Are rice cakes bad for dieting

Options
Are publix low fat rice cakes bad ?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Can you fit them in your calorie and nutrition goals?

Personally, I don't like rice cakes, so I wouldn't try to fit them in.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    No. They are mostly air. They have some nutritional value, but I think of them as more of something to eat if all you need is something to keep your mouth busy ;)
    They are not bad though unless they cause you to go over you calories for the day (if your goal is to lose weight that is...)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, cause yuck ;)
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We buy "Crunchy Rice Rollers" as snackish food. Taste like Sugar Smacks cereal. I see rice cakes as simply a vehicle to hold some other food (like nut butter). I just can't stand eating them plain. All that said, if you can fit them into you calorie load for the day and you like them then eat' em.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    They're bad for my taste buds
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I use them as a snack when I need a crunch. I get the bigger ones (apple cinnamon) and put a little peanut butter and mini chocolate chips on top. It's a good sweet crunchy snack.
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ohhhhI like the Rice rollers I will use them as a snack!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i like quaker lightly salted rice cakes, and at 35 calories each, they add a little crunch and a little carbs when i need them.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Bad in what way?

I like having them from time to time - buttered popcorn, caramel corn, and the chocolate crunch ones by Quaker are good, but the plain ones aren't even worth the 10g carbs if you ask me. Taste-wise, that is. I rarely eat them alone - as with most things, they go great with peanut butter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the only thing that is bad for your diet is eating in a surplus or not getting enough nutrition....

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the mini ones....... Quakes Sweet Chili one are nice & spicy. The mini ones crunch like chips.
  • MissConsistency
    MissConsistency Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I eat them post lifting or on my protein pudding. If it fits in your plan add them.
  • DaisiesandViolets
    DaisiesandViolets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    We buy "Crunchy Rice Rollers" as snackish food. Taste like Sugar Smacks cereal. I see rice cakes as simply a vehicle to hold some other food (like nut butter). I just can't stand eating them plain. All that said, if you can fit them into you calorie load for the day and you like them then eat' em.

I second the crunchy rice rollers. I lover the crunch and sweetness and they're only around 45 calories each.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you like them and they don't cause you to exceed your calorie goal, then no they are not bad.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like the mini ones....... Quakes Sweet Chili one are nice & spicy. The mini ones crunch like chips.

I like these, too, but they are loaded with sodium. I generally get the ranch flavored ones instead.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    Not if you like them and they fit your calorie goal. I don't care for them so I never eat them. My son does like them though and if eating rice cakes keeps him from scarfing down a bag of chips then I'd say that's good.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are publix low fat rice cakes bad ?

Is there such a thing?

In the UK, rice cakes are made with rice (carbs and proteins), meaning they are naturally low in fat anyway?

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Its crunchy and satisfying for me, so I like them as snacks. But to reduce sodium I just buy plain ones and smear it with laughing cow cheese.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I feel they are a poor choice to eat a lot of because they have very little nutrition, are not filling foods and I don't think they are tasty.
    They are low calorie though. If you personally like them, have met your nutritional requirements for the day and have the calories left for them then eat them just like someone else might choose to eat a cookie, chips or ice cream for a snack.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them because they don't fill me up and I would rather use those calories on something filling or more delicious.