One tweak or change that helped

Options
Is there one thing that you did that made a difference: in how much weight you lost, how you felt in general, your hunger level, etc??

For me, giving up alcohol really helps me keep at my calorie goal. I also am trying to move to more "whole foods" because I'm realizing that I don't feel as good as I could eating processed foods.

What else have you done that's helped?

Replies

• sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Moving towards "whole" foods and weighing everything are the big ones for me.
  • xcaranicolex
    xcaranicolex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Losing the all or nothing mentality made a huge difference. One bad day doesn't mean failure over all. It took me a long time to realize that and I still every now and then struggle w that sort of thinking but perspective helps.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Logging everyday and weighing my food on a food scale.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Weighing everything and moving away from the idea of 'forbidden foods.' There's some things I don't eat nearly as often as I used to because the calories just aren't worth it for me currently but if I really want something I make it work.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not to demonize food, eat all food in moderation and that includes beer. I make it fit.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Getting a food scale! I was very off eyeballing portions
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Changing my thinking from I have to drop xyz pounds by 2 weeks to .. This is a lifetime journey, it never stops, so it doesn't matter when I lose it by, I will just keep going along on my journey
  • wsrep
    wsrep Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    #1 rule for me is I don't drink my calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think losing the fear of fat was the linchpin.
    Other tweaks: Learning about the hunger scale. Meal planning and conscious food shopping. Improved sleep routines. Replacing lots of my black-and-white/all-or-nothing mentality with nondualism. Understanding that I am in charge of my own life and my choices.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    When I first started I didn't have issues losing or being in a deficit, when things started to "stick" I stopped eating at the salad bar for lunch and eyeballing, and made sure to weigh on my lunches on a food scale the night before.

I also learned a high volume way of eating that is very satisfying to me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Being honest about what I was eating and drinking.

This, and getting a food scale.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Focusing on weekly rather than daily goals. I "save" calories during the week and "spend" them on weekends and special days out. It keeps me out of all-or-nothing thinking
  • ralexhou82
    ralexhou82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what others are saying...I am learning to be accurate with my logging. I have tried in the past with just estimating calories and it's a failure every time!
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    When I first started I didn't have issues losing or being in a deficit, when things started to "stick" I stopped eating at the salad bar for lunch and eyeballing, and made sure to weigh on my lunches on a food scale the night before.

I also learned a high volume way of eating that is very satisfying to me.

So what is this "high volume" way? Just a lot more veggies?
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    All great and inspirational ideas!
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Weekly calorie count/calorie banking versus daily.

Getting out of the mindset of getting slim for an event. This is a thing that's gonna take as long as it's gonna take, and it has to be for me, not for a wedding or a vacation or whatever. I think that only leads to disappointment.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Planning my days in advance.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cutting sugar and starches. It made eating less easier and improved some health issues.
  • ElegantElle
    ElegantElle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fidgeting, I know it sounds dumb but I make an effort to fidget. I have a stationary job. I'm stuck at a desk and rarely have time to get to a bathroom much less walk. Making time to stand up and bouncing my knees during my 12hr shifts is just my little way to burn a few more calories.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Crochet. As odd as it probably sounds, it's true! I used to always snack or drink wine while I was studying or watching TV at night. Crochet gives me something to do with my hands so I don't eat.