Very low calories

Options
Hello
I have started doing 1200 calories a day and i workout everyday except saturday i burn between 500-800 calories daily i lost one and a half pound so far in 3 weeks. I have started to eat less n feel guilty when i go over 500 calories and now i feel depressed because i am not lossing any weight. Any tips advices or sugestions? :(

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Consult your physician.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Speak to a professional. You're heading down a dangerous path.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Your current weight is only 103?
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are eating far too little and your body is likely going into starvation mode. You are only netting 700 calories by eating 1200 calories and burning 500. That isn't enough food for your body to function. Eat back the calories you burn with exercise.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1 1/2 lbs in three weeks is a great loss. I do weight watchers and their recommended amount to lose is .5-2 lbs per month. Hang in there! Whatever you are doing sounds like it's working.

But you do need to be eating more calories back if you are burning off that much. I can't imagine burning off that much per day. What type of exercising are you doing?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Your current weight is only 103?

Is there a post missing? I don't see that she said she weighs 103 lbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut back on workouts - more is not better. You are only burning half what you think. readjust calories and lower carbs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you are feeling low because you are eating too little, or your logging is off (hopefully) so you are eating more than you think (and more in line with what you should be eating). Weigh everything you eat, and hit your calorie goal every day. That is what you have to do to lose weight. You are also losing at a good rate. If you still want to try to eat less than your goal, after you have learnt that you shouldn't, and don't have to, please talk to your doctor about this.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    laurelh8 wrote: »
    You are eating far too little and your body is likely going into starvation mode. You are only netting 700 calories by eating 1200 calories and burning 500. That isn't enough food for your body to function. Eat back the calories you burn with exercise.

Starvation mode as it's commonly referred to here (the body is holding on to stored fat) is a myth. However, your body is probably actually lacking in vital nutrients, and that is dangerous. Please seek help, OP.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    1 1/2 lbs in three weeks is a great loss. I do weight watchers and their recommended amount to lose is .5-2 lbs per month. Hang in there! Whatever you are doing sounds like it's working.

But you do need to be eating more calories back if you are burning off that much. I can't imagine burning off that much per day. What type of exercising are you doing?

The OP says they're feeling guilt anytime they go over 500 calories. That's not something they should have to "hang in there" with. There is help available and recommending that someone stick it out with such a low calorie level while their guilt is impacting their life is flat out dangerous.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You are eating WAY too few calories especially if you are burning 500-800 calories and not eating some of those back. You definitely do not want your body to go into "hibernation mode" to where it hangs onto what calories/fat that you have. You might want to consult a physician or add more calories to your diet.
  • tuqahasan
    tuqahasan Posts: 7 Member
    Options

The OP says they're feeling guilt anytime they go over 500 calories. That's not something they should have to "hang in there" with. There is help available and recommending that someone stick it out with such a low calorie level while their guilt is impacting their life is flat out dangerous.

• tuqahasan
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your fast replies it seems to be i am having Anorexia Nervosa (AN) i always thought being under my calories is better but thanks to you all you have pointed it out that it is for sure wrong i will start eating more calories for sure thanks a lot :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you really do have anorexia, then you need more than to up your calories. You need someone to look into the mental and emotional aspect of why you're restricting that low and afraid to eat more.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Why are you at a 1200 calorie setting? As others have mentioned, please get some help. Yes, 1200 is the MINIMUM for some women, but losing weight is not about eating as little as possible to survive, it's about eating as much as you can while still losing weight. Don't deprive yourself of nutrients and well, food. If you feel guilty going over 500, I don't know if anything anyone here says will help you. But I can try by saying, think of 1200 as the absolute minimum and look at your settings on MFP. What do you weigh and what are your weight loss goals?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't just catch Anorexia Nervosa like the common cold. It has to be diagnosed by professionals. But also treated by professionals. Lots of people report feelings of "guilt" for eating, even if they hardly are eating, and lots of people think they must starve themselves to lose weight. There are also occasionally trolls. Which one is this?
  • tuqahasan
    Options
    You don't just catch Anorexia Nervosa like the common cold. It has to be diagnosed by professionals. But also treated by professionals. Lots of people report feelings of "guilt" for eating, even if they hardly are eating, and lots of people think they must starve themselves to lose weight. There are also occasionally trolls. Which one is this?

I read about Anorexia Nervosa and it seems to be more likely to be something i am having i have already started to eat and yes i do feel guilty but not as bad as before
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tuqahasan wrote: »

I read about Anorexia Nervosa and it seems to be more likely to be something i am having i have already started to eat and yes i do feel guilty but not as bad as before

Then you need professional help and treatment.
  • DeborahSolomon75
    DeborahSolomon75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Found this thread interesting. I haven't trained properly for a couple of years and just getting back into again. I used to train 3 times per week (strength) and prob 2 times per week HIT and ate 2000 calories and weighed 8 stone (I'm 5ft 2ins) .... 2 years on I'm now almost 41 and until a few months ago weighed in at 9 1/2stone Anyway.... I started back at the gym as much as I could with a Toddler and initially was just eating clean without counting calories and having 1 cheat day per week and did loose a stone...then the festive period kicked in and I piled it all back on and 2 months ago was at my heaviest of 10 stone and completely gutted! Now I'm on my mission again - got the little one in nursery so hitting the gym most days and trying out the keto diet plus calorie counting at 1200 calories - in the past couple of months I've lost almost a stone again! ...I was going to carry on like this until I reach my initial target of 8 1/2 stone then prob just go back to my whole clean eating thing again as I know I'm unlikely to sustain this diet forever. The point is that at the moment it's working! I carb load at weekends and cheat for 1 day and then it's back to the diet. What do you guys think? I don't want to Plato and get my body into starvation mode.