2»

Replies

• TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    tw807278 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Enter your stats into MFP and tell it you want to lose 2 lb/wk. it will tell you NET CALORIES to eat to spare muscle. That assumes no exercise. When you exercise, you estimate calories burned (easy to overestimate so search advice on this), and eat additional calories to reach NET CALORIES. Buy a $15 food scale and weigh everything you eat, even prepackaged individual servings. If time is a concern, be as accurate as you can right from the start. You will lose fat. It may be a steady rate, but it might seem to stay the same for 3weeks, then -whoosh- 3 weeks worth of loss in 1-2 days. Don't freak. It's normal. Just stick with it and be consistent.

Don't worry about IF or processed foods or avoiding particular foods. Have a beer now and then. Just count it all.

ETA: and read the stickies. They really are helpful.

Thank you so much for all your help! I am in the gym 6 days a week and always working out with heavy weights. Is it possible that I could still keep some lean body mass and lose fat if I continue to eat 1500 calories? Or do I need to increase my calories? I'm just worried if I increase my calories, I will gain fat along with muscle, and not be where i want.

Most guys i know, especially when in the gym 6 days a week, need more calories than 1500. I have a desk job, am 5'11, 175lbs and exercise 5 to 6 hours a week and maintain at 3000 calories and set up my cuts around 2400.

My main concern is just to lose fat. I've been big my whole life, and now just want to be able to enjoy the beach and summer time. That's why I'm currently not too concerned about losing muscle. Im hoping to lose all my fat, then learn how to add on more mass once I get to the point where I don't have a lot of stomach fat.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    So what happens after 8 weeks? More than likely go on vacation forget this whole crash diet thing eat and eat and eat wake up one day and be heavier than you were before. The main issue has to do with genetics though. Since you can't spot reduce you'll lose weight trying to do what you are doing but it may not come off from where you want it to. It may start from your arms or legs or back. Eat lean and clean as much as possible, veggies fruits, proteins and lift
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are unlikely to lose the amount of stomach fat that you sound like you want to lose within the next 8 weeks. Definitely aim at a reasonable calorie deficit but just prepare yourself for that eventuality.

Sacrificing more than necessary lean mass in order to get rid of fat faster is unhealthy, careless, and will not give you the results you hope for.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Enter your stats into MFP and tell it you want to lose 2 lb/wk. it will tell you NET CALORIES to eat to spare muscle. That assumes no exercise. When you exercise, you estimate calories burned (easy to overestimate so search advice on this), and eat additional calories to reach NET CALORIES. Buy a $15 food scale and weigh everything you eat, even prepackaged individual servings. If time is a concern, be as accurate as you can right from the start. You will lose fat. It may be a steady rate, but it might seem to stay the same for 3weeks, then -whoosh- 3 weeks worth of loss in 1-2 days. Don't freak. It's normal. Just stick with it and be consistent.

Don't worry about IF or processed foods or avoiding particular foods. Have a beer now and then. Just count it all.

Thank you so much for all your help! I am in the gym 6 days a week and always working out with heavy weights. Is it possible that I could still keep some lean body mass and lose fat if I continue to eat 1500 calories? Or do I need to increase my calories? I'm just worried if I increase my calories, I will gain fat along with muscle, and not be where i want.

Most guys i know, especially when in the gym 6 days a week, need more calories than 1500. I have a desk job, am 5'11, 175lbs and exercise 5 to 6 hours a week and maintain at 3000 calories and set up my cuts around 2400.

My main concern is just to lose fat. I've been big my whole life, and now just want to be able to enjoy the beach and summer time. That's why I'm currently not too concerned about losing muscle. Im hoping to lose all my fat, then learn how to add on more mass once I get to the point where I don't have a lot of stomach fat.

As an aside, when you lose muscle, it means you arent losing all fat. And since muscle is lean, you would turn out to ve a smaller fabby version of yourself. You will increase body fat % decreases when you maintain muscle.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    So what happens after 8 weeks? More than likely go on vacation forget this whole crash diet thing eat and eat and eat wake up one day and be heavier than you were before. The main issue has to do with genetics though. Since you can't spot reduce you'll lose weight trying to do what you are doing but it may not come off from where you want it to. It may start from your arms or legs or back. Eat lean and clean as much as possible, veggies fruits, proteins and lift

I've been eating clean for over 4 months, and will continue you it after and during the vacation. I just want to ramp it up these next 8 weeks to get better results.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

As an aside, when you lose muscle, it means you arent losing all fat. And since muscle is lean, you would turn out to ve a smaller fabby version of yourself. You will increase body fat % decreases when you maintain muscle.

Is a ketogenic diet good do you believe?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you can't lose fat that fast. you are going to lose lots of muscle, which means you'll burn even less calories in the future.

if there was a miracle way for people to lose fat more quickly and safely, don't you think everyone on this board would be at their goal weight instead of struggling to figure out how to cut calories?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I've been eating clean for over 4 months, and will continue you it after and during the vacation. I just want to ramp it up these next 8 weeks to get better results.

What people have been trying to explain, and you've been ignoring, is that you won't get better results with the goals you're describing. Eight weeks of it may not be enough to give you serious side effects, but you are likely to be disappointed by the results. You need to reasses your goals and the best way to reach them.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

What people have been trying to explain, and you've been ignoring, is that you won't get better results with the goals you're describing. Eight weeks of it may not be enough to give you serious side effects, but you are likely to be disappointed by the results. You need to reasses your goals and the best way to reach them.

What do you recommend I do?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

What do you recommend I do?

Just start a solid fitness journey and hope for great results as you go.

Also, keto is an effective lifestyle if you can do very low carb and are ok with very restrictive diets. It wont burn body fat any faster. The first couple weeks you will deplete glycogen/water but you also cant workout until you are adapted. Some get the keto flu, some dont.

I would never do low carb personally because my exercise takes a negative beating. But some do well.
  • Mandingo15
    Mandingo15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just lost 24 in that same time period. I leave for Aruba this upcoming Wednesday. How hard is it? Better question is how bad do you want it. Let me know if u want to go the same route. Lots of walking and eating right.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    Mandingo15 wrote: »
    I just lost 24 in that same time period. I leave for Aruba this upcoming Wednesday. How hard is it? Better question is how bad do you want it. Let me know if u want to go the same route. Lots of walking and eating right.

I want it more than anything and am willing to do whatever it takes. I'm up all night constantly doing research on how I can achieve this feat and better myself.