Options
2»

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This is the kind of stuff that makes newbies and the less-fit-but-working-hard-at-it doubt themselves.

It's only really measuring one aspect of 'fitness' (strength, as opposed to speed, endurance, flexibility, or any other skills people may want to develop), and being 'fit' is such a subjective term - fit for what? Fit compared to whom?
    For someone in the process of getting 'fit', it's only worth worrying about whether you are more fit than you were before and whether you are moving closer to your own 'fitness' goal (whether that's swimming the Channel, squatting twice your bodyweight, or being able to walk your dog for an hour without becoming exhausted).
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    1) yes, I can bench 5x170 and I weigh 168
    2) theoretically, but no. I only have 300lb of weights at the moment and I did 290x6 the other night which is a predicted 1RM of 337 (1lb more than 2x my weight)
    3) probably, haven't tried

For a guy, those weight ranges aren't all that unrealistic within a year of so of training if you cut the fat. In terms of strength standards (for weight lifters), the bench press falls between the novice and intermediate range, and the deadlift falls between the intermediate and advanced range, so deadlift may be a little too aggressive for reasonable shape.

For women those multiples fall between advanced and elite so it would definitely take more dedication to reach those same multiples. A more realistic level for reasonable shape might be 0.7x bench and 1.4x deadlift.

With that said, if someone puts up a chart that says I have to run a 5k in 29 minutes (average time for a 33.6 year old male) to be in reasonable shape then I fail as I only run ~6 miles/hr which would give me a time of ~31 minutes. While I'm working on it, it wasn't a priority in my training over the last year.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    What arbitrary rubbish!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This is the kind of stuff that makes newbies and the less-fit-but-working-hard-at-it doubt themselves.

It's only really measuring one aspect of 'fitness' (strength, as opposed to speed, endurance, flexibility, or any other skills people may want to develop), and being 'fit' is such a subjective term - fit for what? Fit compared to whom?
    For someone in the process of getting 'fit', it's only worth worrying about whether you are more fit than you were before and whether you are moving closer to your own 'fitness' goal (whether that's swimming the Channel, squatting twice your bodyweight, or being able to walk your dog for an hour without becoming exhausted).

Great answer.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My overarching goal is to improve my functional fitness level to enjoy a high quality of life with emphasis on mind-body connection. I have 0 interest in comparing myself to someone else's standards or against other people as long as I continue to see measurable performance improvements for example by beating my own PRs I'm happy. I train for strength, agility, speed, balance/stability, acceleration/deceleration, quick change of direction, power, flexibility.

To respond to the original 'fit' question I chest press using dumbbells on a stability ball at 0.75 BW for 3 reps with no idea of what weight I'd bench press using a barbell as I've never tried it. I deadlift @1.9 times BW for 3 reps & can very easily hold a 2 min. Plank. More importantly to me though is to possess the necessary level of fitness that allows me to recover quickly if I slip, run, stop & change direction, carry/lift/push/pull heavy loads &learn new skills.