Carb count

Options
Hi everyone, I've been logging my food intake every day and today noticed when I logged a plain hamburger the fitness pal food diary added 30 grams of carbs. Can anyone tell me why? I'm trying very hard to keep the carb intake low and was shocked to see that. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    cause buns have carbs?
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A lot of burgers have breadcrumps in them, they are not plain meat. Onions are in them as well.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    A lot of burgers have breadcrumps in them, they are not plain meat. Onions are in them as well.

eww
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You're better off just logging the amount of beef you used for it. Most entries are user created and can be erroneous. I always log meat, bun, cheese, condiments separately.
  • tessbug1
    tessbug1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No bun and I bought the meat fresh at a store that grinds it on request. So I'm stumped :(. Just plain broiled burger with salt & pepper.
    Maybe I need to back and check other carb counts.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    tessbug1 wrote: »
    No bun and I bought the meat fresh at a store that grinds it on request. So I'm stumped :(. Just plain broiled burger with salt & pepper.

you used a crappy entry

find a better one
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    tessbug1 wrote: »

you used a crappy entry

find a better one

Exactly
  • tessbug1
    Options
    Thanks Rage & Malibu. I used just " hamburger" and size of serving - I have been adding extras separately
    Thanks again for your responses.
  • Rage_Phish
    edited March 2016
    Options
    search for the exact kind of ground meat

80/20 ground beef raw

93/7 ground beef raw

etc
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Agree just a bad entry....

If you did not have a bun with your hamburger, search for the % of lean vs fat and find preferably the USDA entry for it. I usually have 93% lean hamburger, it's always about the same calories per ounce regardless of brand or source or anything. So just weigh how much hamburger you had and log those ounces under "ground beef" based on the lean/fat percentage.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I just looked 80/20 ground beef up in the data base.
    Verified entry has zero carbs for 4 oz
  • tessbug1
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your time & responses- I'm just getting to know the database and did find - with your help the correct entry! Feeling much better about much less carbs for my daily intake. :smile:
    Have a great evening!