Best Running shoes - Affordability + Quality

Options
2»

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Last year's model of what fits you, on clearance.

I buy my Newtons for under 30 bucks this way
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Check Amazon if you have a brand and style you like. Add some to your wish list and check on them periodically, because the prices fluctuate. I got a last year's model pair of Mizuno at less than half price. Then a day later, they were $20 more.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I started off getting fitted for the right brand at a running store. Then found that same brand at DSW. It may have been a last year's model, but the fitting of the brand rarely changes. I have always had Brooks shoes.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Funny how there are many who like Brooks. I tried a pair and didn't like then at all. So I went back to Adidas SNova. By far my favorite. I also like Saucony.

Everyone is different.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Yeah. I'm still using the Kinvara 5. Those are about $65. The Kinvara 6 is $120. Nothing wrong with the 5. :smile:
    @_Waffle_ @litsy3 I still search the deep web for Kinvara 4's. Have 3 pair right now and know where to get more :) Best race shoe I've ever worn. Brooks ghost 6 and7's for long runs and Hoka Challenger ATR 1's for trail/mtn running.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 25 years. At this point, I know what I like and what I don't - but I make an occasional mistake (like a pair of Asics Gel Cumulus that gave me butt kicking PF). If you're new, get fitted at a running store. Be honest, and tell them you don't have a lot to spend. I also really like running warehouse. You can upload a video of you running on a treadmill and they'll make recommendations. There is always risk. That $120 pair of Asics: I had fitted at a running store; but I put close to 600 miles on a pair of Merrill's that I found on sale for $60. Not knocking the running store - they had no way of knowing the shoes were going to affect me that way. You just never know.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Awesome!~ Will do !
    Awesome!~ Will do !

did you ever get fixed up with new shoes?

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    This is like asking what is the best haircut for you. It is down to the individual, and more detailed than just whatever makes you look nice....
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

This.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Yeah. I'm still using the Kinvara 5. Those are about $65. The Kinvara 6 is $120. Nothing wrong with the 5. :smile:

6pm.com is a good site for great prices on last year's models.

If you find a shoe you love, buy many pairs of it if you see it on clearance (assuming your feet are done growing). I have at least 6 pairs of identical Vibram Bikila's (in a few changes colors) for that reason.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have many pairs of shoes but running with barefeet is also a great (free) option. One day intend to run a marathon barefoot
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My Nike 3.0's got me through FBI police training in Quantico. And I ran my *kitten* off daily.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My Nike 3.0's got me through FBI police training in Quantico. And I ran my *kitten* off daily.

Id try those if it weren't for the L Knee Injury . I ended up purchasing Asics Gel-Cumulus 17 ... So far so good

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

THIS
    Sometimes you can get clearouts of last year's model. Check with your running store. And if you ever find yourself with a bit more money than usual, buy 2 pairs of runners at that time and stash one in your closet.

This. I currently have 4 pairs of idential running shoes in my closet.

I saw a model I have worn before on super clearance ($22, shipped!!!) and bought 5 pairs for what I usually spend on one! Since I go through ~3 pairs a year....it was an amazing find!
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love love love Newtons!! Yes they will hurt your calves at first, but they are awesome! They teach you the right way to land (non heal strike). The ones I have now we're last seasons and they were $50.00!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I agree that last year's model/colour can be a great buy. I got my brooks dyads for around AU$170 instead of about AU$240 new.
    I'm so jealous of you US runners and your cheap shoes... I passed through the US earlier this year but didn't have time to go shopping, I should stay an extra day next year and stock up on shoes - it would just about pay for an extra night there!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

Id try those if it weren't for the L Knee Injury . I ended up purchasing Asics Gel-Cumulus 17 ... So far so good

good shoe for slight over pronators.
    did you get gait analysis too?

• UliKutting
    UliKutting Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm more than happy with my Brooks Adrenaline. I buy every year the last year model. ;)
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Exactly. I always laugh when I'm getting fitted for new shoes and the salesperson makes a remark about the colour scheme. Do people really care what colour their running shoes are? I'm not wearing them for fashion, I could care less what colour they are.

Yes. There are some that really care. I worked in a running shoe store for a year and people care about the color. Even the size. So many people didn't want the extra toe room because they didn't like the number on the box or because it made their foot look "big".

Also for anyone getting different models of the same shoe- just know that fit and feel can change drastically from model to model. Sneaker technology can change quickly these days and brands want to update their shoes to seem high tech. The 2 biggest failures I saw was the women's rider 16 had new heat seams and we saw a 25-30% return rate because it was scraping a lot of people's toes. And there was an Adrenaline model that didn't correct over pronation even one bit.

So just beware if you try on a current model in a store and look for an older model online. There's a chance it might not fit exactly the same.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »

good shoe for slight over pronators.
    did you get gait analysis too?

Havent had time to get a gait analysis yet - we don't have that option in my town. However, my chiropractor adjusts my knee every week and says I need to place insoles in my new runners for extra knee support ...