Am I trying to sabotage my success?

Options
I have lost 41 pounds in just twelve weeks, which is good. But now, I can't seem to stay under my calorie goal and I don't seem to be as committed as I was before. I think I need community support and some really great suggestions! I have 108 more pounds to go!

Replies

• DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would think your weight loss would be motivating enough... I'm sorry it isn't...
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Would you consider eating at maintenance for a week or two? I've found that when my willpower is not cooperating, sometimes that means I just need a little break. You won't gain at maintenance, and it's good practice for when you are no longer losing.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Wow...my first thought is that you are losing way too fast and your body can't keep up. Aim for a loss of about 2 lbs per week. Eat the calories that MFP says you should eat and look at this as a lifestyle - not a diet. You've got a long way to go and under eating now will make it that much harder to reach your goal!
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I know that sometimes it is a struggle, but you are working on a better you. Ask yourself why you are doing this. Ask yourself if you want to continue. Ask yourself if that extra food is going to help you with your goals. Some days...you may eat a little more. And that's fine. You just have to realize it is a long process that you have to keep dealing with.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I usually try to "meet" my calorie goal instead of trying to go"under". MFP allows for loss at your "met" calorie intake. Are you allowing yourself some treats? Are you daunted? Overwhelmed? Perhaps you should try setting mini goals? Mini goals can give you something to shoot for that may not seem so overwhelming?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    why not lower your MFP pounds per week to 1 or 1/2 for a while. it's possible you're not treating yourself, but it's also possible your body is telling you that you're losing too fast and it needs more food. at over 3 pounds per week of weight loss, you're draining your energy and probably losing a lot of muscle.

but you CAN do it! i suggest you just slow down a little, treat your body right and enjoy life as you go :)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you have yourself set to eat on a daily basis? Maybe it's too low.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @writerchickplus5 @itsbasschick makes good points that should be helpful. Finally at age 63 I realized I had to find a macro that cut out all of my cravings before cutting calories did more good than harm to my health. Best of success.
  • Hjaye7512
    Hjaye7512 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we get too comfortable when we lose weight and let old habits slip back in or we think it's safe to eat more than we are supposed to at least that was my issue before, but maybe try meeting your calorie intake one day at a time and not stay under, but also reevaluate your goals and remember WHY you started!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    khh1138 wrote: »
    Would you consider eating at maintenance for a week or two? I've found that when my willpower is not cooperating, sometimes that means I just need a little break. You won't gain at maintenance, and it's good practice for when you are no longer losing.

This would be my suggestion. Incorporating diet breaks is good for you both psychologically and physiologically. In the past I waited until I felt I needed one but now I program them in every 8 weeks.

Here are two articles about diet breaks:

* http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
    * http://strengthunbound.com/when-to-take-a-diet-break/
  • writerchickplus5
    writerchickplus5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! The support here has been FABULOUS! I feel better today and I am taking into consideration all of your wonderful ideas! Now, on with my weight loss journey!
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add... half of the weight loss journey is in the numbers, much of it is also in your head. My greatest success came from DBT which gave me coping skills other than overeating and/or obsessing about food.
  • writerchickplus5
    writerchickplus5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is DBT?