Simple weight loss

Options
Hey! I have been on this app off and on for a couple of years and I've really decided that I want to lose weight. Not for anyone else but for me.
With that being said, what are some exercises (at home) that would be good? And how often do you guys eat in a day and what foods. I feel like I'm clueless but I really wanna getting serious about this.
And PLEASEEEEEE someone keep me accountable.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Simple weight loss? Does that mean 'I dont really want to try very hard'?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple:

Eat foods you enjoy within your calories. If you find that you are hungry, adjust to have fewer starches, more high fiber, protein and healthy fats.

For exercise, do what you enjoy: dancing? Walking? Biking? Over time, get a balance of stretching, cardio and strength.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Consume less calories than you use.

Do this over a sustained period of time.

Do it however you see fit.

Eat what you choose and when you choose based on your likes, health related goals, athletic performance and adherence.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is to eat less than you burn. You can eat anything and how many times a day you want. Exercise is just getting moving, use your body, burn some fuel. You know, them calories. It's just math.

For health, satiety and general wellbeing, what you eat and when, will have an impact. And what works for you can and will be a little different from everybody else. Lots of different ways of eating can also be equally effective for you. You just have to try. What are you doing now? Start there. Log your day in the food log. See how it matches (or diverges from) your goals. Find out where you can add or subtract without feeling deprived. Are you hungry in the morning? Eat a bigger breakfast. Are you looking for something sweet after dinner? Make room for a treat. Does eating sweets just make you want more? Throw them out. It's all up to what you need and prefer. Make small changes, they can add up over time.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What worked for me: Start doing what you're doing now, except within your calorie allowance. The rest of the pieces will fall into place in a way that suits you, your tastes, your lifestyle, etc. You ate x and were starving the rest of the day? Then x should be a "once in a while" thing. You want to eat y but it has too many calories? Can you eat half of y instead with a big pile of veggies to fill up on? Do you find that eating z sets you off on a binge? Avoid z. Always running out of calories and running out of cuts and swaps to make in your diet? How about being more active?
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Simple to me would be to just focus on food choices/portion control and incorporate exercise later. Sometimes taking on food changes and exercise can be overwhelming. Also Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is a great quick at home workout it might be on youtube if not the dvd is super cheap.
  • kaitrn883
    kaitrn883 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use apps on my phone, I alternate between maybe 6 of them. SWORKIT has a few I like and my favorite is the app "workouts". It has a blue girl on it she looks like she's running. I do them all the time and feel like I actually am getting a good at home/gym workout.
  • kaitrn883
    kaitrn883 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And they are free! So even better
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Enter your details into MFP and select a reasonable pace of weight loss (maybe .5lbs if you don't have much to lose or want to ease yourself in). Eat all your calories up to the goal which MFP sets you. Try to pick a variety of foods and focus on those which will fill you up for longer to help you to keep to your goal.
    If you exercise, you can eat more calories, but beware of over-zealous estimations. Getting your heart rate up a few times a week is good, so is resistance training. The best kind of exercise, though, is the type you enjoy and can keep doing regularly, whether that is walking, swimming, dancing, weightlifting, judo, or Youtube videos at home.
    The process of establishing good habits which help you to lose weight is a bit trial and error sometimes, so don't beat yourself up if you face setbacks. That's life! It takes patience and time.
  • sierrandickson
    sierrandickson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thanks so much! Since the weather is nice where I live, I think I will start walking, and some yoga! And also start watching what I eat! I eat out WAY to much!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Simple weight loss? Does that mean 'I dont really want to try very hard'?

nope it just means dont make it too complicated so that you just give up
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Op for me i kept it simple by logging everything i ate as accurately as possible.as soon as i stop the weight stays the same or i gain
    i didnt cut out anything but just reduced the portions.
    i added exercise, first started off with 30 day shred and spinning
    i then started exercising on a regular basis using hasfit.com and fitnessblender.com
    good luck
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    checkout fitnessblender.com, they have loads (500+) free workout videos, lots of body weight ones as well. I live in a super small town with no gym and they are my go to!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As far as a simple workout, go for a walk. That's what my Dr told me to do to start working out. It's low impact, and gets in some cardio and all you need is a pair of walking/running shoes.
    I like Fitnessblender and HasFIT videos a well they give you some variety so you don't get bored doing the same thing all the time, and if you really push yourself you get a great workout.
  • geemariep
    geemariep Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's very disheartening to see how snarky some of you can be in response to someone asking for help. My suggestion; if you aren't willing to help, then don't comment at all. The fact is, losing weight IS simple. Just remember that you were in her shoes at one point, before you became the All Knowinf MFP God. OP, I will offer you any help I am able to give. Feel free to message and/or add me as a friend ;)
  • sierrandickson
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Do you have a food scale?
    Yes I do
  • sierrandickson
    Options
    Op for me i kept it simple by logging everything i ate as accurately as possible.as soon as i stop the weight stays the same or i gain
    i didnt cut out anything but just reduced the portions.
    i added exercise, first started off with 30 day shred and spinning
    i then started exercising on a regular basis using hasfit.com and fitnessblender.com
    good luck
    Awesome! Did you like 30 day shred?
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I were just starting out I would spend the next week just logging every single thing I eat - don't worry about anything else. Then next week take a look at where you can cut out some calories and start adding more water. Baby steps is the easiest way to get into a groove. Exercise is great for your health and your mind, but weigh loss is about how much you are eating.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    geemariep wrote: »
    It's very disheartening to see how snarky some of you can be in response to someone asking for help. My suggestion; if you aren't willing to help, then don't comment at all. The fact is, losing weight IS simple. Just remember that you were in her shoes at one point, before you became the All Knowinf MFP God. OP, I will offer you any help I am able to give. Feel free to message and/or add me as a friend ;)

Obviously you are trying very hard to find snark.

Every one of the posts have been helpful based on what someone knows and probably got from MFP.

Who wants help from someone as opinionated as you.

Now, that's snark. You're welcome.