Not Feeling Motivated Anymore

Options
A few months ago I was excited to lose weight and I was doing well for those few months and did happen to lose about 8-10lbs. As of lately I just havent been into it as much. Its fustrating looking for things to eat Im always running out of ideas and im not much of a big cooker. I went from working out about 4x a week to only once a week. Would appreciate some positive feedback from ppl this has always happened to and how did you get back into it.

Replies

• Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within. YOU have to want it and I mean want it seriously. There will be lots of reasons (excuses everyday for everything. Trust me!!! I've used them all. Breaking a bad habit takes time. You gotta overcome one day, one meal, one workout at a time. Don't lose sight of the goal by looking at EVERY obstacle.

So tell yourself this...."If you really want it, YOU will find a way. If you don't, you will find EVERY excuse!"
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    fake it till you make it....
    Seriously... not many people feel like working out, but we do it because we like it afterwards.... we like the result. It takes at least a month of focusing on a new action for it to become a habit.... so make a deal with yourself that you will focus on this for one month, everyday, and then see what happens.
    Then, once you are comfortable with working out more, focus on making healthier habits for eating.
  • Inspiredtobe
    Inspiredtobe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't quit now! Think about how far you've gotten. I mean losing 8-10lbs is a huge success right there! It may not be much to you, but just remember the times when you wish you could of dropped at least 5 or 10 pounds. Look at where you are now, you did it! Think about why you've started this diet and why you are doing this for you. You want to get to that body you've always wanted, right? you want to step onto that weight scale and see the numbers you dreamed of seeing, right? So don't ever give up! If you ever need recipes, just post on the message boards asking for some recipes. MFP has a bunch of friendly people and I'm pretty sure they won't mind sharing some recipes with you. I believe in you so don't give up! You've come this far, so keep going. (:

Stay healthy!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    What is that alternative. It is to head back into an unhealthy lifestyle which leads to an early death. You have to be your own motivation, and surround yourself with a core group of MFPers who are like minded. If this lifestyle was easy, there would be no reason for MFP, but it isn't . Excuses are very easy to come by my friend, all you have to do is make up one. Reasons on the other hand cannot be made up. Unless you have a REASON to stop doing this...i.e., DEATH of self is the only one I can think of...I encourage you to stay in the fight. It ain't over until YOU say it is, and I don't think you want to go down as a quitter.

Be Strong and hang in there.

Always,
    E.
  • MsLaurie65
    MsLaurie65 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I literally roll out the bed and get dressed and go to the community center and work out. When I go, there is usually a lot of elderly people working out, that alone keeps me going. I look at them and say if they can do it every morning 4 days a week what's my excuse. Now when the young folks (50 and under) come in I am wrapping everything up and leaving, I am not competing with those people...:ohwell: Just like people say you have to keep motivating yourself, because if you depend on others sometimes you could be in for a let down. Find what works for you and keep it in your focus and you will do fine!!!
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    if you dont carry on now you will look back in a year or two's time and kick yourself, you have started and done well, pick yourslef up and carry on!! go for it!
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Please don't quit. You have a job to inspire me and others here to not quit down the road when we get to that point - which we all do.

Give yourself very small goals. You may want to continue at a rate of loss like you started with, but it's just not possible. Have MFP aim for 2lbs per week, and do your best, but don't EXPECT 2 pounds per week. Just like how real life is never how it is in the movies, just how prince charming is never really perfect, expectations get us into trouble while losing weight, too. If you keep your expectations low, you will always be pleasantly surprised and it will take a lot more to discourage you.

Why are you trying to lose weight? For you? For a special event? For a certain outfit? Find a goal...whether you're like me and have a wedding to plan or whether you're like others and just want to fit into the clothes they used to wear. Find a goal and give yourself a chance to be reminded of that goal. (I have the wedding to look forward to, and I also love the saying that "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Find a buddy in real life. A friend, a coworker, a family member who you can obsess with. This person needs to at least show support and interest in your journey, and it would help if they are also interested in losing a few pounds themselves. Helping others and leading by example is probably the best way to stay motivated.

I avoid bagels, cookies and other temptations by sitting here and replying to forums whenever I get a craving....
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Motivation is that elusive feeing that is essential to successfully reaching your goals. One day you have it and another day you don't. I have been struggling with this myself for years. The poster who wrote "Fake it till you make it" wasn't far off. But then, it begs the question, how do you fake it?

I think keeping your motivation strong (and consequently your progress) is based upon three principles, focus, control and planning. You don't get control right off the bat. That comes with reaching successful milestones. Usually something will trigger that initial motivation. Perhaps you went on a plane ride and couldn't fit in the seat. Perhaps you saw a photograph of yourself and didn't recognize the person. Perhaps someone said something hurtful. If you concentrate, it's not hard to find initial motivation. That start needs to be "kindled" just like a fire.

This is where planning and focus come in. In my mind, the idea of "focus" is to be consumed with your goal, thinking about it, researching it, educating yourself and not letting your mind wander off. Think about every little success and NSV. Become self-absorbed. "Planning" is the secret to staying successful. Once you are confidently focused, you must plan out the details. Plan your meals, plan your exercise, plan your shopping trips, plan your time out with friends. Plan ahead and stick with it.

So for now, don't worry too much about the eating (but don't give yourself license to go crazy either). Spend some time focusing on yourself. Get a good book (self-help, dieting, nutrition, whatever), find some inspiration and think about what would motivate you for the moment. What works one week oftentimes won't work the next. That's where focus and planning help steer you the right direction.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. The hard work will pay off at the end :)
  • egreene718
    egreene718 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks everyone i really appreciate it