Phil from MN, trying to avoid bariatric surgery

Howdy, I'm 55 years old, and after a lot of not being careful and not being particularly active, I am at 400 pounds. My doctor told me that I am getting towards the end of the window of opportunity for bariatric surgery, and I really don't want to go there. I lost someone close to a bungled surgery. But... I can't walk 10 minutes without getting winded. Buying clothes that fit has become a real challenge.
So, once again, I am off to slay the fat dragon. My last effort at this was 3 years ago, and I got down to 315 and just hit a wall. I tried for about 3 weeks to break through and despite my best efforts, the weight started coming back, and I just gave up.
Einstein once defined insanity as doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. So, this time around, I am armed with this website, a Garmin Vivofit, and new determination. If I can't break through this time, it's surgery time, along with the associated risks, costs, and downtime.

that's my story, and I'm stuck with it.

~Phil

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Hi Phil. You don't have to exercise in order to lose weight so maybe you could just start out eating better and cutting back on portion sizes. I measure and weigh everything I eat and I eat as close to one ingredient foods as I can. So lots of veggies and protein and fish. Then once you get your weight down a little you could start doing more exercise. You can do it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    edited March 2016
    Good for you. I'll bet if you were to walk for five minutes three times a day by next week you'd be walking ten minutes three times a day.

Weight loss and fitness builds on itself. The more you do it, the better you get at it. It's a learning process on the food side, and an endurance training on the exercise side. I was amazed at the amount of progress I was able to make once I committed to the process. It happens quickly!

I think if it were me, I'd delve deeply into the "why" of why you quit the last time around. The only way to fail is to give up.

• thekiakid
    thekiakid Posts: 19 Member
    It's a daily struggle. What's working for me so far is logging everything I eat best I can, and keep as active as I can.
  • shellscriptr
    shellscriptr Posts: 34 Member
    So, once again, I am off to slay the fat dragon.

~Phil

Ahaha- I know that song!
    Have you ever talked to a therapist about the overeating? I know for me it's to avoid feeling anxious. For a few delicious minutes I'm focused on a 'treat' and not my worries. I'm only a week in- but this app gives me something to take my mind off stressful things instead of snacking- which is awesome!
    Best of luck! I know you're gonna do it!!!