Weight loss tricks and tips

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Tip, shop, prep, and prepare as much food as you can for the coming week. Package it in individual portion sizes. Freeze if necessary. Hectic mornings are a snap. Just throw everything in your lunch container and go. Saves a lot of time and saves you from choosing fast food for quick breakfasts and lunches.
  • liddylee
    liddylee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sunday meal prep for the week. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and snacks. I can't stay committed otherwise. Too much work and other outside distractions keeping me from my goal NOT to food prep. I've gotten it down to a science and can get the week done in about an hour and half.

Good luck!
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I started I was doing a Keto diet because I thought carbs were bad. When I stalled 5 weeks later I started doing research and realized its really just CICO. Started preparing my food at home, instead of going to the grocery store once a month, I started going 4-5 times a week for fresh foods. Started tracking my CI on MFP, weighing my portions, down to the gram in some cases. I do have to say that starting on Keto did help relieve my food cravings and help me get full on less food per sitting. I also regularly don't eat after 5pm - this seems to help me get full on less food as well.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    When I realized the following I lost and have pretty much maintained within my range for 2 years...took me a year to lose.

1. Eat the foods I love/want/crave in reasonable portions.
    2. realizing no food is "bad"
    3. Logging accurately and consistently using a food scale and correct entries. I often prelog an entire week which leaves me lots of space for changes/adds/deletions.
    4. Fueling my workouts properly (still learning that one a bit)
    5. realizing my goal shouldn't just be scale weight...how I look, feel, clothing size, measurments, bf%, pounds lifted, miles ran/walked/biked and weight are all what I use to measure my success.
    6. not letting the scale dictate my "mood"...see above
    7. eating as much as possible while still losing an appropriate amount of weight and not suffering through hunger when it's not required.
    This is perfect, @SezxyStef and pretty much what I was going to say!
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work and to keep myself consistent I prepack my gym bag and leave it in my car. I go straight there after work because if I go home and sit down it's game over. So wherever you go to work out, eliminate as many steps as you can to accomplishing it so there is less room for error! Works for meals too, precook EVERYTHING.
  • shoegirll
    shoegirll Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're looking for specific little tips, not big picture/general kind of tips.

Crystal light and fiber one brownies helped me ween off the sweets. That was a big help for me when I was starting out.

I am so into sugar! Thanks!
  • shoegirll
    Options
    alot have said food scale- I actually have one and use it like a maniac! I even have measuring cups and spoons here at my office!

Thanks everyone!
  • shoegirll
    Options
    cheer4beer wrote: »
    I eat a lot of the same foods over and over. Partly to make sure my logging is accurate and consistant, and partly because I love eating them. I pre-weigh and pack lunches several days out. More variety is something I'll have to work on as I get closer to maintenance but for weight loss, it takes a lot of guess work out.

i do the same- same food, different day!
  • shoegirll
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    I feel like the people saying "no tricks, I just ate less and moved more!" are being a little disingenuous. While there's no "secret trick" to make the pounds melt, I'm 100% sure everyone who's tried to lose weight has learned something that made it a bit easier, even though it all boils down to that.

For me it was to pre-portion my food before I ate ANYTHING. That way I didn't overeat - or if I did end up eating two portions, I knew exactly how much I was eating.

I try to measure out everything! even got my kids weighing things!
  • ekwagner97
    ekwagner97 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water helped me! Whenever I was getting a bit hungry but I had already reached my calorie intake for the day I would always have a hot tea or low calorie hot beverage and that would make me feel a little more full. Also staying away from after dinner/late night stacking helped me loose the weight a bit quicker. Hope this helps!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It's not a big secret thing, but figuring out that I don't have to eat breakfast or have a snack every few hours really helpd. I've never liked eating early in the day, but the notion that I had to in order to lose weight was coming from so many places (some studies, weight watchers, more than one doctor, etc.).
    Forcing myself to eat an extra meal was making weight loss more difficult and unpleasant than it needed to be, and wasting calories in the morning when I knew I'd be a lot hungrier at suppertime wasn't helping my meet my 1200-1300 cals/day goal. I just have two larger meals when I'm hungry, one in the afternoon and one in the eveningt.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    No secret. Just day after day diligence.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    The trick that has helped me the most is logging everything I eat after 6 PM on the following day. I have less flexibility with dinner, because my husband won't eat "diet food", and less self-control over my snacking at night. It is common for me to eat over half my calories in the evening. When I get up the next morning I can plan my meals around the calories I have left and find time to fit in some exercise if I need to increase my budget.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    1. Sleep
    2. Exercise for mood
    3. LIFT WEIGHTS
    4. Meal prep is crucial for me. I have to make lunches for work!
    5. Not forcing myself to eat breakfast
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein keeps me from staying hungry. My muscles are also looking pretty. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    That there are no short cuts. Calories too low causes binges. Binges hinder progress. Short cut foods like sugar free, etc, tend to backfire and cause cravings and bloating. Be consistent and know that there are no short cuts. It's the consistent calorie deficit and a ton of patience in the long haul that wins every time.
  • Jayz395
    Jayz395 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's finding what works for you and that could take a few weeks, I found a bigger breakfast with smaller lunch and dinner for me I find I don't get hungry before dinner which I have late. I use mfp and log everything in the morning so I know what's what for the day. I ate all the foods I like, regardless how bad they are for you, if I could fit it in my calories of 1600 I would and have lost over 2 stone as of Sunday without the super healthy foods and complicated macros
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    09g7Crw.png