Shakeology

Options

Replies

• bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You had me til this, if you are not allergic to gluten (about 1% of the population) gluten isn't a problem. It can be good for many people...
    but it has the additional disadvantage of being not certified gluten free.

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You had me til this, if you are not allergic to gluten (about 1% of the population) gluten isn't a problem. It can be good for many people...

I am very gluten intolerant - it puts me in the ER. I realize it's just fine for most people; I am not one of them. I find it ironic that I can get a GF product for significantly less than a non-GF product.
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know there are a small subset of people who can't eat gluten, my concern is when people equate gluten to bad for you, or meat to bad for you or anything which is healthy for the majority of people as bad for you. Most people who don't eat gluten are allergic to knowing there is gluten in things, not actually having gluten in things.

I am very gluten intolerant - it puts me in the ER. I realize it's just fine for most people; I am not one of them. I find it ironic that I can get a GF product for significantly less than a non-GF product.

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ewhsweets wrote: »
    I LOVE Shakology, and I think there is a misconception about what it's intended use is. It is not intended nor is it marketed as as a 'weight loss' shake, and it's most definitely NOT a protein supplement! If you're looking for either one of these things Shakeology is not for you at all. Suggest going to your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and speaking to somebody about what you're actually looking for. Shakeology is a health shake it's called the Healthiest Meal of the Day, that as a byproduct 'can' assist with weight loss as a part of an exercise and diet program. Personally, I agree and I've taken it for a long time because it makes me feel FANTASTIC! I can tell by how my body feels on days that I don't take it.

I hope one takes time before they put anything like this into their bodies to do their research as well by looking at the back of the package to see what sortof sugar/carbs and garbage is in some of these cheap products that make them taste better or 'just as good'. Google the ingredients of Shakeology yourself, it is a combination of a whole mess of things that are AWESOME for your body (Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fats and proteins). It is a bit more pricey than some other supplements, but it just has far more high quality ingredients that I'd have to take several pills to get elsewhere. My OMEGA 3-6-9 alone was $20 a month for the decent quality pills. Shakeology is about $4 a serving, I wouldn't pay that much each day for coffee I don't think there was ever a comparison to that. If however, you take it in place of an entire meal, you will save a fortune. Take a look at what the average 'healthy' meal will cost you, my guess is about $6-10.

Do you need it to lose weight? Absolutely NOT! Is it good for you, promote a healthy diet overall? In my Opinion...ABSOLUTELY!!!...and worth every penny.

BTW I do not sell Shakeology, but I do belong to Beachbody just to get the discount on it...

I can easily spend less than $4 for a meal that's really filling and nutritionally sound. And is like, real food. And it will have a longer satiety than a shake. I know one BB 'coach' in real life who sells the shakes and she's overweight. She's also lost a lot of friends, including me, over it. It's pretty sad actually. But, to each their own.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Shakology, and I think there is a misconception about what it's intended use is. It is not intended nor is it marketed as as a 'weight loss' shake, and it's most definitely NOT a protein supplement! If you're looking for either one of these things Shakeology is not for you at all. Suggest going to your local GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and speaking to somebody about what you're actually looking for. Shakeology is a health shake it's called the Healthiest Meal of the Day, that as a byproduct 'can' assist with weight loss as a part of an exercise and diet program. Personally, I agree and I've taken it for a long time because it makes me feel FANTASTIC! I can tell by how my body feels on days that I don't take it.

I hope one takes time before they put anything like this into their bodies to do their research as well by looking at the back of the package to see what sortof sugar/carbs and garbage is in some of these cheap products that make them taste better or 'just as good'. Google the ingredients of Shakeology yourself, it is a combination of a whole mess of things that are AWESOME for your body (Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fats and proteins). It is a bit more pricey than some other supplements, but it just has far more high quality ingredients that I'd have to take several pills to get elsewhere. My OMEGA 3-6-9 alone was $20 a month for the decent quality pills. Shakeology is about $4 a serving, I wouldn't pay that much each day for coffee I don't think there was ever a comparison to that. If however, you take it in place of an entire meal, you will save a fortune. Take a look at what the average 'healthy' meal will cost you, my guess is about $6-10.

Do you need it to lose weight? Absolutely NOT! Is it good for you, promote a healthy diet overall? In my Opinion...ABSOLUTELY!!!...and worth every penny.

BTW I do not sell Shakeology, but I do belong to Beachbody just to get the discount on it...

actually, you don't need it for a healthy diet either. You can just eat vegetables, fruits, etc, and supplement with a multi vitamin and you will have an overall healthy diet.

shakeology is necessary for nothing.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options

At 140 calories, it is also not a meal replacement. Additionally, a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and a hard-boiled egg costs right around $1, so much less than that shake. Heck, I could add a certified gluten-free protein shake to that and come out at less than $2; not only is Shakeology twice as expensive, but it has the additional disadvantage of being not certified gluten free.

Who said anything about being gluten free? You want to get into a meal high in vitamins, fats, amino acids, start adding some fiber, greens, fruits, avocado, salmon etc. to that hard boiled egg and oatmeal of yours and you're spending more than your $2.
  • ndj1979
    Options

At 140 calories, it is also not a meal replacement. Additionally, a bowl of oatmeal, a banana, and a hard-boiled egg costs right around $1, so much less than that shake. Heck, I could add a certified gluten-free protein shake to that and come out at less than $2; not only is Shakeology twice as expensive, but it has the additional disadvantage of being not certified gluten free.

Who said anything about being gluten free? You want to get into a meal high in vitamins, fats, amino acids, start adding some fiber, greens, fruits, avocado, salmon etc. to that hard boiled egg and oatmeal of yours and you're spending more than your $2.

shakeology is not necessary for anything that you listed in your post.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was given a bag of it by a coach ( she is also a co-worker) it tastes pretty bad. I ended up giving it away and just buying better and cheaper stuff at the store. And the coaches DO say it is a meal replacement shake and DO post pictures etc saying that is what they are doing with it.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Well OK then. Fair enough.

Can you post a screen shot or extract from a typical Shakeology shake pack to show us what the nutritional profile is using the standard g of nutrient, etc per 100g of product notation? That way we can work out if it is indeed giving the best bang for buck.

I grow very tired of people not reading what I wrote, again and I quote:

"Google the ingredients of Shakeology yourself, it is a combination of a whole mess of things that are AWESOME for your body (Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fats and proteins). "

Google it yourself, this is my opinion, which the original poster asked for. Do your own research.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Again! I grow very tired of people not reading what I wrote

I re-quote myself from my original post the very last sentence. " Do you need it to lose weight? Absolutely NOT! Is it good for you, promote a healthy diet overall? In my Opinion...ABSOLUTELY!!!...and worth every penny. "

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's crap in a bag. So I call it crap bag.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well OK then. Fair enough.

Can you post a screen shot or extract from a typical Shakeology shake pack to show us what the nutritional profile is using the standard g of nutrient, etc per 100g of product notation? That way we can work out if it is indeed giving the best bang for buck.

I grow very tired of people not reading what I wrote, again and I quote:

"Google the ingredients of Shakeology yourself, it is a combination of a whole mess of things that are AWESOME for your body (Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fats and proteins). "

Google it yourself, this is my opinion, which the original poster asked for. Do your own research.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Again! I grow very tired of people not reading what I wrote

I re-quote myself from my original post the very last sentence. " Do you need it to lose weight? Absolutely NOT! Is it good for you, promote a healthy diet overall? In my Opinion...ABSOLUTELY!!!...and worth every penny. "

you said this:

You want to get into a meal high in vitamins, fats, amino acids, start adding some fiber, greens, fruits, avocado, salmon etc. to that hard boiled egg and oatmeal of yours and you're spending more than your $2.

to which I replied, "shakelogy is not necessary for anything that you listed in your post" which it is not. You can have a diet high in micro-nutrients with zero shakeology.

so who is not reading properly?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I know there are a small subset of people who can't eat gluten, my concern is when people equate gluten to bad for you, or meat to bad for you or anything which is healthy for the majority of people as bad for you. Most people who don't eat gluten are allergic to knowing there is gluten in things, not actually having gluten in things.

I try to be language-neutral to the point where I don't even frame gluten as "bad for me", just a substance to which I am very intolerant.

I have had Shakeology marketed in my direction by BB coaches as being gluten-free; I am sure that's a selling point for the people who are allergic to the idea of gluten being in things (I really like that!); but for someone like me who actually has severe adverse reactions to the stuff, the cross-contamination in the manufacturing process is enough to make me very ill.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Lets see...

2 cups spinach.....$0.50 (15 cals)
    50g diced bell pepper....$0.25 (18 cals)
    50g diced tomato.....$0.25 (10 cals)
    1/4 an avocado....$0.24 (50cals)
    1 lg egg plus 3whites....$0.32 (115 cals).
    Slice of toast.....$0.10 (70cals)
    5g butter....$0.11 (40cals)

So $2.03 for a VERY LARGE breakfast (318 cals only)...I can have a breakfast high in micro and maco nutrients.

I can't honestly think of a meal that would be healthy and cost $6-$10 for one meal?!
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    People claim it helps control their hunger but I am not sure how drinking calories can provide satiety over solid foods. Sounds like a placebo effect. :(
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The vitamins are added.... just like a multivitamin.
    I want to make sure that people do not think that the vitamins come from natural foods put in the shake.
    Just powdered multivitamin

I have a grandpa that looks at cereals and looks for the ones with the most vitamins.
    He doesn't realize it's not from real foods.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried it once when a BB "coach" was trying to get me to buy some. Tasted okay but did nothing to satisfy my appetite and made me gassy as all hell. I found a formula on amazon (raw protein) that was a fraction of the price with almost an identical nutritional make up.

What really chaps my *kitten* is when these "coaches" ask people to join their challenges but then insist on buying their stupid overpriced shakes in order to participate. If you have to force people to buy your product, it's not that good.

Also? Posting daily pictures on facebook of you drinking your overpriced shake does nothing to make me want it. Stop it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    People claim it helps control their hunger but I am not sure how drinking calories can provide satiety over solid foods. Sounds like a placebo effect. :(

Same here. Shakes, amoothies, etc..just make me ravenous in about an hour or two. A bowl of oatmeal keeps me satiated all morning, though.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lezerlies wrote: »

Also? Posting daily pictures on facebook of you drinking your overpriced shake does nothing to make me want it. Stop it.

Ha Ha...I think the same thing, must be the promotion they are told to do.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Just did a quick comparison of what I use and shakeology. This is what I came up with:

Chocolate Shakeology (picked it cause the stuff I use is chocolate):
    $129.95 for 1260 grams
    42 grams a serving/30 servings per bag
    Macros and calories per 100 grams:
    381 calories (160 per serving)
    4.76 g Fat (2 per serving)
    40.46 g carb (17 per serving)
    40.46 g Protein (17 per serving)

Fitmiss Delight Complete Protein Chocolate
    $28.98 for 889.2 grams
    24.7 grams a serving/32 servings per container
    Macros/Calories per 100 grams:
    365 calories (90 per serving)
    6.07 g fat (1.5 g per serving)
    16.19 g carb (4 g per serving)
    64.76 g protein (16 g per serving)
    it has some micros as well, but not to the level of shakeology. Fitmiss also has a multi though which closes the micro nutrient gap. It's $18.87. That's $47.85 a month. $1.60 per serving
    I don't see the value in shakeology.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    lezerlies wrote: »

What really chaps my *kitten* is when these "coaches" ask people to join their challenges but then insist on buying their stupid overpriced shakes in order to participate. If you have to force people to buy your product, it's not that good.

Oh my gosh yes! I had to hide someone because I was so annoyed by the shake drinking pictures. She basically tried talking me into joining a fitness group and finally said yes even though I really wasn't all that interested. Then after I said yes she starts in with the "well you actually have to buy a shake package to join"... Um seriously? I didn't want to join the group anyway and now you say I have to pay? No thanks. Maybe if I was still fat I would've fallen for it (I like to think not) but I'm 85 lbs down and doing just fine.