For people who can't cook

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    Legs_McGee wrote: »
    I don't cook - cuz I don't want to. I own one frying pan, and one corning-ware pot. I make hard-boiled eggs, occasionally bacon - and very very occasionally brown hamburger.

I've made hard boiled eggs in the microwave.

(Still soooooooooooo not cooking.) :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I don't cook - cuz I don't want to. I own one frying pan, and one corning-ware pot. I make hard-boiled eggs, occasionally bacon - and very very occasionally brown hamburger.

I must learn your ways!
  • glassyo
    Options

I must learn your ways!

Young grasshopper, we will travel to a far away land known as the Amazon of Dotcom where we will search for a large egg in the Nordic Ware region. It will be boiling (it's an egg boiler). :)

amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Egg-Boiler/dp/B0007M2BN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459452164&sr=8-1&keywords=nordic+ware+egg+boiler

They came out really well!

(Every night I also crack an egg into a bowl, add a couple tablespoons of carton egg whites, cover and microwave that sucker for 1 min 8 secs. Does cracking the egg constitute as cooking?)
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm puzzled by people who say they don't know how to cook... it isn't like you are being handed a pot and a bunch of raw ingredients and told to wing it... recipes list ingredients, have preperation instructions, heating instructions, time instructions, serving instructions... as long as you can read you can cook.
    I'm puzzled by people who say they don't know how to cook... it isn't like you are being handed a pot and a bunch of raw ingredients and told to wing it... recipes list ingredients, have preperation instructions, heating instructions, time instructions, serving instructions... as long as you can read you can cook.

• catsdogsh
    Options

• megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am not the best cook but I have found a lot of easy things to cook. I usually stick with stuff that takes less than 30 minutes to cook because I have a tight schedule and work full time as well. The crock pot is really helpful. Throw some stuff in, cooks all day, ready when you get home. Want some bbq pulled chicken? Super easy just slice up some onions and cover the bottom of crock pot, throw in chicken, cover in BBQ sauce. It doesn't get any easier than that, right there.

Plus you can watch youtube for a lot of simple reciepes and it will walk you through it so no confusion. No one taught me to cook but I don't like starving... And the frozen dinners won't feed my fiance. I would spend all night microwaving a *kitten* ton of those to feed him. And the extra sodium they put in it, just not worth it. Plus I would be sick all the time because they are too processed.
  • catsdogsh
    Options
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I work full time and care for 2 households. I'm responsible for the complete care of 2 elderly inlaws who can't even walk. I don't have time to learn how to cook or follow a recipe. Lucky when I have time to eat sitting down!!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

How do you hard boil an egg in the microwave? inquiring minds what to know! :smile: I have a hard enough time trying to not make them explode when I use my poacher. Do you put it in water and bring it to a boil?
  • catsdogsh
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    I am available as a personal chef.

• catsdogsh
    Options
    Sounds good to me
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    Does anyone else have this problem? I maintain two house holds, mine and my very frail elderly inlaws. I work full time and I've never known how to cook in my life, so not starting now lol So I use Lean Cuasine, Smart Ones, protein shakes, salad, fruit. Basically low fat food I don't have to cook. Then some friends tell me that's not healthy?

I hear you. It's not really that I CAN'T cook, but that I begrudge all the effort and mess. Whenever my family isn't around I do a frozen dinner with a crapload of vegetables added in. Yesterday's had 590 mg of sodium, I was way under my rda.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you misunderstood. I work full time and care for 2 households. I'm responsible for the complete care of 2 elderly inlaws who can't even walk. I don't have time to learn how to cook or follow a recipe. Lucky when I have time to eat sitting down!!

Do you have a spouse / partner and kids that can help? I can understand your completely lack of time and energy but hopefully YOU don't have to do everything and have some help. Not just with cooking, either.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting a crockpot! You can literally just throw some chicken breasts in there with some sauce and leave it for hours and then it's delicious. There are a ton of other crockpot "recipes" that just require you to throw stuff in there whole and as is.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot new options for easy meals in the frozen section, other than the Lean Cuisines, etc. They have those bags of veggies, chicken and sauce you can throw together in a skillet. That way your not having to heat up everyone an individual dinner.

• Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend getting a crockpot! You can literally just throw some chicken breasts in there with some sauce and leave it for hours and then it's delicious. There are a ton of other crockpot "recipes" that just require you to throw stuff in there whole and as is.

yep, this.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating frozen TV dinners every day....yuck. Not because it's "not healthy," but because 1) they don't taste that great, 2) the portion sizes are ridiculously small, and 3) they cost more than something you can easily make at home, even if you're not a chef.

I do cook, but I don't consider myself an expert by any means. I keep it pretty simple for the most part. Spaghetti, tacos, chili, lasagna, baked penne, a few casseroles, pork chops, etc. I do use the microwave for a lot of things - I actually think oatmeal tastes better cooked in the microwave for some reason, and I eat oatmeal almost daily. I also love me some protein waffles and have definitely gotten my money's worth out of my waffle maker. I'll get creative here and there, but I like to stick to what I know.

I do eat pre-packaged stuff too, of course, but it's extremely rare that I get a frozen meal and I usually regret it when I realize it's 1/4 cup of food for 300 calories. No thanks. I'm all about volume.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cooking doesn't have to be time-consuming, and it's generally the cheapest way to eat.
    1. Get 2 slow cookers,
    2. spend an hour or so one day per week chopping up stuff to put in them,
    3. put stuff in them and cook it for 6-8 hours,
    4. freeze everything in individual containers
    5. thaw, heat up, and eat as necessary.

If I relied on packaged, store-bought foods, I'd go broke.
    I don't have time to learn how to cook or follow a recipe.
    Then there is no hope and no solution to the problem you've chosen to have.
  • glassyo
    Options

I'm actually curious now. How are *they* getting fed?
  • catsdogsh
    Options

I'm actually curious now. How are *they* getting fed?

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I YOU are happy with frozen meals, and they fit in your calorie goals then go for it! I love to cook, but totally get it if people don't like it. Especially if you're just feeding yourself. I hate doing my taxes. That's why I hire an accountant. And I'd totally hire a housekeeper if I could afford it.

And slow cookers, bleh. I have about 5 recipes that are great in the slow cooker, but those chop & dump recipes on pinterest suck. Trust me, I've tried some of those, and I'd rather have a Lean Cuisine than chicken breast cooked into a mushy paste. Slow cookers are great at a few things, but I see too many people trying to make them do things they're just not made for, ruining perfectly good ingredients that would taste much better prepared other ways.