Cardio vs weights

Options

Replies

• WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    How about we recognized that there is more than one path to health and fitness? I love weightlifting. Love it, but I know plenty of fit people who don't. People can also get strong, for example, with body weight exercises. Enjoy your passion and let others enjoy theirs.

I don't disagree. I do however think (I could totally be wrong) that there are a lot of people that want to achieve a certain body type and they think they are doing the right thing to get there but are actually going in the wrong direction, or at least could be a lot more efficient at getting there. It's hard enough as it is to get fit when you know what you're doing, but if you don't, you could really be wasting time, energy, and $$$$.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Lifting Heavy is for Big muscle gain..lifting lighter and more reps will tone you..depends on what each person is looking for..
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ssteria01 wrote: »
    I got way stronger from cycling. I live in a hilly place so every day is leg day.

Were you only doing cycling?? And no weight training along with it?

Well, every time I ride my bike up a hill, I'm carrying my weight (which used to be a lot more than it is now) up that hill.

I got a new bike January 20; so far I have 771 miles on it and 43,000 feet of elevation gain on it. Began strength training (body weight only, stuff like pushups, dips, leg lifts) on Feb 29. I've also been hiking and walking, but everything is a drop in the bucket compared to cycling. Which, again, is weight training for the legs.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Lifting Heavy is for Big muscle gain..lifting lighter and more reps will tone you..depends on what each person is looking for..

That is absolutely not true.
  • WilsonFilson
    Options

That's #broscience

Lifting heavy has been shown time and time again to be the most effective way of developing muscle. Getting "toned" is the result of building muscle and losing fat. Light weight/high rep work (unless you are also mixing in heavy weight, low rep work) is only effective for those on juice.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    And on top of that, men LOVE to see females lifting heavy in the gym! Trust me on this

I have never walked into my gym like, "Awesome! There's a woman in the squat rack. How cool!"
  • ssteria01
    ssteria01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay... so because you like that look all women should? Don't diss someone else's body because you think yours is the be all end all. Every body type is good. Women shouldn't feel pressured to look any certain way. Women should be happy and comfortble. So if they want muscles, good. If they don't? Good. Women with less muscles aren't ugly or weak. You don't have to have a lot of muscles to look healthy or be healthy either.
    How about we recognized that there is more than one path to health and fitness? I love weightlifting. Love it, but I know plenty of fit people who don't. People can also get strong, for example, with body weight exercises. Enjoy your passion and let others enjoy theirs.

Y'all are taking this way to personal. Women tend to have this idea (my friends included) that ONLY cardio will get you strong and fit. Cardio; as in a treadmill. My post was about not just doing cardio, to do BOTH, I even stated that I do cardio.

And I wasn't putting any ones body down, I would never do that. But since you wanted to take it that way...that's on you and your own thoughts.. Chill out.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with cardio, just like there is nothing wrong with women lifting heavy. Anything that gets someone active and off their *kitten* is a good thing. To each their own...seriously.

I never said there was anything wrong with cardio, (I do cardio myself) but doing only cardio is not the best method. You will plateau in your weight loss or strength progression; which ever your goal is. Mixing up the different types of exercise is the best for your body.

I agree that strength training and cardio are both beneficial especially for your health BUT your post comes off as judgmental. Like the way you workout is superior to how others' CHOOSE to workout.
    ALOT of females think that Cardio is the way to go....that could NOT be more wrong. Why restrict your body to just cardio?

Maybe it is the way to go for some people, but really it's not your business just like it's not mine.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Okay... so because you like that look all women should? Don't diss someone else's body because you think yours is the be all end all. Every body type is good. Women shouldn't feel pressured to look any certain way. Women should be happy and comfortble. So if they want muscles, good. If they don't? Good. Women with less muscles aren't ugly or weak. You don't have to have a lot of muscles to look healthy or be healthy either.

Y'all are taking this way to personal. Women tend to have this idea (my friends included) that ONLY cardio will get you strong and fit. Cardio; as in a treadmill. My post was about not just doing cardio, to do BOTH, I even stated that I do cardio.

And I wasn't putting any ones body down, I would never do that. But since you wanted to take it that way...that's on you and your own thoughts.. Chill out.

It's not personal. Your post comes off as a bit preachy and we don't need more of it. It's akin to the IIFYM preaching. I may agree but it ain't helping. As for women lifting, my lifting partner is one of them there womenz.
  • ssteria01
    Options

That's #broscience

Lifting heavy has been shown time and time again to be the most effective way of developing muscle. Getting "toned" is the result of building muscle and losing fat. Light weight/high rep work (unless you are also mixing in heavy weight, low rep work) is only effective for those on juice.

Thank you for this! At least some people are knowledgable and arent just putting in their two cents cuz they wanna talk about something they know nothing about
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with cardio, just like there is nothing wrong with women lifting heavy. Anything that gets someone active and off their *kitten* is a good thing. To each their own...seriously.

I never said there was anything wrong with cardio, (I do cardio myself) but doing only cardio is not the best method. You will plateau in your weight loss or strength progression; which ever your goal is. Mixing up the different types of exercise is the best for your body.

What if your goal is to run a marathon?
  • WilsonFilson
    Options

I agree that strength training and cardio are both beneficial especially for your health BUT your post comes off as judgmental. Like the way you workout is superior to how others' CHOOSE to workout.
    ALOT of females think that Cardio is the way to go....that could NOT be more wrong. Why restrict your body to just cardio?

Maybe it is the way to go for some people, but really it's not your business just like it's not mine.

Ok, but if someone is in here thinking "why aren't my cardio workouts more effective for developing the body type I want," don't you think it would be helpful for them to see a post like this? If someone does cardio because they just love doing cardio, that's one thing. If they're doing it because they want to build muscle and become toned, that's unfortunate. We should be trying to help others learn, not be so set in what we do that if someone suggests something else we get defensive.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Apart from this bit:

If you want to be a thin stick with no muscle tone, then sure stick to just cardio. BUT if you want to be strong, have curves and look healthy and fit, then don't forget to lift heavy!!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That's #broscience

Thank you for this! At least some people are knowledgable and arent just putting in their two cents cuz they wanna talk about something they know nothing about

"Something they know nothing about"? You have 14 posts. How about learning your audience before sending out a diatribe?
  • WilsonFilson
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

Apart from this bit:

If you want to be a thin stick with no muscle tone, then sure stick to just cardio. BUT if you want to be strong, have curves and look healthy and fit, then don't forget to lift heavy!!

Truedat.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    *takes cover in the Smith Machine*
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Ok, but if someone is in here thinking "why aren't my cardio workouts more effective for developing the body type I want," don't you think it would be helpful for them to see a post like this? If someone does cardio because they just love doing cardio, that's one thing. If they're doing it because they want to build muscle and become toned, that's unfortunate. We should be trying to help others learn, not be so set in what we do that if someone suggests something else we get defensive.

It wasn't the message that she was conveying that people are upset about. It's the matter of fact, somewhat derogatory way she delivered said message. I don't know that there is a more often recommendation than "lift heavy" on the mfp forums. It's kind of a staple.
  • WilsonFilson
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

What if your goal is to run a marathon?

Can you do it in a squat rack?
  • ssteria01
    Options

jemhh wrote: »

That's #broscience

"Something they know nothing about"? You have 14 posts. How about learning your audience before sending out a diatribe?

There are hundreds and hundreds of people on this app...so just because you don't relate to my post, doesn't mean someone else didn't or that someone didn't learn something. My "audience" are fit people, people trying to lose weight, people trying to get stronger, people looking for motivation, along with other things. So don't say I need to learn my audience....it's not just about YOU, it's everyone out there, don't have tunnel vision.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is that claim that lifting burns more fat than cardio actually true? I'd like to see some literature on that.

Partially true. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25162652

HIIT takes home the gold. Then resistance training (heavy), then steady state cardio.

Exercising with weights had the lowest burn in that paper.
    Also cardio at 70% is half *kitten* cardio.