pbee89
pbee89 Posts: 83 Member
i9avg3aalvk9.png

I need to get back on it

Replies

• Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place to get back on track!
  • pbee89
    pbee89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Haha. Thanks !
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    just don't use BMI...problem solved. In all seriousness, it's about the least useful health metric that you can use even if it is what's used by insurance companies. Go by body fat % and the mirror.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    just don't use BMI...problem solved. In all seriousness, it's about the least useful health metric that you can use even if it is what's used by insurance companies. Go by body fat % and the mirror.

If someone is in the obese range on bmi the bodyfat % and mirror will give the same answer unless the person is a high level athlete.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    @Packerjohn I'm obese in my avatar...BMI is not a measure of health! It's also less accurate for taller people.

BMI is a screening mechanism for insurance companies and was never meant to be used as a measure of health. If you measure "obese" according to BMI there is a good chance that you are in fact too heavy health wise, but not 100%. If you're overweight but active, there is even less chance that BMI correlates to your health. Likewise, you can be in the "healthy/normal" BMI range and have an unhealthy amount of body fat (known as being skinny fat)that translates to poorer health.

Just saying there are MUCH better ways to measure where you should be.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    @Packerjohn I'm obese in my avatar...BMI is not a measure of health! It's also less accurate for taller people.

BMI is a screening mechanism for insurance companies and was never meant to be used as a measure of health. If you measure "obese" according to BMI there is a good chance that you are in fact too heavy health wise, but not 100%. If you're overweight but active, there is even less chance that BMI correlates to your health. Likewise, you can be in the "healthy/normal" BMI range and have an unhealthy amount of body fat (known as being skinny fat)that translates to poorer health.

oh wow, that is amazing. I can see why you said that now.
    i was obsessed with bmi when i started out but now i have switched to using the mirror.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

In your avatar, you clearly have significant muscle volume, which does not happen accidentally. BMI is not accurate for people who are bodybuilding. Plus, this is a back photo and you are a guy. It could be you carry a lot of weight in the belly.
    In any case, there is no indication OP is a bodybuilder. For the average person, BMI in the obese category is a very good indication they need to change their lifestyle.
  • McCloud33
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

In your avatar, you clearly have significant muscle volume, which does not happen accidentally. BMI is not accurate for people who are bodybuilding. Plus, this is a back photo and you are a guy. It could be you carry a lot of weight in the belly.
    In any case, there is no indication OP is a bodybuilder. For the average person, BMI in the obese category is a very good indication they need to change their lifestyle.
    I'm not by any means a body builder...you wouldn't see me even in a t-shirt and say "that guys definitely lifts weights". My avatar picture was taken after only 4-5months of touching weights for the first time in my life and less than a year from ACTUALLY being obese at 235lbs. I was a soccer player in HS and ran, but that was it...no weights until I was 32. This was me at my skinniest, after losing weight down to 168 and still in the "overweight" category.
    0kdvdoheblod.jpg

I stand by my original statement that there are much better ways of measuring your health than a bogus insurance metric that was only ever supposed to be used when comparing WHOLE POPULATIONS and the person who came up with it said that it should NEVER be used for individual health assessment.

I agreed that if you're in the obese category that you probably are obese, but that there are better ways to determine that is all. Doctors use BMI (IMO) because it's easy. All you have to do is height and weight. I could go take a big crap and change my BMI.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I'm not by any means a body builder...you wouldn't see me even in a t-shirt and say "that guys definitely lifts weights". My avatar picture was taken after only 4-5months of touching weights for the first time in my life and less than a year from ACTUALLY being obese at 235lbs. I was a soccer player in HS and ran, but that was it...no weights until I was 32. This was me at my skinniest, after losing weight down to 168 and still in the "overweight" category.
    0kdvdoheblod.jpg

I stand by my original statement that there are much better ways of measuring your health than a bogus insurance metric that was only ever supposed to be used when comparing WHOLE POPULATIONS and the person who came up with it said that it should NEVER be used for individual health assessment.

I agreed that if you're in the obese category that you probably are obese, but that there are better ways to determine that is all. Doctors use BMI (IMO) because it's easy. All you have to do is height and weight. I could go take a big crap and change my BMI.

Without a doubt there are better ways of measuring health. However bmi is a pretty effective screening tool for 80% or so of the population when it comes to weight related metrics
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Without a doubt there are better ways of measuring health. However bmi is a pretty effective screening tool for 80% or so of the population when it comes to weight related metrics

I used BMI to set my initial weight loss goal. I haven't been in a healthy range for 10+ years. Once I get down there I may need to adjust my goals based on how I look and feel. But for now, my BMI says I am obese and I agree. I feel obese. On the contrary, I think I don't look obese (only overweight) to others because where I hold my weight is less obvious clothed. But I think it's plenty enough accurate for me, and most non-weight lifters.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BMI is a rubbish stat because it does not accurately account for muscle mass. I am about 15% body fat right now - still cutting from last bulk - and my BMI is "overweight"....
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    BMI is a SCREEN. Like a cancer screen. That means it must catch ALL the at risk people, and some of the not-at-risk people.

Can you think of anyone who is BELOW normal on the BMI chart who actually has a fat/weight problem? No. So right off the bat, you can with 99.99% certainty eliminate those skinny people from further tests. That test could be as simple as the doctor looking at you, going "Nope, not fat" and now you go join the same group of skinny people.

BMI doesn't tell you who certainly is fat. It tells you who is certainly NOT fat, and those who MIGHT be fat.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    BMI is a SCREEN. Like a cancer screen. That means it must catch ALL the at risk people, and some of the not-at-risk people.

Can you think of anyone who is BELOW normal on the BMI chart who actually has a fat/weight problem? No. So right off the bat, you can with 99.99% certainty eliminate those skinny people from further tests. That test could be as simple as the doctor looking at you, going "Nope, not fat" and now you go join the same group of skinny people.

BMI doesn't tell you who certainly is fat. It tells you who is certainly NOT fat, and those who MIGHT be fat.

It's decent for 80% or so of the population. If you lift on a regular basis it may not be a reasonable indicator. However less than 20 % of the population lifts on a regular basis.
  • MaquisJim
    MaquisJim Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Abbie918 wrote: »
    You're in the right place to get back on track!

Agreed!
  • Packerjohn
    Options

It's decent for 80% or so of the population. If you lift on a regular basis it may not be a reasonable indicator. However less than 20 % of the population lifts on a regular basis.

Sorry meant to respond to @ndj1979 post. Phone operator error.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only thing I use my BMI for is to set myself smaller goals. I've got 5lb to loose and then I'm only overweight and no longer obese.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

The 20% of the population (muscular individuals) that the BMI scale does not work for spend 80% of their time complaining about the accuracy of the index.

The 80% of the obese individuals that the BMI index does work for find a great deal.of comfort with all the good news that they are not overweight at all - they simply have large muscles.

And 20% accept that they may in fact be obese despite all the complaints of the short comings of the BMI index.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    ...and 78% of statistics are made up on the spot...
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    There are always outliers, but let's be real, most people that are classified as obese are not the next Dwayne Johnson. They are just plain too fat.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

0kdvdoheblod.jpg

Are you obese or overweight per the BMI. You look fine, but you don't look huge (e.g., the Rock).

Men who weight lift are more likely than women to be overweight per BMI but have an acceptable bodyfat.

Women are much less likely than men to be in the overweight BMI category and not be fat. We can have a BMI on the high side and be healthy, but most women are still likely to be over-fat even in the high end of a healthy BMI range.

My BMI hovers around 24. I definitely feel fat when it gets above 25.