Too much cardio?

Options
holmesj747
holmesj747 Posts: 29 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So my current schedule is 30-45 min of weight training per day, normally done at lunch time (less people at the gym/more access to weights). Then 45-60 min of cardio 4x week. Then I read this article and it says that I am technically doing too much cardio. Where do you stand on this? What is your routine? I know that my current schedule has worked so far as I am down roughly 70 lbs, but would like to drop another ±10 lbs and cut the fat.

Doing cardiovascular training more than 30 minutes per day is not overly beneficial to the body. Furthermore, if you are doing cardio for 1 to 2 hours per day or more, chances are your body is being worn down. The body adapts to what you put it through. Therefore, if you do endless amounts of cardio and then stop the body will be more likely to add additional fat. Keep cardio to about 3 to 4 times per week 15-30 minutes and only make modest modifications as needed.

Read more at: https://content.tigerfitness.com/fat-loss-tips-effectively/

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can't access the link but for me I lift 4x a week up to 30mins if I add in accessory work...I do cardio almost everyday and yes it can exceed 30mins esp if it's a bike ride or a walk.

My runs (3x a week non leg days) are 30mins/5k

Everyone has an opinion on this..I think you do what you want within reason as long as you are fueling your workouts your body will be fine.

Mind you I won't run on leg days and I run M/W/Sat to break it up.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    holmesj747 wrote: »
    Where do you stand on this? What is your routine?

Doing cardiovascular training more than 30 minutes per day is not overly beneficial to the body. Furthermore, if you are doing cardio for 1 to 2 hours per day or more, chances are your body is being worn down.

I bike 100+ miles a week. Probably spend 8 to 12 hours per week on the bike. Once a week I do hill repeats, the next day is a rest day or recovery ride, I like to do one longer ride per week, and after work I try to put in an hour a day riding, mostly in zone 2. For cyclists, volume definitely builds fitness; if I had to limit myself to 2 hours a week I'd be less strong in many ways and it would leave me unable to achieve some of my goals. Last year I rode over Washington Pass from the valley floor, then did Cutthroat Pass the next day. :)

Rest is as important as exercise, of course.

EDIT: I was hit by a car in October and had to take three months off. I've continued losing weight through that period.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I doubt the body doubles down on weight gain when excess cardio is stopped. I have heard the lots of cardio is counterproductive for bodybuilders wanting muscle mass. A leveling off on benefits after 30 minutes sound logical too. I am most worried about some reports of distance runners dying suddenly from heart problems, blocked arteries etc. I am not sure if the connection between long distance running and this heart trouble has been made or is the subject of study. I just remember hearing about it. I also have seen studies that say joints are able to add protective qualities when used a lot. Me I think any bearing will eventually wear out. I didn't start running until 52 so I have some time.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Not even remotely too much cardio. Just take a rest day when needed. Most I ever got up to was running a 105/mi peak wk. Currently building back up to around 80. Should be 4-6months.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I can't access the link but for me I lift 4x a week up to 30mins if I add in accessory work...I do cardio almost everyday and yes it can exceed 30mins esp if it's a bike ride or a walk.

My runs (3x a week non leg days) are 30mins/5k

Everyone has an opinion on this..I think you do what you want within reason as long as you are fueling your workouts your body will be fine.

Mind you I won't run on leg days and I run M/W/Sat to break it up.

I very much agree with this.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    So my current schedule is 30-45 min of weight training per day, normally done at lunch time (less people at the gym/more access to weights). Then 45-60 min of cardio 4x week. Then I read this article and it says that I am technically doing too much cardio. Where do you stand on this? What is your routine? I know that my current schedule has worked so far as I am down roughly 70 lbs, but would like to drop another ±10 lbs and cut the fat.

Doing cardiovascular training more than 30 minutes per day is not overly beneficial to the body. Furthermore, if you are doing cardio for 1 to 2 hours per day or more, chances are your body is being worn down. The body adapts to what you put it through. Therefore, if you do endless amounts of cardio and then stop the body will be more likely to add additional fat. Keep cardio to about 3 to 4 times per week 15-30 minutes and only make modest modifications as needed.

I disagree with the bold. I spent several years over-doing cardio: 90 min. 6 days per week. I finally stopped cold turkey, switched primarily to lifting and I lost 10 lbs. I agree that over-doing cardio is counterproductive and leads to injury, but NOT that you will add fat when you stop.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Maybe if you are in general physically active, like have a job that requires you to move a lot, walk rather than using a car etc, and then add hours of intense cardio on top, you are not doing your body any favours. For the average sedentary person, with e.g. a desk job and endless hours spent in a car/couch/chair, the amount of cardio you describe is the absolute minimum to remain healthy.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You need to consider the source. A website that sells supplements to bodybuilders are going to tend to publish articles about the evils of cardio. Their target audience wants to be reassured that it is fine that they do not do cardio and only lift. Of course some of their target audience probably wishes that they would do some articles about the evils of leg days, because they are getting really tired of being the subject of internet meme pictures.

If cardio works for you and you like doing it, then keep doing what you are doing. If it works but you hate it, then find something else that you like to do that works.

Articles like the one you referenced fall into three categories:
    1) If you do too much cardio, then you will wreck your metabolism.
    • Truth: If you are doing and form of exercise and stop, but don't adjust your calories, then you will likely add fat over time.
    2) If you do too much cardio, then you are going to destroy your knees, ankles, feet, or whole body.
    Note: These ones are usually targeted at running.
    • Truth 1: Running, or any cardio, by itself does not necessarily destroy your body. Runners that train consistently and are mindful of how quickly they increase their mileage tend not to have a markedly higher incidence of injury. However weekend warriors that only run once a week (or less), people that pile on the mileage quicker that there body can adapt, and people that decide to participate in distance events with no real training are more likely to experience injuries that are then projected onto the entire community.
    • Truth 2: If you do any activity with bad form/mechanics then you have an increased likelihood of injury. If you run or bike with bad form, then of course you can do damage to your knees. But that is no different than a pitcher or quarterback that blows out his shoulder due to bad mechanics or a basketball player that blows out a knee due to bad jumping/landing mechanics. If you have bad form and do not correct it, then you will face an increased likelihood of injury if you increase the activity.

@rsclause Yes any bearing could wear out, but if you mistreat it then it is more likely to fail.

3) Articles that reference/compile examples of people dying or being hospitalized during an endurance event.
    • Truth: Some of the large marathons have 30k to over 50k participants. Most are in fine shape and probably even see a doctor on a regular basis and are medically cleared. However some of them may not have seen a doctor in years and could have an undiagnosed condition. Add to that the fact that some times these events happen in less than ideal condition, due to heat or air quality, and you have a situation where that undiagnosed condition could raise its head.

In all cases it is really about giving their audience a justification for not doing something that they are already, probably, not doing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It's not necessary or time-effective to do 1-2 hours of cardio per day, but, seriously, how many people actually do that? It's a classic straw man argument. And the idea that if you will add fat after doing cardio is just stupid. You can also wear down the body with excessive lifting as well.

You don't have to do as much cardio as you are doing, but it will not negatively affect your progress if you enjoy doing it. I would make sure that you are doing quality, focused resistance training--meaning not just going through circuits of selectorized machines doing 8-12 reps, but incorporating cycles of heavy (heavier?) lifting (3-6 reps) and compound lifts.

You would also benefit from adding some tempo/interval training to you cardio routine and not relying solely on steady-state endurance sessions (if that is indeed what you are doing).
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio and I want to keep as much muscle as possible so I'm focusing on eating at a deficit instead of relying on cardio to burn calories. I enjoy walking and listening to podcasts so I stick with that and lift weights. I do cardio if I want to do a quick burn if I know I am going to eat a lot that day. The arc trainer has been killing my feet and back and the elliptical is mind numbing. I enjoy running but it's also hard on the body and I have to be mentally ready to do long distance.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - that's way too much cardio! Cut it in half.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the amount of cardio one can safely due depends on recovery (sleep) and nutrition. If one is getting adequate nutrients and sleeping for a sufficient quantity and quality, then I would think this person can certainly do more cardio than someone else who is not getting in enough nutrients and sleep. (Also keep in mind that exercise increases the requirement for some minerals like magnesium).
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Only study I remember re:too much cardio was done on runners.

It seems that running 20+ miles per week is correlated with reduced lifespan. 10 miles per week was the sweet spot IIRC.

webmd.com/fitness-exercise/20140401/too-much-running-tied-to-shorter-lifespan-studies-find
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Pretty poor article, some good points but a lot of broscience, generalisations, hyperbole an a sprinkling of unfounded silliness - think they would have done better to stop at 7 reasons but even then could pick holes in it.

My routine varies but usually 3 hours of strength training and 4 hours of various cardio of different types and intensities per week in winter. In summer cycling season "cardio" is probably between 6 - 10 hours a week and strength training remains roughly the same.
    It's been hugely beneficial to me - but my goals are probably different to yours.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Not even close to too much. In fact, your closer to the minimum. The AHA suggests 120-150 min per week minimum.
    I trust heart doctors over supplement sellers ;)
  • Shalynlink
    Shalynlink Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Not even close to too much. In fact, your closer to the minimum. The AHA suggests 120-150 min per week minimum.

This 100%. When you do cardio - your body develops collateral vessels which is a natural bypass for the heart. It puts your heart into a much better health catagory able to survive a heart attack much better (can't remember the %). If you don't do the cardio - you simply do not develop the vessels. So as I said before, it really comes down to your goals as a healthy person. Each of us defines this for ourselves.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Shalynlink wrote: »
    scorpio516 wrote: »

This 100%. When you do cardio - your body develops collateral vessels which is a natural bypass for the heart. It puts your heart into a much better health catagory able to survive a heart attack much better (can't remember the %). If you don't do the cardio - you simply do not develop the vessels. So as I said before, it really comes down to your goals as a healthy person. Each of us defines this for ourselves.

This sounds very interesting. Do you have a source?

OP
    Keep doing what you're doing but make sure you're not cutting too hard.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Don't make the mistake I've made at several points in my fitness journey, and OVER research.
    The Internet can drive you crazy with too much information, too many different opinions of what works and blah, blah, blah.
    If your over all goal is to lose the last of the weight-70 lbs is incredible! To be healthy and look good, then in my opinion you have a very well rounded routine. Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.
    If you make changes in the future, make changes that challenge your body as you progress, and keep you interested in fitness.
    Well done!