Yoga

Options
beth_sykes
beth_sykes Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Does yoga help with weight loss along with changing your diet etc and what other benefits does it have?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Google does wonders. Yes
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, being in a calorie deficit causes weight loss. Yoga could theoretically help with said deficit but doubtful sense it doesn't burn many calories.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yoga can help you retain muscle mass, but ultimately it is your daily calorie intake that determines weight loss. When you eat less calories, your body gets the extra needed energy by burning both fat and muscle. Yoga can help you keep the muscle you have while eating at a deficit.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You're not really going to get a huge calorie burn from yoga so honestly it's not going to help tremendously with weight loss. For me personally in doing yoga almost everyday i've become much stronger and it's given me greater mobility/flexibility which certainly helps in everyday life. The mobility i've gained from it translates over to being more efficient during my crossfit workouts (which do often burn a good deal of calories). It's also provided me with mental clarity, calmness and a general sense of well being. It also helps with my terrible insomnia when I do it right before bed.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1)depends on the type of yoga. some doesn't burn much at all and others can burn a decent amount of calories
    2) still the deficit is more important. no deficit no weight loss.
    3) from google
    physical benefits of yoga include:
    Increased flexibility.
    Increased muscle strength and tone.
    Improved respiration, energy and vitality.
    Maintaining a balanced metabolism.
    Weight reduction.
    Cardio and circulatory health.
    Improved athletic performance.
    Protection from injury.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Without that, no exercise will cause you to lose weight. Yoga is also a low calorie burning exercise, so it is highly unlikely that it will put you in a deficit without some dietary changes.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    While it may not be a big calorie burn, one of the benefits I really rely upon is the increased flexibility--which reduces my likelihood of injury from other calorie-burning workouts.

Plus, it just FEELS so good--it's a great way to reward myself and feel good about myself without stuffing my face with food!