2016 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just read the posts here and decided that if someone could use my help, I would be glad to act as a mentor.

I'm a 58 yr old guy who struggled for many years to balance a demanding job with an active family life. During my adult life, my weight increased over time until I was significantly over weight. After many failed attempts, at 54 years old I finally succeeded in losing about 45lbs with the help of a trainer. Most important for me was changing my lifestyle and becoming very active. Over the last 5 years, I've become focused on running and triathlon as my fitness improved. Last year, I competed in 4 triathlons and 2 half marathon distance races, including my first Half Iron distance race, the Timberman 70.3 held in August. This year's goal is to do that race again, only faster. Dropping a bit more weight will help me reach this year's time goals.

Several factors would make me a good mentor: 1) I'm a communicator. (I won't write something or pat you on the back every 10 minutes, but I will try to provide insight, support, or electro shock therapy, depending on what I think you need at the moment). 2) I am an active learner when it comes to things I enjoy, such as running, triathlon and food. 3) I will be invested if you are. I'm still learning myself, so I would benefit from a relationship where someone is counting on my help and also questioning me from time to time. In fact, I would expect that a mentoring relationship with a new MFP member would also help me to stay focused on my goals.

So, if interested, please let me know.
  • breeseyb
    breeseyb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello, fairly new here and I thought the idea of a mentor sounded interesting. I've done this for a few weeks with not much success. I tend to just put what I eat and then...well I see that I ate bad lol. I thought maybe some accountability from someone out there might help then I saw this mentoring thread.

I'm 27, 6'0", 285ish. Really couldn't care less about the weight, I would just like to get healthier and start changing my habits from mostly indoor to mostly outdoor. Obviously most of this healthier lifestyle starts with what you're eating so here I am. Any help, always appreciated.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    breeseyb wrote: »
    Hello, fairly new here and I thought the idea of a mentor sounded interesting. I've done this for a few weeks with not much success. I tend to just put what I eat and then...well I see that I ate bad lol. I thought maybe some accountability from someone out there might help then I saw this mentoring thread.

I'm 27, 6'0", 285ish. Really couldn't care less about the weight, I would just like to get healthier and start changing my habits from mostly indoor to mostly outdoor. Obviously most of this healthier lifestyle starts with what you're eating so here I am. Any help, always appreciated.

reply sent.
  • CinqueFit
    CinqueFit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Aloha All! I am looking for a mentor! I'm not sure if everyone is already busy mentoring other people, but so could use some help.

I am 5'6" and 196 lbs. I am 37 years old and I cannot believe how heavy I've gotten. I never thought I'd let things get out of control, but I guess it happens. I love to workout so exercising isn't the problem. I'm just a picky eater and Inlove sweets. I do try to meal prep, but I eventually get bored with my food. I try to remind myself that it's good for my body, but nevertheless, here I am.

I'd appreciate any help from anyone. Look forward to hearing from you
  • Djproulx
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »

Don't mean to sound like a Drill Instructor, but if you are truly interested in getting in shape and are invested in obtaining your goals, at the very least you need to have your basic info on your profile filled out.

About Me:
    I haven't filled this out yet.

Why I want to get in shape:

My Inspirations:

If you want people to help you and to take you serious about this, then you have to put forth the effort to show us you are devoted to this goal.

I couldn't agree more! Although I've found my mentees for now, I continue to watch this thread to see if there might be someone else I could effectively mentor. I'm looking for people who in my assessment have what it takes to be successful. There are willing to take a set of actions day in and day out that are essential to losing weight (such as logging into MFP every day and logging their food intake using a digital scale). They may need some guidance and support to be successful, but they aren't looking for a mentor to "motivate" them. They know that motivation comes from within. They are determined to succeed and are in a place in their lives right now where they can devote the time and energy needed to lose weight.

If you are serious about losing weight, filing out your MFP profile, writing a descriptive request for a mentor as BiafraGirl11 has done (excellent!), and taking the time to go to the mentor's MFP profile page to learn something about them is a great place to start. You are asking a total stranger to help you. I think you can shift the odds of that happening in your favor by taking these foundational steps.

I echo these thoughts. I could take on another mentee if I believed the person was serious about putting forth the long term effort to succeed and that my experience may help them get there.
  • Oversyte
    Oversyte Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I finally created a workout routine AND diet plan that works for me and I would feel blessed to have the opportunity to impart the wisdom I have to anyone who is willing to put in the work.

I currently have a 52 day streak log with MFP, though this is my first day among the MFP community. I've lost about 20lbs in a month on the scale and 5% in body fat. If you accept my mentorship, understand this; fitness is NOT the focus of my life, but it has a BIG role in it.

I am a U.S. Marine and have been for over 8 years. I have been a mentor to countless new Marines for 6 of those years. I've worked with Marines with different body types, needs, goals, and diet plans.

As your mentor, I will discern what works best for you with the information you provide me or guide you in the right direction. Possibly even to someone I know can help you better. I realize there may be a difference with climate and how it may factor into your health. I live in Hawaii. It would be ideal for me to work with someone with similar a similar environment as I do.

I am able to accept 3 mentees. You will be my first squad in this form of mentorship. If you change your mind, I understand, it is your health we're talking about and I'll support you in any way I can. I'm not able to make any promises yet, except that I will not give up on you.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I would love to mentor one person if they are the right fit!

My name is James, I am a very positive happy person. I am 29 and finally found a lifestyle through my years of training/dieting that suits me and I am so healthy and happy, I want to spread this to someone else.

I love the sport of bodybuilding, I love nutrition, I love healthy eating and I love knowing what is in our foods! I eat raw foods 75% of my intake as raw in my opinion is the cleanest variation of food!

I work in a health food shop as Manager, in my opinion it is the most successful and well known in the North of England. So nutrition knowledge is vital and I get the experience of working with all whole natural organic foods and products!!

Drop me a PM if you would like to be taken under my wings, I am on MFP everyday and I make a point of liking and commenting on all my wonderful friends statuses an updates!

Have a wonderful day beautiful people!
  • Twigletine
    Twigletine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I am new to the site, and would appreciate a mentor, am a real noob and no idea where to start......am a 53 yr old female, started out with over 100lbs to lose, and have made a small dent in that over the past year to the tune of 32lbs doing weightwatchers, but still got a way to go, and can no longer afford to pay for classes, so am looking forward to the new challenge of counting calories on here......am not currently very active, and suffer from fibromyalgia, but am sure losing weight and getting fitter would help me to cope with this better......taking my first step posting on here, looking forward to making friends on my journey!
  • mightymonarchos
    mightymonarchos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm looking for a mentor.
    I am 30yo female looking to change my lifestyle to being a little bit healthier. I am 5'3 and 132lbs. I'd like to lose 5-10 lbs and just in general be more in shape. I'm starting MFP really for the first time now. I have a dog who I love to go on walks with. I just signed up to take some gym classes. I'm more of a group-class kind of person than a workout-alone kind of person. I think my main problem is that I don't track what I eat and therefore don't really know where I stand. I have the motivation, I just need some guidance. PM me if you are interested!
  • cjmom73
    cjmom73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking for support. Lost 120 in 2015. Motivationally slscking :(
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am happy to help. I am 33 years old and I live in Cape Town. I have logged in every single day for 119 days straight. Walking is my favourite form of exercise. I also do stair running and I am giving running another shot. I also used to hike, and will probably start again in the next couple of weeks or so.

I act silly when I'm not adulting.
  • Jessicupcake22
    Jessicupcake22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a mentor ! I am 23 and weigh 245 lbs, I am disgusted with myself. I have used this site before and lost 35 lbs, but was recently diagnosed with pcos and am having a hard time. Thank you in advance :)
  • Laviraghu
    Laviraghu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor to help me lose those last 5 stubborn pounds ! I work out almost every day but could definitely use some guidance to keep the last few lbs off. My biggest problem is how my weight keeps fluctuating between my goal weight plus or minus 4/5 lbs. Thank you !
  • gryan1086
    gryan1086 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, 6'2, former football player and track runner, from 18 to 19 I went from 175 to 225, now 29 and never fully lost those 50 lbs at any point in the last decade, recently went from 225 to 207, 208ish, trying to get down to 180ish, would love a mentor
  • kriswestbrook2016
    kriswestbrook2016 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have about 37 lbs. left to lose for my goal. Any mentors for a girl with pcos?
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Anyone of you feel free to message me, My bio is at top of this page.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Sawjer wrote: »
    Anyone of you feel free to message me, My bio is at top of this page.

x2.
  • IndiHannahJJ
    IndiHannahJJ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor to help me get started and keep me going. I'm a 22 year old former competitive rider and rugby player, but suffered a big sporting injury a few months ago. I went from playing three hours of sport five days a week to doing zero hours a week and eating the same amount. I'm trying to lose about 50 pounds while getting back into light exercise and building up the muscle to really get back into full exercise! Would love a mentor to help with goals and to talk to, this is my first time dieting properly :)
  • Tamaralee89
    Tamaralee89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies and gents I'm 26 of age, I've used the app before for a short period of time but I wasn't committed then. I'm fully committed to my lifestyle changes I've lost 30lbs on my own but I have plenty more to go so MFP as been a treasure to me. A mentor would be nice for some extra motivation, healthy eating and having someone to chat with about things in general. P.S I laugh at my own jokes, you've been warned. :#
This discussion has been closed.