How rude is it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude.
    I'm supposed to be going to my in laws. (tahoe forest) They eat pretty good for the most part, I just have to watch my portion sizes. I'm going to bring my jillian michaels dvd with me. I'm also going to go for walks with my mother in law, I don't like walking alone up there because there have been a lot of mountain lion sighting, and the fact that there have been a few times that his mom has seen bears roaming around during the day.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude.
    I'm supposed to be going to my in laws. (tahoe forest) They eat pretty good for the most part, I just have to watch my portion sizes. I'm going to bring my jillian michaels dvd with me. I'm also going to go for walks with my mother in law, I don't like walking alone up there because there have been a lot of mountain lion sighting, and the fact that there have been a few times that his mom has seen bears roaming around during the day.

BTW everyone tells me that if you see a bear try to look bigger and make noise it will scare it. Well I'm 5ft tall, looking big isn't that easy, I could probably scare off a small cub, but I can be loud. I've been told I am very loud for such a little person.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I do not think that it is rude at all. As a matter of fact when we go to my Aunt and Uncle's for the 4th we always take my step daughter her own food. She is a vegetarian and will not eat anything that touches or is near meat!
  • OregonCountryGirl
    Options
    I also do not believe it to be rude! In order for anyone to succeed we need to surround ourselves with good influences! If you explain it to them and they become offended then I would simply say I want a better life for myself and in order for me to keep moving towards my goal I need to eat certain things. And then take your foods cook and eat them without making a big deal about it! Family will learn to respect this as my family has. They took it personal at first and then when they saw my body and the results and even came to my house and saw that I eat the same there, it was much easier!!!! Hope this helps, Good Luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I always bring a cooler of food to my parent's house...mostly to contribute to the feast...but I don't eat dairy, so I bring my own almond milk, tons of fruit, salads that I can eat...but I make enough for everyone
  • dkk1953
    dkk1953 Posts: 24
    Options
    As a parent, I would not feel slighted if my daughter felt the need for "healthier" alternatives to what she felt was going to be unhealthy food.

But one quick mention - food for thought, if you will. Would you be doing the exact same thing if, say, you were going to spend 4 days at your best friends home? My point is this: on this journey we call weight loss/healthy living, we need to learn to live within the environments we cannot control. The steak: eat a smaller piece. The potato: eat half, little or no butter added. The breakfast: one egg, one slice of bacon will not undo your hard work. Do you see what I mean?

As a long time "dieter" I derail myself when I "give in" but I'm actually "giving in" to huge quantity of foods, not the foods themselves.

Good luck - enjoy your visit!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Not rude at all, if they say anything, just tell them, you have done so well, and really don’t want any setbacks while you’re on a roll like this. Tell them you would be happy to help with the cooking so they won’t have to do anything extra.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I guess you could, but it might make others feel like you a judging their choices. Tread lightly.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I went and spent a week with my Mom a few years ago and we talked about what I eat when I first got there. It turns out she was thrilled to be able to talk about what was healthy and what wasn't. I found out more about her health problems that way than if I had asked straight out. My Mom is 80 and doesn't like to worry me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Is it rude or do I just chalk up the 4 days to a complete loss?

Why don't you ask them instead of us if they'd be offended?

And I don't see how it's a complete loss if you still are within you calorie goal...just because you are eating different foods doesn't make them less healthy.
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree w/everyone that has said use portion sizes, which is more offensive to ask for a smaller plate or to bring your own food?

I also think you should feel free (with notice) to bring your own food, especially if it helps keep you on track!

Maybe if you can divide it up, one day eat (albeit portioned) the "family" food and the rest eat yours!

There are all sorts of compromises that can be made in this situation! =) Hope you can work out what's best for you and your family ;)
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My parents invited me over for a cook-out and i took my own food. I ended up eating some of there's but they were very supportive and know I am trying to get healthier. It should be fine.
  • briarashley
    Options
    not rude hun, maybe ask them if they want to try it
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Sorry. They will likely find it rude if you bring your own food. I know from experience. I've done it and my hosts were offended. Family, but offended. If you're concerned enough not to offend, just count your calories as usual and eat less.

Hollycat
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I thought you said in-laws. My bad. Umm if they are YOUR parents you should take whatever you damn well please.