first month. Start a fitness challenge or yoga class. Do whats fun for you and count your calories. Do it for you and your well being first and foremost. Then after a month or maybe two, bring the scale back out. Also, if you have a tape measure, that really gives you a better idea of your progress than the scale. The scale doesn't give you the full picture.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? If you have less to lose you will probably lose weight slower than someone who has a lot to lose.

Can you give an example of the foods you are eating? Are you eating high sodium foods? Maybe you need to cut out certain foods and see if there is a change. Are you measuring your foods?

It could be the work outs you are doing. I don't have any loss on the scales when I work out a lot because of the water retention after those days. Also remember that your body is doing a lot of things other than just weight loss.

Hang in there! You got this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nine days and you haven't lost an ounce?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    to the OP - how tall are you and are you actually weighing your food and making sure that the MFP listings you choose are accurate?
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not sure of your stats, or starting weight or how much you have to lose but first off it's only been 9 days. Since your diary isn't open no idea how you are tracking your food. give it 30 days. Log everything! get a food scale. More than likely you are overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories eaten. And keep in mind that exercise isn't for weight except to create a calorie deficit. the sure fire way to lose weight: Calories in/Calories Out.
  • valeriekelly1974
    valeriekelly1974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- great feedback! I will attempt to have more patience and will edit my profile to display my stats and food diary. Obviously eating well and exercise make me feel healthier regardless if there is weight loss or not - but it would be nice if they could go hand-in-hand!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Nine days isn't long. Give your body time. This won't be the last frustration you have, for sure :D
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you need to lose and have you yo - yo dieted in the past? It may be you are not eating enough if you are exercising and your body has gone in to starvation mode or if you have dieted before your body may just be hanging on to the weight for a couple of weeks to see if you are going to stick with it. Either way stick with it and the results will come also use other measures such as how your clothes feel on and how you are feeling. I am dieting without weighing and the lack of stress from the scales is great. No worries about plateaus as I just concentrate on eating a well balanced low calorie diet and exercise well. I have dropped almost two clothes sizes since Christmas :)

No...do not tell people that their body has gone into starvation mode. Everything else you said is helpful.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Eating at a maintenance level probably.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Are you working out a lot? How much water are you drinking?

I have been working out faithfully for almost 4 weeks now. I have seen absolutely no weight loss, in fact, I've seen gain at this point. However, I'm not worried because I am pretty sure the reason is because:

1. I didn't start counting calories until last week.
    2. I am lifting weights 4 times a week, as well as doing cardio daily and yoga daily.

I'm pretty sure that because I started out with no muscle at all that I won't see losses yet because right now my body is building muscle. I may be losing fat and building muscle at the same time. I'm not a trained professional, so don't take my word for it, but maybe look into it. This happens to me every time I start over and decide to build muscle at the same time as watching my calories. One time I started over and just watched what I ate closely and worked out maybe twice a week, and I saw loses right away, because I really wasn't trying in my workouts and wasn't building a whole bunch of muscle. You can do it that way if you want, but I remember being hungry every minute of it. Up to you.

Every time I decide to get back into working out and eating healthy, I noticed that the times I relied on the scale for my happiness, I gave up within a week because I didn't see losses immediately. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing (make sure you calculated your Base met rate and are consuming the right amount of calories), but I would hide the scale for the first month. Start a fitness challenge or yoga class. Do whats fun for you and count your calories. Do it for you and your well being first and foremost. Then after a month or maybe two, bring the scale back out. Also, if you have a tape measure, that really gives you a better idea of your progress than the scale. The scale doesn't give you the full picture.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

I agree with soo much of this! I threw out my scale this time, although I snuck and weighed at the store today, just for a baseline. However, I don't do well when I obsess over the scale. I'm focusing on cardio, lifting, and food intake and letting it take care of itself. (Hopefully, as I am only on week 2). I'm much more positive this time around and stay excited about the possible results I will see.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    "How much weight do you need to lose and have you yo - yo dieted in the past? It may be you are not eating enough if you are exercising and your body has gone in to starvation mode or if you have dieted before your body may just be hanging on to the weight for a couple of weeks to see if you are going to stick with it. Either way stick with it and the results will come also use other measures such as how your clothes feel on and how you are feeling. I am dieting without weighing and the lack of stress from the scales is great. No worries about plateaus as I just concentrate on eating a well balanced low calorie diet and exercise well. I have dropped almost two clothes sizes since Christmas :) "

How much do you know about "starvation mode"?
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Took me a few weeks beforeI started seeing the number on the scale move
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    9 days is nothing. Make a plan & commit to 6-9 weeks before you evaluate making changes.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- great feedback! I will attempt to have more patience and will edit my profile to display my stats and food diary. Obviously eating well and exercise make me feel healthier regardless if there is weight loss or not - but it would be nice if they could go hand-in-hand!

I viewed your food diary and you are eating a lot of good foods so that isn't your problem. Some days you do have quite a bit of calories leftover that you aren't using though. You may want to eat more. You eat a lot of low calorie vegetables and fruits as well so it could be that you aren't eating enough. Sounds weird, but I've known others who actually don't show much of a loss when they stay under the recommended calories each day. Either way you will get there! The loss will start showing soon. Don't give up!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you are not weighing your food you could be consuming more calories than you think. cups and spoons are frequently wrong so if you don't have a food scale I recommend getting one. Also make sure you are logging your entries correctly. Avoid generic or homemade (unless it is your exact recipe). Make sure you are drinking at least 8 cups of water daily.

Hot yoga will lead to water weight loss, but you will regain this soon after so I wouldn't count it. Exercise that gets your heart rate elevated for a sustained period of time should be counted as cardio. If you aren't doing some resistance exercise (i.e. weights) I would recommend adding this in as well.

9 days is too soon. Keep making adjustments and you will get to your goal!
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    9 days is quite early to tell. I was consistently working out for 2 months and eating foods with high nutritional value (and was not overeating) but didn't see results until the 3rd month. Everyone's body is different of course so it all depends. On the other hand, I had tried to cut out starches and certain carbs (pastas, breads, etc) and only until I began to slowly bring bread back into my diet did I see a substantial weight loss.

I wouldn't be too stressed about it - just keep doing what you're doing and it will happen!
  • valeriekelly1974
    valeriekelly1974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow - this feedback is wonderful - thank you all so much! My recent weigh-in shows me at a 2 pound loss so I guess things are starting! And you are all so correct when you say "give it time". I'm a little (a lot?) impatient and I like to see results immediately. One day at a time is an important mind-set to adopt. As well, I plan to eat all of my calories by the end of the day to avoid the starvation mode debacle. It's a bit of a challenge given that I want to keep my sugars low so I need to WANT to eat foods that I don't really WANT to eat. Does that make sense? Have a great y'all and thanks again!