News Feed Garbage

Options
vixtris
vixtris Posts: 688 Member
I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off garbage posts from other people in my news feed? Things like "completed his/her food and exercise diary" and "is now friends with ..." Either through a MyFitnessPal setting, or through an add-on or script for my browser (I'm using FireFox). I am aware that I can turn off my own status posts, but I have so many friends that do not turn these status posts off, and it makes it tedious to go through my feed to see real (actually typed) status updates. I have been accumulating a lot of friends, and I love giving them all support and comments, but it takes a lot of my time going through all the garbage!

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    "Garbage" is a little harsh IMO.

Those status posts mean a lot to some people.

Please be a more compassionate friend. We're all in this together. :smiley:
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I turned off the setting for " finished diary and under calorie ". Don't think people know there's a setting for that
  • ladymuaythai
    ladymuaythai Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Lol nah that's not a setting. Lesson ur friend load is a great option
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I turned off the setting for " finished diary and under calorie ". Don't think people know there's a setting for that

There's no friend settings in real life, bro. :smile:

We're in this thing together. ALL IN or nothing at all, bro!

• vixtris
    Options
    "Garbage" is a little harsh IMO.

Those status posts mean a lot to some people.

Please be a more compassionate friend. We're all in this together. :smiley:

Not trying to be harsh, but it just spams my feed. Its all good that they are using the diary and everything, but so are many people on MFP and its nothing special to me that they complete it. However, I like reading posts that they type about their day or needing advice or whatever. Those are more meaningful to me, and responding to those types of post (if I even get to see them over all of the spam) seems to be more like something a compassionate friend would do.
  • ladymuaythai
    ladymuaythai Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • vixtris
    edited March 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Delete your entire friend list. That's what I did because I'm a reluctant cheerleader anyway and all the updates about burning 1,500 calories tripping down the stairs, patting the cat and farting in the sofa cushion was a bit too much for me after a year and a half. Also the rah rahs for completing the diary thing, the logging on for so many days thing - I know what you mean. Plus being expected to occasionally comment on what people were eating was quite the chore. I don't like what most people eat. I mostly dislike butter and skeeve cream sauces and I hate yogurt (except for frozen) and almost all foods containing any cheese. Since eavesdropping on food diaries at MFP, I notice most people eat a ton of dairy every day or dairy flavored things. Eeww.

So I let everyone know with a general announcement on my wall, thanking them for being friendly and supportive themselves (they were and I liked them!) and said goodbye and no hard feelings please. 24 hours later I deleted the entire list and I've been flying solo ever since. It feels great to be freewheeling on MFP, with no obligations!

If you want to joke around, converse back and forth or offer meaningful advice to someone asking for help, all that's here on the main boards. You don't need a friend list for that.

Edited to add: And I just noticed you have 441 friends. Your wall features the ramblings of 441 friends every day, plus their updates???

Lol thanks for your insight. Yes, I go through all of the updates from 441 people (less because I do have some inactive friends). I can't stop being a cheerleader for people though, its in my blood!! lol.

On another note, I've been fooling around with AdBlock Plus's Element Hiding Helped Add on for firefox. I can hide the div elements of a specific persons status update, but cannot figure out how to filter the elements by the content/text that is inside of them...
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I find it ironic that someone who complains about posts on her News Feed from friends, and calls that spam, actually posted the exact same message within five minutes on two different Community Message Boards - by definition, that in itself is a form of spam.

jredmebjfnn5.jpg
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    tpmnasn9dnr9.jpeg
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I find it ironic that someone who complains about posts on her News Feed from friends, and calls that spam, actually posted the exact same message within five minutes on two different Community Message Boards - by definition, that in itself is a form of spam.

jredmebjfnn5.jpg

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    If these posts are garbage then why have 441 friends? As @ClubSilencio these posts mean a lot to some people and if you've signed up to be a friend then you sign up for posts such as these
    There's no rule saying you HAVE to have MFP friends
  • GymnasticsMommy
    GymnasticsMommy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @ClubSilencio thank you for having a beautiful profile pic :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your collection of 441 people who use this site for its intended purpose. I suspect you'll have a smaller collection by the end of the day.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

There's no friend settings in real life, bro. :smile:

We're in this thing together. ALL IN or nothing at all, bro!

That sentence made my whole life
  • vixtris
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

jredmebjfnn5.jpg

Didn't know that happened. A moderator must have moved my first post because when I checked back here my discussion was gone so I thought maybe it didn't go through.
  • vixtris
    Options
    I'm not sure why the responses here are so hostile. I'm simply asking if anyone may know of a filter add-on for firefox, since it has been noted that MFP does not have a feature for filtering statuses.
  • vixtris
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Congrats on your collection of 441 people who use this site for its intended purpose. I suspect you'll have a smaller collection by the end of the day.

Yea looks like I may have to delete some inactive people.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Short answer, no there is no way to filter them. Frankly, those are the things I like to see from my friends. So I guess this is like garage sales, one person's trash is another person's treasure.

BTW, cutting out inactive friends won't really make any difference since they are not going to be completing their diary, exercising, or any other of those things that seem so useless to you.
  • will_lift_for_tacos
    will_lift_for_tacos Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    441 people, and you're wondering why your news feed is cluttered? Not trying to sound like a *kitten* here but some people actually use this site for its intended purpose, fitness. Logging calories, weight loss, exercise entries. Not just to b.s. Maybe you should try Facebook.
  • vixtris
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Short answer, no there is no way to filter them. Frankly, those are the things I like to see from my friends. So I guess this is like garage sales, one person's trash is another person's treasure.

BTW, cutting out inactive friends won't really make any difference since they are not going to be completing their diary, exercising, or any other of those things that seem so useless to you.

Thank you for your response. You're right - I will have to pay attention to who my most active friends are that actually post statuses and delete those who aren't as communicative.