Spiralizer

Options
bnicoletti22
bnicoletti22 Posts: 23 Member
Is anyone else as obsessed with spiralizing vegetables as I am? Zoodles are just about my favorite thing in the world! We have also tried it with yellow squash, carrots and sweet potato, and they have all turned out great. We saute them with garlic, olive oil and a little lemon juice for 3ish minutes, or until they get tender. Delicious!

Replies

• aimjo83
    aimjo83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have one and never used it...how do U use it with the squash?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    That was the last straw. I'm going to have to buy one.
    You just cost me about 25 bucks.
    I made a promise not to buy more kitchen gadgets.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Best $30 I've spent in a while. I love zoodles.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Meh. Gotta say I'm not really impressed. I can julienne those same veggies with a chef's knife and be just as satisfied.
  • Allie6011012
    Allie6011012 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What veggies do you use? and do you steam them ?
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    How easy is a spiralizer? I make zoodles all the time but use a ridged peeler. It is pretty easy but my hands do get tired after a while.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I got an inexpensive one to try out. Now I am seriously considering getting a better one.
  • yesicandothis370
    yesicandothis370 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have one but haven't tried it yet. Now I am going to real soon. :)
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I bought a vegetti knock off from the dollarstore for 3 bucks!! Its fantastic for cucumber and zucchinni! Aside from that spahgetti squash is delicious.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    amazing! I HATE zucchini unless its zoodles! Eat so many now!
  • bnicoletti22
    bnicoletti22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got mine as a wedding gift from Crate & Barrel. It's one you do by hand, so it can get a little tiring after a while, but it's SO worth it. I think it cost like $24 or something? Not too expensive.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just got one off of Amazon earlier this week - haven't used it yet but I'm so excited. Anyone have a favorite recipe? I'm going to try out chicken zoodle soup, greek zoodle salad and shrimp florentine with zoodles sometime soon.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for recipes, inspiralized.com is the best! It's a recipe blog of only spiralized vegetables, and her cookbook is amazing too.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my spiralizer more than I'm willing to admit (I have been very vocal and public about thinking they're silly, lol, but I finally broke down and got one and I really really like using it).

How do you keep your spirals from getting too long? I feel like every time I spiral something I end up with 4 foot long strings. When I cut whatever it is into smaller chunks, I feel like I'm wasting WAY more of the vegetable than I would otherwise (that last inch that doesn't get spiralized because it's what's holding the chunk onto the spiralizer, if that makes sense - when you cut it smaller to start you have 4-5 or whatever of those instead of 1), and I've tried cutting it after I'm all done but I end up with even weirder lengths because I'm just sort of blindly hacking into a pile so some don't get cut and some are tiny pieces. I haven't figured out a good way to cut as I go (I have one of the side crank ones). Any tips?
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    gonna have to try the sweet potato - that sounds great. I really like doing the cucumbers and carrots in a salad with ginger dressing. The squash to me is just okay. I like to cut out the seeds so it doesn't get soggy when I cook squash and, that doesn't work with the spiralizer, although it does take out a small core of the middle. Maybe I need the peeler thingy for squash.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @barbieAS, why not cut as it's coming out just like when you make pasta with a pasta machine?
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I used it a lot more last year, mostly with summer squash. I got annoyed with all the water content when the zoodles were heated and everything got so soggy! My favorite dish was eating them raw with a cold peanut/sesame sauce.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    @barbieAS, why not cut as it's coming out just like when you make pasta with a pasta machine?

Yep, that probably is the answer, but, like I said, I haven't figured out a good way to do it. Maybe on another model it would be easier, but the way that the spiralized stuff just sits on this little tray it's not easy to get a knife or scissors in there. It's super hard to describe but it's just really awkward and I didn't get good results. Next time I use it I'll take a video :lol:.
  • tlyric97
    tlyric97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the spiralizer... love zucchini, and sweet potatoes... can't wait to try more!