Feel like I am failing

Options
I wish I could write down everything I am feeling about trying to loose weight and get healthy I have been doing this for 86 days and only lost 12 pounds. No matter how hard I try it doesn't seem to be good enough

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    you're losing 1 lb a week.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Wow, 86 days in and you've already lost 12? I think that sounds great. A loss is a loss. :) And if I am doing the math correctly it means you've lost around 1 lb per week so far. I also do weight watchers and they suggest losing anywhere from .5 lbs to 2 lbs per month so you've exceeded that already.

What works for me is measuring and weighing all foods and eating as many one ingredient foods as I possibly can.

Good luck to you! Remember this is a lifestyle change you are going for and not a race.

You got this.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That sounds quite good so far, you're not failing! Are you exercising also? It might help to lift your mood and you can see how much better you get with a certain activity, which should be good motivation
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    They say the slower you lose it, the long it will stay off!
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You're succeeding, not failing, you need to change your expectations and be fairer on yourself. Easiest way to say it is you didn't gain the weight you're trying to lose quickly, you won't lose it quickly either.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You are losing, so you are doing good. How much do you need to lose? Are your goals realistic? Are you possibly trying too hard without doing the things that are effective? Do you weigh everything you eat and drink and double check entries before you log? Is your calorie goal set correctly (according to your height, weight, activity level)? Or are you hungry so that you eat a little more to compensate? Are you eating a well-rounded diet? Do you have cheat meals/days - those can totally offset all the good work for a week? Have you cut out all "junk"?
  • DebbieM09
    DebbieM09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am doing as much exercise as I can, with my back issues. Think I am just frustrated and the hard work you put into losing weight doesn't always show or seem worth it . Thank you for all the support! You are all wonderful people!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you were failing you would be gaining. 12 pounds is a great accomplishment and healthy weight loss. You didn't gain it all in 86 days. Keep going!
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you carry on loosing 1lb a week that will be 21 lbs (2 stone) lost before the end of May. I think the real challenge is being consistent and you are doing really well at that!

I am trying to reprogram myself to stop assuming that I have failed and quit weight loss if I don't lose as much as I would have liked at the beginning. For example, In January and early Feb I lost 1 stone. Since then I have lost 3lbs then had a few social events and put them back on, I have then lost them and put them back on again! Normally I would completely give up and tell myself that I am destined to be big but this time I am simply seeing it as part of the long term journey. In April I have very little on and so maybe I will lose another stone, who knows - as long as you are keeping a check on your weight and not closing your eyes and ignoring it you are succeeding.

Good luck and don't put yourself down!! X
  • BryonySigrun
    BryonySigrun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in that time frame is great!!! Like the others said, if you were failing you wouldn't be losing you would be gaining. Great job!
  • dlj140
    dlj140 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have back issues, or joint issues, do water walking. Get in a pool, depth should be between belly button and chest. Walk as quickly as you can, swinging your arms. Do this for 30 minutes. You will burn twice the calories as walking on land, and it will not hurt joints or back.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thats about 0.5-1 pound a week which is great and the healthy way so keep up the good work !!! What i do to give myself a boost is drink a cup of cinamon tea which is 1 cup of hot water and 1/2 tablespoon of cinamon and 1/2 spoon of honey or 1/3 spoon of sugar instead of honey for taste Once a day , it helps me lose weight i see i a difference the next day on a scale ( couple grams ) Try it it might work for u.plus cinnamon is a natural herb not chemical
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You say you've been on it for 86 days and ONLY lost 12lbs = average of 1lb a week
    I've been on it for 227 days and lost 39lbs = average of 1lb a week

The difference is I am really HAPPY with my loss. Keep doing what you're doing - those pounds soon add up!
  • Ssumner2001
    Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to be really trying and not seeing the numbers come down as fast as you would like but please don't get discouraged. Every pound down is getting you closer to your goal.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    DebbieM09 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I am doing as much exercise as I can, with my back issues. Think I am just frustrated and the hard work you put into losing weight doesn't always show or seem worth it . Thank you for all the support! You are all wonderful people!

its very frustrating true, but its all worth it in the end so hang on in there.

good luck
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article that mentioned that we should consider how long it took to gain the weight when considering how long it should take to loose the weight. It's taken me years to accumulate the fat, so it's going to take time to get rid of it.

Also, every time you lose a pound, think about it as four sticks of butter. Then there's the visceral fat that we're losing throughout our organs that we don't see. So it sounds like you're doing a great job - and doing it the right way - slowly but steadily.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie.

Do me a favor. Stop what you are doing and think about times in the past when you thought about or planned to lose weight. Then think about how a few months later you would remember that initial plan and regret that you hadn't gone through with it because, if you had, you could have been X lbs lighter and healthier.

Did you ever do that? I know I did. I would sit in church and write on the bulletin, listing each week and what weight I'd be if I lost a pound every week for the next so many months. Then months later I would find the bulletin shoved in a drawer, see the weight I was "supposed" to be now and regret not having followed through. Then I finally reached a point where I decided to follow through. And I did. And yes, it was a long road. I took a year--52 weeks--to lose 52 pounds. During that year, every time I started to think "will I ever get there?" I would remember those church bulletin weight lists and regrets and think I'm doing it for real this time. No more looking back and thinking "if only I'd taken action."I'm really doing it.

I really encourage you to focus on how far you've come rather than how far you have to go. One pound a week adds up quickly in the grand scheme of things. You're doing great and you can continue to do great, I'm sure of it. Best of luck to you :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in 12 weeks and 2 days doesn't sound like failure at all!
  • iangelbailey10
    iangelbailey10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    DebbieM09 wrote: »

You are always worth the effort. So many of us that have struggled with our weight for most our lives have wrapped our self worth up in the number we see on the scales. Then, it trickles down to everything we do in life. However, you can change that view. Focus on other things.. like how you feel after you finish your workout... that you accomplished what you couldn't 86 days ago. The workouts never get easier... you get stronger! You can do it!!

You are worth it! Never forget that. :)