If you were going to test out a back injury...

Options
I've had a bad back strain, psoes muscle, nerves, and SI Joint dislocation the last 5 months. It seems to be better the last 2 weeks (no more feeling like I'm sitting on a rock and the bulge in my back is pretty much gone...just feeling very tender and sore) and I'm thinking about testing it out a little bit and hoping this is a smart idea. Right now I have been walking 3-4 miles a day the last 2-3 months.

One doctor is telling me to do short 100 yard jogging intervals to avoid injuring my hip on the eliptical
One doctor is telling me to do light slow work on the eliptical because the pavement/treadmill jars the back when jogging

Just curouis what you might do?

Replies

• chiroGirl77
    Options
    I have had very similar injuries and am in chiropractic school. You need to listen to your body and take it slow. I would start out with light work for the first week and then every week add about 10% to that and see how your body responds. From what it looks like in your post both MD's are saying the same thing. The elliptical is a jogging motion either way... it just puts less strain on your back then jogging on a t-mill or jogging on the ground. Just take it slow and see how you feel! The last thing you would want is to re-injure yourself. I know how much it stinks. I had injections into my hip and SI joint and many injections in my back. It was a long road to recovery. Good luck and good health!!!!

B.S. Health and Physical Fitness
    M.S. Sport Science
    D.C. Doctor of Chiropractic.... soon :)
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had injections into my hip and SI joint and many injections in my back. It was a long road to recovery. Good luck and good health!!!!

I wish they would have done that to me - a couple shots may have been all it took to get me over the edge

If I was a professional athlete, I would have gotten a series of shots no questions asked.
  • chiroGirl77
    Options
    I went to 4 doctors and numerous invasive procedures on my back before they finally listened. It was about one year after the accident happened that I found a DO and told him that I don't believe it is only my back and that my hip was not right. It was truly the most miserable time of my life. I just started back at the gym and training again. This happened 3 years ago. So I know what you are going through. I really started hating medicine after all I went through. Going to an upper cervical doctor of chiropractic has truly changed my life and I can't wait to help others get back their life! I would highly recommend it!!!!!