Before & During/After Pics?

Options
Hello, MFP community!
This is my first post. I was wondering, do any of you get sad when looking at your before pictures? I just did my first side-by-side photo comparison with a recent picture against a picture from almost three years ago when I was at my heaviest, and it made me sad that I allowed myself to get so big and that no one tried to help, but then again do we want those that care for us to tell us we've gotten fat and should diet? No, of course not. But, I just needed to share my sentiments with individuals that may have experienced similar emotions or I'm just unnecessarily emotional, ha!
A happy & healthy day to all,
Whitney
Ps - feel free to friend me! I've only got three, haha.

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sad, no. I enjoy my crappy pictures. They show me how far I've come in a journey to a healthier me. If anything, I'm proud of them.

My weight gain was my fault. If I couldn't see that I was fat, I sure as hell wouldn't want my loved ones to point it out. Sometimes we just have to go it alone, and that's okay. You're stronger today than you were yesterday.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    More surprised by how big I was but at the time it didn't feel big.
  • dlz1570
    dlz1570 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agreed Merkavar.... I feel the same
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Not when I look at my pics, but when I sit and think about it I do get sad. Then I remind myself that I can't change the past and that I am doing something to correct what I did.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel disgusted. But mostly I'm grateful to have before & progress pics. If I were to pick my before size from a bunch of random genetic pics, I would pic something that does not look as bad as I did. And if I were to pick an after pic, it would not look as good as I do now. We do not see ourselves accurately & have very poor memories about body size. I truly think the pics will help keep me on track when i reach maintenance.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You know what I see in my "before" pictures? A funny, smart, talented woman who was fighting against serious back injuries that were nearly fatal and fighting an autoimmune disease that left her unable to stay awake more than 4 hours at a time. I see a woman who put a career on hold to take care of a terminally ill mother. I see a beloved auntie who found the energy to volunteer in her community and church and take care of her niece and nephew whenever their mom needed help despite that autoimmune disease. I see a woman who was spending all her energy on taking care of other people.

Am I sad looking at the pictures? No, because I am at peace with who I am. I just came to the realization that I needed to take care of my body or I couldn't continue to take care of my family and community. Do I wish I'd made it a priority sooner? Sure. But I don't regret my life and I'm not sad to see those pictures.

1do0uvurapjv.jpg <-- Super awesome person

a2uqgxxxo5pq.jpg <-- Same super awesome person

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    You know what I see in my "before" pictures? A funny, smart, talented woman who was fighting against serious back injuries that were nearly fatal and fighting an autoimmune disease that left her unable to stay awake more than 4 hours at a time. I see a woman who put a career on hold to take care of a terminally ill mother. I see a beloved auntie who found the energy to volunteer in her community and church and take care of her niece and nephew whenever their mom needed help despite that autoimmune disease. I see a woman who was spending all her energy on taking care of other people.

Am I sad looking at the pictures? No, because I am at peace with who I am. I just came to the realization that I needed to take care of my body or I couldn't continue to take care of my family and community. Do I wish I'd made it a priority sooner? Sure. But I don't regret my life and I'm not sad to see those pictures.

You are super awesome!!!
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I truly love that attitude ^^

@tomteboda Thank you for that post. It was a case of priorities for me too. Perhaps the wrong ones, but my choices. A period that I have now where the things I had prioritised have dropped away has given me space to re-evaluate and here I am. Your post has made me feel good. Cheers!!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello, MFP community!
    This is my first post. I was wondering, do any of you get sad when looking at your before pictures? I just did my first side-by-side photo comparison with a recent picture against a picture from almost three years ago when I was at my heaviest, and it made me sad that I allowed myself to get so big and that no one tried to help, but then again do we want those that care for us to tell us we've gotten fat and should diet? No, of course not. But, I just needed to share my sentiments with individuals that may have experienced similar emotions or I'm just unnecessarily emotional, ha!
    A happy & healthy day to all,
    Whitney
    Ps - feel free to friend me! I've only got three, haha.

Ive never taken pictures during my weight loss journeys (3 babies - losing baby wight) - but I did this time around. Just started back in Jan and took 6wk progress pics....even though my change is slight (but noticeable at 9 inches lost) when I look at my before pic I just think "never again".
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @tomteboda you rock! I love your attitude! You really are super awesome!
    I have a good friend who has never once commented on any weight loss (or gain) and I know that, for her, I am the same person regardless of what I look like on the outside and she loves me for who I am and not what I look like. I appreciate that and try to treat myself with the same love.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Love this. I've been asked this by people I know and my answer was much the same, but not as awesome as yours. :p

I was doing the best I could at the time under the circumstances. Wish I had done better, but no hate for the fat me here.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Shocked at looking at my before, and I'm only about 10 lbs lighter. It disgusts me that I let my health go
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wish I took full body pictures from my highest weight (360+). I have some from my re start date after I had my daughter (305) and I love looking at them compared to how I look now.

I take new ones every so often, sometimes it can be annoying, the last six months I've been gaining and losing the same weight, I can see my body shape change (quads and qlutes + shoulders are more defined) otherwise I look the same. I have been using that as motivation to tighten up.

I LOVE when people don't hate their befores! Be kind to yourself every step of the way!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do, but then I feel happy because I'm amazed at how much progress I have made and how I never have to think about that person ever again.

Prior to losing weight, I was depressed. I would go to work, come home, and just lie in bed, eat, and binge watch Netflix. I used to be fit, but a few life circumstances coupled with the fact that I have Asperger's just led me into a downward spiral that I had a hard time digging myself out of. After seeing the scale go up to 139, I decided I had enough and that I wanted control of my life again.

I forgot how great establishing routines were for me and when I started to sleep at the same time every day, wake up at the same time every day, start my day off with exercise, and plan my meals, everything just started falling into place. My mental health, physical health, and every aspect of my life started to improve. I am a completely different person than I was in June and I have MFP, exercise, and myself to thank for it.

5uj7wa4vd1xh.jpg

Progress pictures have been the last piece of the puzzle for my brain to really register that I have changed in so many ways. I recommend people take progress pictures so they can draw comparisons whenever they feel down or ready to give up. It really is an eye opener and a motivator. Never in my wildest dreams would I believe I would accomplish as much as I have in such a small timeframe.

• jessicagosz
    jessicagosz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    e0py7ywn8aph.jpg
    I feel angry that I left myself get that way at first but then I realized who i was then was so much a part of getting me to who i am now. I love myself then because it made me into who i am today, without being where i was i would not know the feeling of success and achievement.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So much positivity and inspiration here!! Thank you for sharing! Helps me stay motivated to see others having so much success. :)
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i9aw641mr1gr.png

Sometimes Sad but PROUD of how far Ive come! Especially when people just assume Ive always been 'petitie' and I can tell them I was 50 pounds Heavier than I am now !