Let's talk rotisserie chicken

Options
okay so I love rotisserie chicken. It's sooooo much better than a baked or grilled chicken breast. But....that makes me worried. What makes it so good?? Are the Calories on MFP correct? I do not eat the skin...though I would love to...what is your opinion? Healthy? Good option for a low calorie protein? Thanks yall!

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    its the way its cooked that makes it so moist, tender, and flavorful. I buy mine "naked" no salt or seasonings, but its because I mostly use it for pot pies amd soups.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Those bad boys get a nice swim in some brine before cooking. Gives it that flavor that makes your taste buds fly high. If Costco wasn't such a madhouse I'd go get one right now.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only problem is that I cannot find nutrition information for eating just the crispy skin.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought it, it had almost an inch of "fat" in the container.
    Not all of it was brine.
    I gathered it, put it in fridge and sure enough it turned the yellow fatty substance.
    And how can something that was cooked on a pipe drip so much fat after taken off?
    I wonder if they are injecting it in a half brine half fat solution. I really wonder.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I looked at some the sodium was so high I decided to skip it and cook my own.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It is OK. If I am really out of options at home for dinner and we are doing the biweekly shopping at Costco, I'll pick one up. My husband isn't a big fan and I think they are OK, but they seem pretty greasy.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought it, it had almost an inch of "fat" in the container.
    Not all of it was brine.
    I gathered it, put it in fridge and sure enough it turned the yellow fatty substance.
    And how can something that was cooked on a pipe drip so much fat after taken off?
    I wonder if they are injecting it in a half brine half fat solution. I really wonder.

it still has its skin.. which has its fat.. i worked at whole foods and the chicken isnt injected with fat.. thats the point of rotisserie.. it uses its own fat to keep it moist.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The only problem is that I cannot find nutrition information for eating just the crispy skin.

Ahhhhh!! Now this is the answer I was looking for.....
  • Glampinupdoll
    Options
    I looked at some the sodium was so high I decided to skip it and cook my own.

Do u know what the sodium came to for a certain oz serving?
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    okay so I love rotisserie chicken. It's sooooo much better than a baked or grilled chicken breast.

Just out of curiosity, how do you normally grill or bake your chicken? I don't find rotisserie chicken to be better than my own chicken at all... Sometimes I make chicken that actually makes me cry a little bit...
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Salty, greasy, slimy, overooked mess. BLECH!
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    okay so I love rotisserie chicken. It's sooooo much better than a baked or grilled chicken breast.

Just out of curiosity, how do you normally grill or bake your chicken? I don't find rotisserie chicken to be better than my own chicken at all... Sometimes I make chicken that actually makes me cry a little bit...

Cry?? Why would cooking chicken make you sad?
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Sobey's; I was the one cooking those bad boys!! Lol, not the funnest job. Ours weren't in a 'brine'; they came in big tubs, just raw chickens. My job was to get them ready for the oven, which meant pulling any extra fat out, throwing a spoonful of salt into the cavity, and sliding them onto the skewer. That was it. I was also in charge of de-boning the unsold ones at the end of the night; we'd use the meat the next day for pot pies, pizza's, sandwiches, ect. I can completely tear apart a warm chicken in less than a minute!

Little off topic, sorry.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    @fishshark But is it also in a brine before?

I don't mind it as a sometimes food when I just need some chicken and I don't want to cook. When I get down to really looking at it (or it's 3 days till paycheck :lol: ) I realize I can get boneless/skinless thighs for $3/lb vs a bone in bird for $5/$6 of varying actual meat content and they're still really moist, no brine, no worry about fighting with bones.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Options

Umm well when I have it... Grill, tends to get dry. ( I basically can't grill anything) or baked in a glass pan with a little olive oil. Any tips :)
  • phsst
    phsst Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a big rotisserie chicken fan. I don't always have time to prep a hot meal-- especially when my time after work is spent grocery shopping. I love to grab a hot rotisserie chicken, get the groceries home, and then just rip off one of the legs like a savage and eat it with my bare hands while standing in the kitchen. Pure animalistic joy.

Then I use the rest in salads and meals the remainder of the week.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Options
    phsst wrote: »
    I am a big rotisserie chicken fan. I don't always have time to prep a hot meal-- especially when my time after work is spent grocery shopping. I love to grab a hot rotisserie chicken, get the groceries home, and then just rip off one of the legs like a savage and eat it with my bare hands while standing in the kitchen. Pure animalistic joy.

Then I use the rest in salads and meals the remainder of the week.
    Agree!! Full fisting that leg is some type of miracle :) good idea on using the rest for salad!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I love a rotisserie chicken when I'm in a pinch for dinner. We eat it by itself, in wraps, in enchiladas, on a sandwich, as a salad topper. I do cook a whole bird myself once or twice a month, but when it runs out I've got no issue with picking a rotisserie bird up.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Options
    I love a rotisserie chicken when I'm in a pinch for dinner. We eat it by itself, in wraps, in enchiladas, on a sandwich, as a salad topper. I do cook a whole bird myself once or twice a month, but when it runs out I've got no issue with picking a rotisserie bird up.

Do you just bake it? Plain?
  • chewyxrage
    chewyxrage Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    They taste so good and are really convenient.

Super difficult to log unless you tear the whole thing apart and weigh everything...kinda defeats the convenient aspect.