Iron intake question

Options
According to this app my iron and potassium intake is low.... I usually don't even reach the 50% dv mark. Yet I eat tons of fruits and veggies. I don't like bananas. I've always heard spinach and raisins are high in iron...but they don't seem to bring my numbers up much. Iceaalso read that nutrition labels after don't list potassium so the app may not be accurate. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, spinach is good as are pumpkin seeds and dried apricots. I think data available on these nutrients is limited so it's difficult to track, I take iron tablets every other day to be safe.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Have you had your iron tested? The RDA is a good guide but for some it can be way to low or to high. I have to take 5-8 times the RDA to stay at the low end of a healthy rage. Low iron levels are not fun, so good for you for checking.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any beef? How about fortified cereals? They are a little higher in iron.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat Cheerios. I was surprised to see that my iron intake was always way above 100% on the days that I eat this cereal. So when I'm low on iron I'll eat them for a snack.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's true the app may not be correct especially when it comes to potassium.
  • chewyjello
    chewyjello Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love cheerios! I'll have to look into that, thanks! And no, Ivery rarely eat beef or any red meat. Mostly fish and chicken. I'm going to try adding oysters and clams to my diet. I had a cbc done last week and my red blood cells and hemoglobin are as low as they can be and still be considered "normal". II'll ask my Dr to check my iron the next time I see him. I've been too anemic in the past to be able to give blood, sso it would probably be a good idea to get it checked. Potassium was right where it should be on my labs so I'm not so concerned about that anymore! Thanks for the suggestions! :-)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    The app always shows my iron very low, just got my labs done and I'm fine. I do try to eat greens and take a multivitamin with iron but I wouldn't worry about it unless your doc says to. If you think you're low, get tested.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum multi - but not all multis have iron. Many stand alone iron supplements have HUGE amounts. Be careful with this.

Citrus with iron is good for absorption (raisin bran). Too much calcium with iron is bad. Dark green veggies have iron.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about iron, you could take a daily multivitamin (not a gummy). It will also contain calcium, which all women should get a bit of. Also magnesium, vitamin D, boron.