FITBIT

Options
CowgirlsRock24
CowgirlsRock24 Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, all!

I am looking to purchase a Fitbit but I'm having a tough time deciding which one I should get!
I am looking to track all my calories that I burn while doing weightlifting and cardio workouts such as Bootcamp and HIIT classes and hiking bike riding.. Etc Thank you!!

Replies

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    so the HRM from the charge hr, surge, and blaze are really only most effective on steady-state cardio, where you're putting out mostly the same level of effort and burning the same amount of calories from minute to minute. When you have significant intensity shifts, the accuracy falls off. It will work for HIIT, but maybe not as well as hiking and bike riding.

Do you have any models you're more or less interested in?

eta: I have a charge hr and love it. It's really accurate for me and lets me keep close tabs on my CICO. I eat to goal and consistently lose weight.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My favorite so far has been the flex. There is a Charge HR that tracks your heart rate too that you might be interested in for your cardio, but it isn't waterproof like the Flex. I think the Flex has been accurate tracking my calorie burn without the HR, but I'm new to the Charge HR so I'll try it out a little longer before I switch back.
  • CowgirlsRock24
    CowgirlsRock24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feed back!
    I know absolutely nothing about them except for the fact that people love them and they help tracking calories!
    I will have to check those that you recommend! Ha! Thanks a bunch! :)
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm biased because I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I love it. Tracks my calories, daily steps, any stairs I go up and down, and gives my my HR (relative, anyway) during exercise. HOWEVER .... If you don't care anything about HR for any other reason (like to just see it during the day or see your resting HR go down over time or something), then I'm going to go ahead and tell you that Charge HR may not be your best bet. The HRM function is good for treadmill, which is what I do for cardio, or any other steady cardio (so the interval functions on the treadmill would also give wacky HR readings). Your HIIT and boot camp aren't steady, so your HR readings might be all over and then some. It might be okay for your hikes though. I also like it for lifting, but it's pretty crazy even for that. For instance, between sets my heart rate will be elevated, and during sets my heart rate will be down (it's flipped, needs time to catch up).

The HR does have a mode that will track hikes and bike rides. I forgot what it's called but it's there. It uses the band and your phone's GPS. Surge also does it. Some of the others may also do this, but I'm not sure.

Something to note, Flex does not have an altimeter, so it will not track stairs climbed if you do a lot of that.

Other than that, your biggest battle is HRM or not. If you want some bells and whistles, take a look at the surge or blaze. If you want something pretty, take a look at the Alta.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and really like it a lot. It tracks everything I need it to (sleep, heart rate, steps, stairs, miles, daily calorie burn) and helps keep me motivated to move more.
    Hope you find one that works great for you too!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I started out with the flex and moved my way up to the fitbit charge hr. I prefer my fitbit charge hr the most because it offer a constant all day heart rate tracking, as well as all the other cool features like sleep tracking, steps, calories burned, steps taken, time and tracks floors. the alta which is newer doesn't have the heart rate option but has a better battery life, the surge has gps fancy tracking feature and costs about 100.00 more then the charge hr. so it really depends on what features your wanting and how much your wanting to spend. fitbit.com has a great comparison chart on their site to show you the features of each device.