Is walking on a incline building muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    At that incline, are you holding on to the treadmill? If you are, make sure you're not counting that calorie burn on the machine, as it's way more than you're actually burning.

Go at an incline where you can support yourself without holding on.

You aren't gaining muscle- You're likely just losing some of the fat over the top.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

it most certainly is a thing... it's a concept much like leaning out is a concept. While it's true that you can't tone up a muscle, you can most certainly tone up your body or your legs or similar.

This whole "there's no such thing as toning" nonsense that has taken foothold in MFP, while well intentioned, is a lot of *kitten*. If we can act like grown ups and try to be helpful rather than being a know-it-all, then we can certainly talk about progress and goals in terms of toning.

Well, yeah. But that's really just leaning out and building muscle, isn't it?

Exactly my point.

It's become trendy on MFP to run around talking about how toning isn't a thing, as if someone who wanted to tone up needs to come up with a new goal... and that's not the case at all. Toning is a thing, and most of us who are adults and can have conversations like adults know what a person means when they say they want to tone up or look more toned. Saying toning isn't a thing doesn't help anyone. Instead, explain that toning up is a function of both diet and exercise, and that both need to be on point to see results/progress.
  • Stefan_Bogdan
    Stefan_Bogdan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the gym and I spend most of my time in the cardio room. I spend 5 minutes warming up (resistance 5) on the bike then 25 minutes (resistance 8) on the elliptical trainer before walking on 15% incline (the highest) for 20 minutes. I know I'm doing something wrong because I want to tone not bulk and I'm gaining leg muscle! Can someone please help me!!

hello
    try starting to do squats. they will build the legs and the but that would make us wisle after you :P
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options

it most certainly is a thing... it's a concept much like leaning out is a concept. While it's true that you can't tone up a muscle, you can most certainly tone up your body or your legs or similar.

This whole "there's no such thing as toning" nonsense that has taken foothold in MFP, while well intentioned, is a lot of *kitten*. If we can act like grown ups and try to be helpful rather than being a know-it-all, then we can certainly talk about progress and goals in terms of toning.

Well, yeah. But that's really just leaning out and building muscle, isn't it?

Exactly my point.

It's become trendy on MFP to run around talking about how toning isn't a thing, as if someone who wanted to tone up needs to come up with a new goal... and that's not the case at all. Toning is a thing, and most of us who are adults and can have conversations like adults know what a person means when they say they want to tone up or look more toned. Saying toning isn't a thing doesn't help anyone. Instead, explain that toning up is a function of both diet and exercise, and that both need to be on point to see results/progress.

^well said, agree, and thank you^
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    @wilsoncl6 these are the two areas where I feel are gaining muscle! Will turning down the incline help?

Also, should I take away from this that the diet is the most likely to cause muscle gain?

Diet is not most likely to cause muscle gain. You have to progressively overload the muscle (resistance training) and be in a calorie surplus to build muscle OR have enough body fat that you can do a slight recomp--where you lose fat and build muscle while eating at maintenance or slight deficit.

There is nothing to fear about a slight muscle gain from the incline, its good for you:) You would have to keep raising the incline and keep eating more to gain more.