Ways to eliminate late night cravings?

Options
I feel like every single night I am not completely satisfied after dinner! I always crave something sweet. What are some of your tips and tricks to stay on track at night?

Replies

• barby8051
    barby8051 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello is my go to if I do not have calories to spare. Also, SF hot chocolate. If I have a lot of wiggle room then I like something healthy- fruit, homemade granola bars, and lately the blueberry frozen yogurt(both recipes are from MFP)
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Tea and sleep!

Also, I'm a night owl and need a little something sweet as well so I always make sure to save enough cals (I usually prelog) for a small dessert in the evening. If you're out of calories or if you're one of those people that a small treat leads to more and more, try reading, tea, smelly lotion, painting your nails, or just going to sleep.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    hot tea,low calories snacks like yogurt or fresh fruit. I usually drag out my bed time routine, preparing for the next day and the hot tea helps. I also play games on pogo and or we watch movies or tv together as a family and no eating in the tv room rule helps to cut out snacking.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Give in.
    I like Lindt Chocolate Sea Salt square.
    50 calories each.
    In other words, choose a high quality sweet.
  • laurie7075
    laurie7075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think night binge eating is my biggest issue. My work schedule is all over the place, and I tend to want to eat late at night, even wake up and find myself snacking during the weee hours of the morning...any suggestions how to curb this?? I've tried keeping low calorie snacks, etc. but it doesn't satisfy me. I usually don't eat breakfast as a result of waking up still full from the night before.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I try to save enough calories throughout the day for 2 servings of 110cal/serving ice cream. I love the Breyer's 1/2 fat slow churned chocolate brownie ice cream. A good amount of ice cream for 220cals. If I don't have enough calories left for two servings I do one, or eat a fiber one brownie.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of craving and my frame of mind (emotional eater, very little self-control/discipline). When I was successful at eating something sweet at night without giving in to the tempting chocolate, I had frozen berries (though thawed during the day in the fridge). It required pre-planning but was something I looked forward to at the end of the day. Sometimes I also added some kind of yoghurt or other dairy sweetener, but not always.

And then when I did eat chocolate, I would eat a small piece of dark chocolate. I also had nut packages prepared (about 200 cals) which I might "spike" with some of my favourite salty licorice if I was really craving. It helped me keep away from eating the whole bag of candy or whole bag of nuts and kept me sated.

I actually need to adopt these habits again as they worked quite well when I stuck to them.

Good luck!

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i save some calories for a before bed snack. i used to have a square of sees sugar free chocolate each evening, a couple sugar free fudgcicles (turns out the original version is sugar free - who knew?), a small bowl of cereal or like Kitship says, the dryer's slow churned is tasty. i used to have the sugar free fudge tracks. btw, while some people like cutting out sugar to avoid the calories, i'm diabetic - if you want a snack with sugar, just budget the calories.

now i'm doing things a bit differently as i'm working out more frequently, so i might have half a quest bar - a whole one if i want - and my favorite flavor is double chocolate chunk. 90 calories for a half, or if i want the protein boost, 180 calories for the entire thing.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Like JanetYellen I LOVE that Lindt Sea Salt dark chocolate but I can't keep to just one square. Btw the salted caramel one is even better I think!

To stop me having those sweet nibbles I try and get the willpower to drink a peppermint tea or brush my teeth ready for bed instead. Peppermint puts me off having anything else.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Either have something sweet, or don't.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS leave room in my day for a sweet treat after dinner. It makes the plan live able for me!
  • melissamk89
    melissamk89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tea and sleep!

Also, I'm a night owl and need a little something sweet as well so I always make sure to save enough cals (I usually prelog) for a small dessert in the evening. If you're out of calories or if you're one of those people that a small treat leads to more and more, try reading, tea, smelly lotion, painting your nails, or just going to sleep.

• melissamk89
    melissamk89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, this is all very helpful and I will try some of your suggestions!! ❤️